My truck was broken into yesterday...

dirtbiker

Full time employment: Posting here.
Last night I left my office and hopped into my pickup. I noticed my front and rear passenger doors were ajar, and upon further inspection, I noticed the my glove box and cab were gone through and disheveled. A quick search revealed my coat, a tablet, flashlight, portable air pump, and electric shaver were missing. As I was riding home, I decided to report it to police, not that I expected them to catch the thief. I left a message and they said they'd call me back. I pulled into a gas station a couple miles down the road from my office, and as I was pumping gas, I got a call back from the local police station. As I was going through what happened, I saw a shifty looking guy wearing what appeared to be my coat! I told the officer on the phone that I know it sounds crazy, but I think the guy that broke into my truck is down the road at the gas station right in front of me.

The first police officer showed up crazy quick, probably 30 seconds later. The guy gave a small chase, but was quickly and easily apprehended. It was definitely the guy, and in addition to my coat he was wearing, he also had everything else on him that was stolen from my truck. I couldn't believe my luck! I should have bought a damn lottery ticket!

And note to self, don't leave your truck unlocked, dummy. :LOL:

Wow! I’m guessing the odds of that are higher than the lottery. Glad for you.

More important than locking you car is to not leave anything you car about in it. I know that sucks, but I realized that reality once when I had a car stolen. I was so glad I didn’t have any of my work documents in the car.

And note to the thief, don't wear a stolen coat in public right after taking it!

I got everything back right then and there. Easy peasy. I just had to write up a victim statement and fax it into them this morning. May have to go to court if he contests the charges... But I think this is an open and shut case. Lol.

And yes, agreed, don't leave valuables in the car either. The tablet is actually hard-wired in the back seat for the kids to watch movies on long car trips. It's a cheap <$200 tablet. I probably should remove it, and only install it when on long trips...

That is some incredible coincidence of circumstance being there and catching the guy! Unfortunately with the way courts are now, the guy will get out in only hours after being booked, on his own recognizance. With (probably) many other arrests for similar theft.

That is some incredible coincidence of circumstance being there and catching the guy! Unfortunately with the way courts are now, the guy will get out in only hours after being booked, on his own recognizance. With (probably) many other arrests for similar theft.

Oh, I forgot to mention, he already had a warrant out for his arrest. I'm not sure what the warrant was for. The cop also already knew who he was immediately. So, a known scumbag.

Nice story ending! I had a similar story, when my bike was stolen. I road over to a local supermarket, for some crackers. I should have went with my intuition because there was a guy hanging out out one door and I just felt like he was going to steal my bike. I road down the other opening and parked my bike. I went in the store and the guy passed me, I thought OK, he's shopping. I hustled back to get the crackers and sat them on the cash register and went out to check my bike, it was gone! I made a police report, the store had his picture when he walked in, Large silver chain with a cross on it. I paid for my crackers and walked home. I called my wife and told her what happened. She left work early thinking she would find my bike. Right!
She called me and ask what my seat said on the back, I told her and she said, I think I see your bike. I put on my slip on shoes and drove my truck about 1 mile to the gas station said she saw it. Yep, there it was and the guy that stole it was sitting there with it. I ran up to him and reached for that Large silver chain, he deflected my arm and the chase was on. Within 15 ft I lost both my shoes, he's running trough the parking lot and I'm telling people to grab him. Funny no one did :). I chased him until I couldn't, went back to the station, loaded up my bike and started home, I took a few side roads, didn't see him and got back on the main rode home, and their he was walking on the other side of the road. I pulled across the street, jumped out and yelled in a an authoritative voice, SIT DOWN! He started a sideways slide and then again, the chase was on. This time I followed with my truck. He turned a corner and was on the sidewalk, I drove to the end of the short block, he turned around, I pealed back to the other corner, he turned around again, we did this a few time and then my wife caught up, she called a police man friend of hers that was on just two blocks away. He arrested the guy then original officer that took the report showed up and took over. The guy got 4 days in jail. I got my bike back, missing a few accessories. My adrenaline was running pretty, I let him know his mother failed him and didn't know how to raise a man. The guy was 50 years old stealing bikes!
Sorry got carried away telling my story! :dance:

