New Apple Watch Series 6

Very interesting responses. Thanks!

It sounds like its improved a lot since the 2. I tried many of those things and just found it so clunky that it wasn't really usable. I was the guy in line at Starbucks or boarding a plan trying to get my cool watch to work with 20 irritated people standing behind, cards in hand and ready to move forward.

Maybe I will try again one day...

To board a plane? I’ve only ever used my phone for that.

Had the series 0 then 3.

Never had trouble with ApplePay from the watch. That is by far the most convenient way to use it.

My 6 is arriving on Monday. I am glad now I ordered it with the regular loop not the new solo loop or the braided loop. I ordered a braided loop separately because ordering it with the watch was going to delay the watch to November!

Anyway on the macrumors forum (my favorite source for detailed apple watch info) many people have found that the apple measuring tool or instructions for size of solo or braided band was off by a lot. Like the tool saying you needed a 6 or 7 and a 4 actually be the size you wanted.

If you have Apple Stores open in your area better to go measure there with actual bands. But, we don't have them open here so no option for that. Most people are being told that if they ordered a band with a watch and the band doesn't fit you have to trade in the watch for another one with a smaller band resulting in another long delay. At least if my braided band doesn't fit me in November, I can trade it in but will still have my watch available.

"I love my apple watch because it: ______________."

Back when I was still going to the gym, I could wear my watch in and leave my phone in the car and could listened to a podcast while exercising.

When I left my watch at my friend's house I could call her from my watch to tell her I was coming back for my phone.

I can glance down at my watch when I get a call and either reject it or answer it (or choose to answer on the phone). This is easier than looking around for the phone.

I can read texts and notifications on my apple watch. I can even do simple responses.

I can look down at my wrist and see a quick weather forecast (Carrot is a nice app although costs money) and see how I am doing on Steps (StepsApp) and see my progress on my movement ring. The calculator has been helpful on occasion as well. I also use this to quickly start a workout when I want to do one.

I can also glance down and see what time it is. I am looking forward to the 6 so I can have the always on display.

Oh, and podcasts are really nice to listen to while exercising or walking around.

LTE is definitely handy if you can’t remember to take your phone! LOL!

We got the LTE on our series 3 watches, but never turned it on. I think there were a couple of other features that we wanted in that model. We didn’t know if LTE would be that useful, but we never turned it on. I think one issue was we thought the data plans way overpriced. And we didn’t need it for using fitness apps outside away from the phone.

So, we’ve never used the LTE and when DH upgraded he didn’t get it.

WRT LTE, DH also got it with the Series 3. Never used it as he always remembers to take his phone with him. When we upgraded to the 4, only mine was LTE. Saved us $100 with purchase as well as $15/month data plan!

WRT LTE, DH also got it with the Series 3. Never used it as he always remembers to take his phone with him. When we upgraded to the 4, only mine was LTE. Saved us $100 with purchase as well as $15/month data plan!

Wow, $15 a month! I think it would be $10 for us. I was really hoping it would cost $5 a month.

Wow, $15 a month! I think it would be $10 for us. I was really hoping it would cost $5 a month.

AT&T. They also charge a $30 activation fee. Don't recall if this also occurs with each upgrade or just the first one.

Ours is also $10/mo...get ready + taxes & fees brings it to $15.15/month for the watch :mad:. I tend to think in total costs. It drives vendors nuts.

Just looked again at my latest AT&T bill to see if the watch taxes and fees are the same and as the phones' and they are. $4.78 in surcharges and fees aka as AT&T junk fees and $1.55 in Government taxes and fees.

We pay $80/month (Tmobil) for 2 adults, each with a cellular watch plus iphone. Affordable for us.

Ours is also $10/mo...get ready + taxes & fees brings it to $15.15/month for the watch :mad:. I tend to think in total costs. It drives vendors nuts.

We pay $10 at T-Mobile. Nothing else. One reason we switched to them from Verizon was to avoid the whole price + Taxes and Fees at verizon and AT&T.

For those with multiple people in the home with an apple watch the new family thing allows you to connect multiple apple watches to one phone. They designed it really for children but would work for a lot of couples as well. You only have to pay 1 cell phone subscription but 2 people get the benefit of having cellular service on the phone. In our house, DH doesn't have an Apple watch but if he did we would probably do this.

I received my new Series 6 on Thursday with a sport loop band like I had with my Series 3. Interestingly, the sport loop band is significantly shorter than my old one. It still fits, but barely will open up enough to get over my hand. The old one easily slid over my hand up to the wrist in one fluid movement. With the new one, I have to sort of wiggle my hand through the loop a couple times much like putting on gloves that are a tad bit small. It’s a good thing the new band looks so sexy on me or I’d be pissed.

Was going to order, get $65 trade in on a Series 2.

But realized I only wear it when I go out.

Maybe when I can travel again, I'll be more interested.

Even Blow That Dough isn't enough of an enticement, at least right now.

Just looked again at my latest AT&T bill to see if the watch taxes and fees are the same and as the phones' and they are. $4.78 in surcharges and fees aka as AT&T junk fees and $1.55 in Government taxes and fees.

So you're paying over $15 for that Watch, $10 for the Watch in the account and Over $6 more in additional fees and taxes?

Oh, that stinks. I’m on a taxes/fees included plan now, which I like, so I’m not anxious to add anything that piles on taxes and fees.

so is that $15+ in additional costs on an account with phone plans or just by itself?

Hard to believe adding a Watch to an account would increase taxes and fees by over $5.

Not necessarily the case with adding phones to an account, unless they hided these additional fees in "family plans."

So you're paying over $15 for that Watch, $10 for the Watch in the account and Over $6 more in additional fees and taxes?

Ooops...$4.20 in AT&T junk fees + $.99 in gov't fees = $5.19. $4.78 + $1.55 was for each phone.

Still, adding one additional device resulted in $5 in additional fees and taxes on the account?

This is what I paid last month for my Apple Series 3 Cellular version with AT&T.
I cancelled the service when I bought my Series 6 (non-cellular).
$15.31 total per month just for the Watch.

Attachments

• AT&T.jpg
    AT&T.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 36
Still, adding one additional device resulted in $5 in additional fees and taxes on the account?

Yes. DH & my bill = $35 + junk fees & gov't taxes as base cost. + $25 + junk fees & taxes for each phone + $10 + junk fees & taxes for my LTE watch.

We live in the hills and are limited to vendors that provide service. AT&T is the best for our address. As it is, we plus all of our neighbors still maintain a landline because of the louse cell service.

Edit to add: when DH was working, we had Verizon on his work cell phone which provided better coverage when traveling. Now that we're both retired we decided to go with AT&T.

Last edited:
Only makes sense if you like to go out a lot without your phone then.

Like maybe run regularly, where it would be advantageous not to have to carry a phone.

For hiking, maybe it would be good not to have to take a phone but I'd rather have a phone in that case than not.

However, you may be hiking in areas without a strong cell signal so a cell plan for the Watch wouldn't be as useful in that scenario.

To board a plane? I’ve only ever used my phone for that.

Had the series 0 then 3.

Never had trouble with ApplePay from the watch. That is by far the most convenient way to use it.

If I recall you could either use the american airlines watch complication put the boarding pass in the wallet and then pull that up from the phone.

Wasn't great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom