New Apple Watch Series 6

Katsmeow

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anyone getting the new Apple Watch Series 6. At first, I wasn't going to...but then decided to do it.

I have a Series 4. I wanted to upgrade last year for the always on display but they offered $100 trade in for my 1 year old watch. So, I just kept the watch another year.

I guess they want more trade ins this year as I was offered $140 for my 2 year old watch which seemed OK.

Some of the new things in the Series 6 I don't care about. The blood oxygen sensor is admittedly nice but I don't have any conditions that really require knowing that. Also, the always on altimeter is not important since I live in a 1 story house in a flat area.

But -- I still wanted the always on Display and this year it is brighter outdoors which is a plus. Also, while the battery life is no better, the charging is 20% faster which is a plus. It also has the U1 chip which will help with locating (once Apple fully implements it).

And, aesthetically, I like the blue aluminum that I ordered. Currently have the gold aluminum but ready for a change.

I decided to change from a 40 mm to 44 mm. Even though I am female I watched some videos and looked at pics of women with both sizes on and decided it would look OK on it. The extra screen real estate was just too tempting. Also the battery is better in the larger size. Yes, it is offset a bit by needing to power the larger size but reports are that battery life has been longer for the larger size. If I get it and decide it is too large, I will trade it for the smaller size.

I really wanted the blue braided loop band (I usually use cheap 3rd party bands but I liked this one). That and the solo loop have no fastener. You just put them over your wrist.

Well, I ordered and found it I wouldn't get to mid-November. So, today I cancelled and just order a regular (i.e. the current) blue sport loop and it is set for 10/1 delivery (would have been 9/25 if I had ordered it last night). I am ordering the braided loop separately.

For those who don't have an Apple Watch already there are some nice software updates. They weren't a factor for me as I get them with my series 4 anyway. I particularly like that you can know personalize your exercise and stand goals. Others are a handwashing recognition and timer and tracking and more workout types.

DH ordered one just a few hours ago. He went for Titanium! With a stainless graphite Milanese loop. This version belongs on the Blow that Dough 2020 thread!

DH does want the oximeter functionality.

His delivery estimate is 9/28.

He’s replacing a series 4 regular Apple Watch. He bought a stainless Milanese loop band for that watch a year ago and loved the band.

I’m still happily chugging along with my series 3.

Last edited:
I ordered a Series 6 yesterday. I've been waiting for this release to upgrade from my Series 3. I look forward to the extra health features, but mostly I want the always on screen. There are many times that the screen doesn't come on with my Series 3 that it's mildly annoying.

I did the trade-in and got $95 for the Series 3. Not bad for a three year old watch.

I originally ordered the charcoal braided loop, but ended up cancelling that order and getting the sport loop band, which is what I have now. The delivery dates were the same for me, but I decided I want the flexibility of an adjustable band, plus it was cheaper. I was hesitant to go with a single size band that I can't try out first. Maybe I'll go to the store at some point and try it out, but for now, the adjustable band will work out fine.

I ordered the 40mm version of the watch, even though I'm a guy. I had the smaller version of the Series 3 too. I never cared much for wearing a watch and don't feel I need a bigger screen. I'm still somewhat surprised I got used to wearing an Apple Watch, but I've learned to enjoy the features, such as Apple Pay.

The blue aluminum version looks nice. I was tempted to break out of my pattern of getting the space gray version with a black band, but failed this time around. Maybe next time!

DH ordered one just a few hours ago. He went for Titanium! With a stainless graphite Melanese loop. This version belongs on the Blow that Dough 2020 thread!

Nice!

Maybe I should consider adding this to my splurge bucket... :)

DH and I have the series 4 and decided to not order the 6. WRT 44m size Kats, it will fit fine. I have that one and my wrist is really really small...I get the child size pool bands when at beach resorts! So what is the loop band? Is it a stretch band? I have to get 3rd party bands as the small default band is too big for my wrist.