To OP: What a wild story. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Nice story ending! I had a similar story, when my bike was stolen. I road over to a local supermarket, for some crackers. I should have went with my intuition because there was a guy hanging out out one door and I just felt like he was going to steal my bike. I road down the other opening and parked my bike. I went in the store and the guy passed me, I thought OK, he's shopping. I hustled back to get the crackers and sat them on the cash register and went out to check my bike, it was gone! I made a police report, the store had his picture when he walked in, Large silver chain with a cross on it. I paid for my crackers and walked home. I called my wife and told her what happened. She left work early thinking she would find my bike. Right!
She called me and ask what my seat said on the back, I told her and she said, I think I see your bike. I put on my slip on shoes and drove my truck about 1 mile to the gas station said she saw it. Yep, there it was and the guy that stole it was sitting there with it. I ran up to him and reached for that Large silver chain, he deflected my arm and the chase was on. Within 15 ft I lost both my shoes, he's running trough the parking lot and I'm telling people to grab him. Funny no one did :). I chased him until I couldn't, went back to the station, loaded up my bike and started home, I took a few side roads, didn't see him and got back on the main rode home, and their he was walking on the other side of the road. I pulled across the street, jumped out and yelled in a an authoritative voice, SIT DOWN! He started a sideways slide and then again, the chase was on. This time I followed with my truck. He turned a corner and was on the sidewalk, I drove to the end of the short block, he turned around, I pealed back to the other corner, he turned around again, we did this a few time and then my wife caught up, she called a police man friend of hers that was on just two blocks away. He arrested the guy then original officer that took the report showed up and took over. The guy got 4 days in jail. I got my bike back, missing a few accessories. My adrenaline was running pretty, I let him know his mother failed him and didn't know how to raise a man. The guy was 50 years old stealing bikes!
Sorry got carried away telling my story! :dance:

Crazy story! More exciting than mine! As much as I wanted to tackle the guy to the ground, I was happy hanging back and letting the police officer do his thing.

Last night I left my office and hopped into my pickup. I noticed my front and rear passenger doors were ajar, and upon further inspection, I noticed the my glove box and cab were gone through and disheveled. A quick search revealed my coat, a tablet, flashlight, portable air pump, and electric shaver were missing. As I was riding home, I decided to report it to police, not that I expected them to catch the thief. I left a message and they said they'd call me back. I pulled into a gas station a couple miles down the road from my office, and as I was pumping gas, I got a call back from the local police station. As I was going through what happened, I saw a shifty looking guy wearing what appeared to be my coat! I told the officer on the phone that I know it sounds crazy, but I think the guy that broke into my truck is down the road at the gas station right in front of me.

The first police officer showed up crazy quick, probably 30 seconds later. The guy gave a small chase, but was quickly and easily apprehended. It was definitely the guy, and in addition to my coat he was wearing, he also had everything else on him that was stolen from my truck. I couldn't believe my luck! I should have bought a damn lottery ticket!

And note to self, don't leave your truck unlocked, dummy. :LOL:

WOW! That is amazing and glad it worked out for you.

I'll add to the story of my wife finding my stolen bike.
We had a small outdoor business on a marina, one of our regulars came and placed an order and then decided to wonder the marina for a bit. He left his wallet laying on the bench. In the mean time I got 3 young male customers, I made a transaction with them and they left, soon I realized the wallet was gone and so did the owner. My wife had been around and saw the truck they left in and ethnic identification and said, I think I know what neighborhood they live in, She left and 20 minutes later she came back with the guys wallet. She saw the truck got out and checked the radiator for heat, it was hot! She walked up to the door, before she even knocked the door opened far enough for a hand to come out with the wallet, and a voice saying we were going to bring it back. I have to add, my wife a hulking 4'6" tall and petite, well except for her attitude:)!
The guy was thrilled, it wasn't the money, it was all they cards and stuff you carry in your wallet, that would need replacement.

After these incidents, my wife got a lot of ribbing for her sleuthing abilities.

Dirtbiker,

Like a scene from the movies. You spotting him.

Just hope the he didn't use your electric shaver. Otherwise, kinda gross.

Glad you got your stuff back!

