March 1st I weighed 250 pounds.......

Wow thanks I was hoping someone wouldn't mock me for bragging like a girl about a weight loss :D. After a visit to the Dr. and him telling me I was a prime candidate for a heart attack (Age 56), I decided to go all in. I started walking a mile every morning until I reached 3 miles and I continue to do that every morning. Next I completly eliminated sugar and junk food from my diet. The first 6 months I kept my calorie input at less than 1500 cal. I also stopped drinking alcohol also although I never drank that much only a beer here and there. Most of my diet is plant based with some lean protein. I also don't cheat on my diet because I really want to keep the weight off and actually I kind of prefer eating healthy now. It is a lot of work and I just take it a day at a time and weigh myself everyday.

Congratulations! Are you limiting fats in your diet as well? Curious!

Would also be interested to know if you are limiting fats. Or, perhaps limiting intake to specific fats only? Also, once you reach your goal weight, will you still restrict calories to maintain the loss, and if so to what level, I assume greater than the 1500 you mention for now? For many, myself included, losing is not always the problem, it is keeping it off and avoiding the yo yo effect, which in the worst case can leave one fatter than at the start of the diet.

Wow thanks I was hoping someone wouldn't mock me for bragging like a girl about a weight loss :D. After a visit to the Dr. and him telling me I was a prime candidate for a heart attack (Age 56), I decided to go all in. I started walking a mile every morning until I reached 3 miles and I continue to do that every morning. Next I completly eliminated sugar and junk food from my diet. The first 6 months I kept my calorie input at less than 1500 cal. I also stopped drinking alcohol also although I never drank that much only a beer here and there. Most of my diet is plant based with some lean protein. I also don't cheat on my diet because I really want to keep the weight off and actually I kind of prefer eating healthy now. It is a lot of work and I just take it a day at a time and weigh myself everyday.

Fantastic job. I too need to accomplish what you did but I am lacking in the “all in Dept”. I’m good for 60 days or so then the carb voices sing such an alluring song.....

Today I tipped the scales at 175. :dance: Best health decision I ever made. Haven't felt this good in many years.

Congrats! One of the greatest opportunities of ER is possible better health. Exercise has become a significant part of every day. However as I age I'm finding much to my chagrin that diet is a much more important factor than in my younger years. There's no way I can exercise off an extra 800 calories .
My next goal is to concentrate on using my new found time to prepare and consume a better diet. I'm down about 34 lbs in 19 months so its pretty slow going. Hopefully a better diet will get me the final 20.

Would also be interested to know if you are limiting fats. Or, perhaps limiting intake to specific fats only? Also, once you reach your goal weight, will you still restrict calories to maintain the loss, and if so to what level, I assume greater than the 1500 you mention for now? For many, myself included, losing is not always the problem, it is keeping it off and avoiding the yo yo effect, which in the worst case can leave one fatter than at the start of the diet.

I have done this twice before but also had trouble keeping it off. Weighing myself every day has helped. If I'm up a pound or two I take it easy that day. I don't really count calories anymore but I would imagine my calorie intake is around 2000 now and I'm staying right around 175-177. I've kept it off for two months.

congratulations! and you did it the right way, by changing your eating habits in a sustainable manner. I've dropped 25% of my weight since retiring by doing exactly the same, although I dropped less then a pound a week. Keep it up!

Congrats! Never under estimate the benefits of walking. Back when I was 59, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in August of that year and had weighed 215 lbs. After walking 3 miles/day for the next three months, I reduced down to 175 lbs. That also included eating better, fewer calories and healthier choices. I am now 68 and still weigh in the 170-175 lb range and have not registered another diabetic A1C reading.

Bravo!!! i took off some 50 pounds 18 years ago, and kept it off. Like you, I started with a walking regimen, which ultimately led to running. My diet was not as tight as yours, but I did limit fats and to this day "diet" mainly by portion control. Portion control can be another tool in your diet arsenal to maintain your commendable weight loss.
Congrats to you, and you have every right to brag.

Great work and sounds like you did it the right way. Keep it up.

That's great. Now remember how much better you feel now than before so you can keep it off! Congrats!

Congratulations. You've done better than me both in terms of total weight and speed to that loss. I peaked at 225 and I'm down to 175. I started on Weight Watchers and that was eye opening. I was a cereal lover. Little did I realize that my Jethro bowl was about 3-5 servings. Same with ice cream. Lost most of my weight on WW and then held steady. My number one goal is to never gain back what I lose (recognizing a couple pound variation on any given day). Then I lost a bit more just eating less but not strict WW. Now I'm on more of a Paleo diet (no grains, no dairy) and that only got me a copy more pounds, but I feel a lot better and my bloodwork is a lot better. My ideal weight is around 165. I'm currently working to get under 170. At this point it's easy does it and keep with the program - never gain back what I lose. I lost about 5 pounds this year (so yes, very slow), but going in the right direction and not really trying too hard any more.

Two main "tricks". First, DW is on board even though she didn't really need to lose weight. It helps a ton to have everyone in the house eating healthy. Second, you can eat out, but you really have to primarily eat at home. There's nothing like the quality control at home - both in terms of portion size and quality of ingredients.

Again - Congratulations and focus on keeping it off.

That's right eating out is a challenge for me too. I've actually found that a local buffet place is now my friend, for I can choose only the no sugar/low or no carb offerings, and still get a decent meal without feeling deprived or driving the waitress/chef crazy with a lot of questions and change requests in terms of meal preparation.

Here's hoping we all keep it off this time. Congratulations, again, to the OP. and thanks for this thread.

Way to go! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you have tremendous willpower and dedication to your health. Stay well!

Back
Top Bottom