The Milanese loop is a super flexible stainless steel mesh band with a magnetic clasp. No, it doesn’t stretch - it’s continuously adjustable. It’s quite elegant.

I have a nylon weave sport loop on my watch, I really like it. It’s also continuously adjustable, but uses a Velcro clasp. I much prefer it to the original sport band.

Attachments

• 50FE6A40-A3C3-4FA2-9534-498D942EA117.jpeg
    50FE6A40-A3C3-4FA2-9534-498D942EA117.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I originally ordered the charcoal braided loop, but ended up cancelling that order and getting the sport loop band, which is what I have now. The delivery dates were the same for me, but I decided I want the flexibility of an adjustable band, plus it was cheaper. I was hesitant to go with a single size band that I can't try out first. Maybe I'll go to the store at some point and try it out, but for now, the adjustable band will work out fine.

The loops do come in sizes, but, they are not adjustable. I measured my wrist and picked one for the braided loop that will be a little loose but not too loose. I hope. I figure that if it doesn't fit properly I will just either return the band (if I don't like it) or trade it in for a better size.

DH and I have the series 4 and decided to not order the 6. WRT 44m size Kats, it will fit fine. I have that one and my wrist is really really small...I get the child size pool bands when at beach resorts! So what is the loop band? Is it a stretch band? I have to get 3rd party bands as the small default band is too big for my wrist.

Yes. There are two of them. A silicone band and the braided one. They come in 12 different sizes. Glad to hear the 44 mm works for you. I think I will like the greater screen real estate.

The Milanese loop is a super flexible stainless steel mesh band with a magnetic clasp. No, it doesn’t stretch - it’s continuously adjustable. It’s quite elegant.

I have a nylon weave sport loop on my watch, I really like it. It’s also continuously adjustable, but uses a Velcro clasp. I much prefer it to the original sport band.

These are the ones I wear...a stainless steel mesh one as well as a textured one. The photo they showed was completely different and DH and I couldn't figure out what they were talking about. Love the way the loop is so far down; my wrist is so small that when the band is taut, the band is doubled over plus some! I haven't found any, although I admit I haven't looked, short bands.

These are the ones I wear...a stainless steel mesh one as well as a textured one. The photo they showed was completely different and DH and I couldn't figure out what they were talking about. Love the way the loop is so far down; my wrist is so small that when the band is taut, the band is doubled over plus some! I haven't found any, although I admit I haven't looked, short bands.

You might take a look at the two new bands that have no fastener. You measure your wrist to determine size. They have some really small ones (there is a silicone and the braided. I am getting the braided).

You might take a look at the two new bands that have no fastener. You measure your wrist to determine size. They have some really small ones (there is a silicone and the braided. I am getting the braided).

Thank you, I'll check them out.

Frankly, I wish the Series 6 offered more as my Series 4 is wonky and I really wanted to replace it. We have pulse oximeters, so that function isn't needed. It was so frustrating working with Apple getting this one which was a replacement for my purchase where the LTE function did not work when my iphone was turned off. My Series 3 LTE never worked with the iphone off either.

This one will go into the various functions (weather and timer mostly) without my doing anything, however, the most annoying is it constantly turns off the sound causing me to miss calls and texts. oh well. If the 7 doesn't offer more, I'm still getting rid of this one!

So how do you get it off? Do you disengage it at the side of the watch or is there another way? In addition to nightly charging, I also like to take it off or totally loosen it after exercising and when I go out gardening (ruined my fitbit that way).

I have a Series 2 which struggles. For instance, it has to take time to load the Now Playing and Workout apps, which are the two most used apps.

It can't update to the latest OS either, says it doesn't have space.

Some third-party apps, it can't load at all.

However I don't wear it all the time, don't like the feeling on my wrist.

I would use it more for say hiking apps but it can't run it. So I was really looking forward to this update Series 6 but it looks like they make mild upgrades in processing power so I wonder if it will be any better for apps.