This would be a great episode for the "World's Dumbest/Unluckiest Criminals" TV show.

More important than locking you car is to not leave anything you car about in it.

Very true. Around here they have signs in the parking areas at trailheads that remind people "To a thief, everything has value."

Congrats on your stroke of luck, OP! You’re lucky he didn’t have your catalytic converter in the pocket of your coat. CC thefts have been an “epidemic within the epidemic” around here.

Oh, I forgot to mention, he already had a warrant out for his arrest. I'm not sure what the warrant was for. The cop also already knew who he was immediately. So, a known scumbag.
Glad they caught him.... Maybe he'll use his stimulus check (I'm sure he'll get one and I won't) to pay his bail...:)

I too have a story to tell.

My son and his wife have a business just beyond the city limits on a dead-end road. A thief stole an employee's car that was a stick shift and had a glitch in its transmission. The thief was distracted by the problem he was having changing gears so turned the wrong way- toward the dead end. My husband saw what happened and gave chase on foot, son came quickly after grabbing some zip-ties and calling the police. The gathering crowd of employees and family convinced the thief to exit the car, lie down face first on the pavement while my son used the zip ties as handcuffs. The first cop to arrive was from the city, minutes later the county sheriff arrived. The sheriff checked to makeshift handcuffs and uttered, "Good job!" The perp was laughing, saying that the city jail was full and he would be released before dinner. Son smiled and told him that he wasn't in the city and that the county jail was where he was headed. The county was known to have bed space. County-issued cuffs were applied, off the perp went to jail. The employee returned his vehicle to his parking space.

Update: I got a call from the arresting officer yesterday. He notified me that the guy who broke into my car was recently released from prison, and was wanted for another break-in as well as parole violations. He has two previous vehicular theft convictions, so this one will be tried as a felony. He admitted to it, so I won't have to go to court. He's currently in county jail with a straight $25k bail until his trial.

Update: I got a call from the arresting officer yesterday. He notified me that the guy who broke into my car was recently released from prison, and was wanted for another break-in as well as parole violations. He has two previous vehicular theft convictions, so this one will be tried as a felony. He admitted to it, so I won't have to go to court. He's currently in county jail with a straight $25k bail until his trial.
^^^^^ It would appear, that our intense, elaborate, and well funded prison rehabilitation programs have failed us again. :rolleyes:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About 40 years ago, I had a car stolen right out of my driveway... I was working "overtime" on a Saturday night when the DW called me about midnight and told me she heard the car as it was being driven away. I came home immediately and called the cops. After that I did drive around our area looking for the vehicle... It's probably best that I didn't find it that night.

The next morning the cops called to say the vehicle had been recovered after a short car chase... I had to pay for the towing and storage fee as well as about ~$500 in damage. They caught one of the three men that ran from the car once the police stopped it. I often wondered but I never found out what happen to him.

Last edited:
I'll add to the story of my wife finding my stolen bike.
We had a small outdoor business on a marina, one of our regulars came and placed an order and then decided to wonder the marina for a bit. He left his wallet laying on the bench. In the mean time I got 3 young male customers, I made a transaction with them and they left, soon I realized the wallet was gone and so did the owner. My wife had been around and saw the truck they left in and ethnic identification and said, I think I know what neighborhood they live in, She left and 20 minutes later she came back with the guys wallet. She saw the truck got out and checked the radiator for heat, it was hot! She walked up to the door, before she even knocked the door opened far enough for a hand to come out with the wallet, and a voice saying we were going to bring it back. I have to add, my wife a hulking 4'6" tall and petite, well except for her attitude:)!
The guy was thrilled, it wasn't the money, it was all they cards and stuff you carry in your wallet, that would need replacement.

After these incidents, my wife got a lot of ribbing for her sleuthing abilities.
This reminds me, decades ago I started keeping a spreadsheet of everything in my wallet, with account numbers, phone numbers, etc., so I would have all that information if I ever needed it. I stopped using a spreadsheet now that I can check much of it online, and things like my passport card and driver's license info and photos I keep in LastPass, but I wanted to suggest to the ER crowd that if you don't do this, it's very handy if you ever need it. And I hope you don't!

Back
Top Bottom