New Years Eve Roll Call

We are heading out soon (by mass transit). We will eat dinner out then walk around downtown Portland and view the white lights and people watch, then be home before 10pm.

It is also our 26th anniversary today.

Congratulations! :dance:

We are heading out soon (by mass transit). We will eat dinner out then walk around downtown Portland and view the white lights and people watch, then be home before 10pm.

It is also our 26th anniversary today.

Party at Helen's!

Congratulations!

Sounds like many here would agree with this view of NYE The Worst Holiday: New Year's Eve Is Overhyped and Anticlimactic - Conor Friedersdorf - The Atlantic, and I do as well.

But we always go out, since it's our anniversary dinner. It's nice that everyone puts on parties for us. :)

New Year's Eve was also my parents' wedding anniversary. They got married on the last day of 1951. I don't know why they chose that date, perhaps for a tax deduction, or because it was available. Why did the Midpacks choose New Year's Eve to get married?

Generally stay home. I don't want to be on the roads with all the drunks, esp if I might be one of them! And we are getting snow tonight.

We sometimes get together with people in the subdivision, driving a few blocks at most. Mostly a fancy dinner in. It was steak and lobster tails tonight, it was hectic, my timing was way off, but still everything got to the table done near perfectly. Sweet, succulent lobster, medium rare steak, and even DW chose my home brew over wine or commercial beer.

-ERD50

4:00 PM: The Duchess of redduck and I went out and brought in some Chinese food for dinner, planning to eat around 8:00 PM. Ate most of the Chinese food by 5:00 PM. The Duchess then had eggnog and rum and nutmeg. I took a two-hour nap. Woke up and watched an episode of Castle (tv show). Went to the ER board to see Meadbh's profile. Only found a few numbers and facts re: Meadbh, but not her profile. So, I still don't know what she looks like from the side. Anyhow, I'm going to have my eggnog, rum and nutmeg. Not sure if I'll be awake at 12. Don't much care, either. Happy New Year to you all.
I remain,
redduck

Watching football on TV with a glass of bubbly, enjoying Duke showing Texas A&M how to play the game, at least in the first half. Who knows what happens in the 2nd half. Would rather be in a sports bar in TX!

Happy 2014!

Yeah, we were watching the game and saw A & M pull it out (50 - 48)!:dance:

New Year's Eve was also my parents' wedding anniversary. They got married on the last day of 1951. I don't know why they chose that date, perhaps for a tax deduction, or because it was available. Why did the Midpacks choose New Year's Eve to get married?
It's actually Jan 1 for us, but we start celebrating on NYE knowing we'll be awake for our anniversary at midnight - 34th this year.

I got an unexpected job relocation/promotion that Dec so we had to move up our wedding (employer would not pay relocation for "us" unless married) but we held off until Jan 1 as it saved us $800 in taxes for the prior year. Romantic huh?

Last edited:
Happy Anniversary and Happy New Year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Happy Anniversary, Midpack!

And for you Young Dreamers, this is one of the keys to FIRE -- pick the right spouse and stick with her/him.

Had five other couples in for cards and celebration - good times.

And for you Young Dreamers, this is one of the keys to FIRE -- pick the right spouse and stick with her/him.
One of my favorite adages:

"Marry the right person. This one decision will determine 90% of your happiness or misery." Or stay unmarried if you wish.

One of my favorite adages:

"Marry the right person. This one decision will determine 90% of your happiness or misery." Or stay unmarried if you wish.

I choose to remain single because I would make any man's life a misery! I just don't know how people can stay together over decades.

:nonono:

We stayed in also and did not do anything special.

Happy Anniversary to Helen and Midpack.

...but we held off until Jan 1 as it saved us $800 in taxes for the prior year. Romantic huh?

Sounds like me and DW. When we became engaged she told her sister that we had calculated the impact of the marriage on income taxes (by hand, this was well before home computers) and SIL just rolled her eyes and said "Two peas in a pod".

We were going to stay in last night but then got a last-minute invite over to SIL's house for an impromptu gathering with some mutual friends. And they have an energetic house guest while their daughter & hubby are on a trip.

Attachments

• Captain-1.jpg
    Captain-1.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Captain-2.jpg
    Captain-2.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Captain-3.jpg
    Captain-3.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 10
  • Captain-5.jpg
    Captain-5.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 10
What happened, no one in Times Square?

1554515_10152126867704769_709650485_n.jpg

Well, we weren't either:LOL:, but did enjoy watching Johnnie Football come from behind, along with some nice red wine and pigs in a blanket.

Wishing everyone a healthy and prosperous New Year!

DW and I went to 2 parties, first a surprise birthday party then a New Years Eve party (the 2 locations were close). Got home at 2AM and stayed up for our own "private" party to watch the west coast welcome the New Year on TV before we crashed.

Happy Anniversary Helen!

Stayed in. Haven't gone out on NYE since brother and SIL were hit by an uninsured drunk driver on NYE and they had not had a drop to drink themselves. They were lucky as SIL ended up with a broken leg but no other injuries.
Shrimp and lobster for dinner, watched recorded shows on DVR, watched the ball drop in New York and then off to bed.

My buddy's band played, so we (DW and DD1) went out to a dive bar I'd never heard of before to support the band. I expected only InBev/MillerCoors megabrews (wasn't going to have a beer at all), but they had three locals on tap, plus some regional brews! And the locals were 2.77 a pint! Nice drinking a beer where you know the guy who actually brewed the beer while listening to music produced by your buddies while sitting with the wives and kids of the band members. A nice change from our usual stuggle to stay up until midnight and "cheers" with sparkling grape juice.

Back
Top Bottom