I'm not impressed by the blood oxygen. I have a $30 pulse oximeter which takes a few seconds, not 15 seconds. But it would be good to have the readings logged.

With the altimeter, I might be more motivated to try hiking uphill more but that's about it.

Really the SE might be enough but the price difference of $120 isn't that much.

For anyone looking at a new Apple Watch, here is a good comparison of the Series 6 and the SE.

Apple Watch Series 6 vs. Apple Watch SE Buyer's Guide

A few things that come to mind.

Series 6 does blood oxygen and has always-on screen.

Series 6 charges up faster.

Series 6 is the first Apple Watch with the U1 ultra band chip, which Apple first introduced with at least some of the iPhone 11 models last year.

They haven't said what they will use the U1 for but one possibility is the Car Key they're working on, which would use UWB chips to let you open and start some cars, more luxury models than say more basic models.

So how do you get it off? Do you disengage it at the side of the watch or is there another way? In addition to nightly charging, I also like to take it off or totally loosen it after exercising and when I go out gardening (ruined my fitbit that way).

For house chores I bought a soft elastic wrist band set that we use to protect the watch from scratches. Cheap on Amazon. That was done after I scratched my new watch on a rock when gardening.

My wife's friend had a bad fall off of a ladder picking apples. Luckily her watch alerted her husband. She is now in a cast for 2 months after fracturing 3 vertebraes. So for most activities I'd keep the watch on ... just in case.

Anyone getting the new Apple Watch Series 6. At first, I wasn't going to...but then decided to do it.

I have a Series 4. I wanted to upgrade last year for the always on display but they offered $100 trade in for my 1 year old watch. So, I just kept the watch another year.

I guess they want more trade ins this year as I was offered $140 for my 2 year old watch which seemed OK.

Some of the new things in the Series 6 I don't care about. The blood oxygen sensor is admittedly nice but I don't have any conditions that really require knowing that. Also, the always on altimeter is not important since I live in a 1 story house in a flat area.

But -- I still wanted the always on Display and this year it is brighter outdoors which is a plus. Also, while the battery life is no better, the charging is 20% faster which is a plus. It also has the U1 chip which will help with locating (once Apple fully implements it).

And, aesthetically, I like the blue aluminum that I ordered. Currently have the gold aluminum but ready for a change.

I decided to change from a 40 mm to 44 mm. Even though I am female I watched some videos and looked at pics of women with both sizes on and decided it would look OK on it. The extra screen real estate was just too tempting. Also the battery is better in the larger size. Yes, it is offset a bit by needing to power the larger size but reports are that battery life has been longer for the larger size. If I get it and decide it is too large, I will trade it for the smaller size.

I really wanted the blue braided loop band (I usually use cheap 3rd party bands but I liked this one). That and the solo loop have no fastener. You just put them over your wrist.

Well, I ordered and found it I wouldn't get to mid-November. So, today I cancelled and just order a regular (i.e. the current) blue sport loop and it is set for 10/1 delivery (would have been 9/25 if I had ordered it last night). I am ordering the braided loop separately.

For those who don't have an Apple Watch already there are some nice software updates. They weren't a factor for me as I get them with my series 4 anyway. I particularly like that you can know personalize your exercise and stand goals. Others are a handwashing recognition and timer and tracking and more workout types.

That red part is the most important. :);)

Hope you enjoy your new watch.

I ordered a Series 6 to replace my Series 3 on Tuesday. I also traded in for the $95 credit. I’m looking forward to the new features. Mine has not shipped yet.

I went with the 44mm Blue Aluminum case with the Deep Navy Sport Loop. I’ve had a Sport Loop on my current one and like it a lot.

I read today that the new Blood Oxygen readings require a snug fit and for the watch to be worn a distance away from the wrist. The adjustable loop I purchased should allow for that. I would worry that the new stretchy ones will only reliably work for that reading if you bought a size that is snug enough for your wrist size.

I ordered a Series 6 to replace my Series 3 on Tuesday. I also traded in for the $95 credit. I’m looking forward to the new features. Mine has not shipped yet.

I went with the 44mm Blue Aluminum case with the Deep Navy Sport Loop. I’ve had a Sport Loop on my current one and like it a lot.

I read today that the new Blood Oxygen readings require a snug fit and for the watch to be worn a distance away from the wrist. The adjustable loop I purchased should allow for that. I would worry that the new stretchy ones will only reliably work for that reading if you bought a size that is snug enough for your wrist size.

I don't know what the blood oxygen level is used for other then Covid. Do you need it while exercising.

I find the BPM reading (pulse rate) is very useful for running. But I also find that I have to clean the back of the watch every week or so to get reliable readings. Probably because of sweating while running.

The adjustable velcro like band is great for my needs as I don't like it too tight but it needs to be tight enough not to flop around while exercising. I would worry that the non-adjustable loop would not be comfortable for all activities.

I don't know what the blood oxygen level is used for other then Covid. Do you need it while exercising.

I find the BPM reading (pulse rate) is very useful for running. But I also find that I have to clean the back of the watch every week or so to get reliable readings. Probably because of sweating while running.

The adjustable velcro like band is great for my needs as I don't like it too tight but it needs to be tight enough not to flop around while exercising. I would worry that the non-adjustable loop would not be comfortable for all activities.

This is a pretty good explanation of what blood oxygen is and what it can impact.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321044

For house chores I bought a soft elastic wrist band set that we use to protect the watch from scratches. Cheap on Amazon. That was done after I scratched my new watch on a rock when gardening.

My wife's friend had a bad fall off of a ladder picking apples. Luckily her watch alerted her husband. She is now in a cast for 2 months after fracturing 3 vertebraes. So for most activities I'd keep the watch on ... just in case.

While gardening, I wear the watch if I'm doing stuff like watering or mild pruning. I take it off when playing with dirt. Even though I wear gloves, the dirt gets everywhere. I even asked when I bought my first watch and Apple suggested I take it off when playing in the dirt :LOL:.

My DW monitors her blood oxygen level several times per day since she has COPD. And she is on oxygen 100% of the time. We have oxygen making equipment in the house running 24/7/365.

I ordered a Series 6 GPS today. I will trade in my Series 3 Cellular for $95. I love my Series 3, but realized that I never use the cellular feature very much, and also I have to pay $15 a month for that cellular ability (that's $180 a year for something I don't use). The only time I've used it is when I'm on the roof, without my phone, needing to call my wife to open the window to let me back in! (Gutter cleaning, LOL).
So the trade-in, saving money on the non-cellular version long term, and all the new features of the Series 6 made me pull the trigger. I ordered the 44mm Silver Aluminum with the Charcoal Sport Loop. My only worry is that my Series 3 is 42mm (that's what came up in the trade-in dialog with my serial number), but I have small wrists (for a man) and I didn't want a smaller size (40mm) due to my aging eyes, so I ordered the 44mm. Hope I don't regret it! I figured my eyes aren't getting better, so a larger face will help; I just hope it doesn't look too big on my wrist.

Last edited:
My DW monitors her blood oxygen level several times per day since she has COPD. And she is on oxygen 100% of the time. We have oxygen making equipment in the house running 24/7/365.

That sounds tough. Does she monitor with the watch and/or other equipment? If multiple sources, do the readings match up reasonably well?

From New Scientist magazine:

Apple’s recently released Series 6 smart watch has a new feature: it can measure your blood oxygen levels. It works by shining a light onto the back of the wrist and measuring the light reflected back with embedded sensors. In a press statement, Apple was vague about the purpose, saying it offers “insight into overall wellness”. A spokesperson couldn’t share any published research showing how oxygen monitoring would help a typical healthy person. However, it could be useful for monitoring patients at home with conditions such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, writes our medical reporter, Clare Wilson. It could also help people who have been diagnosed with covid-19 and aren’t sick enough to be in hospital but want reassurance about their condition

Back
Top Bottom