Our Car Hit by Driver on Cell Phone, Totalled

It looks like in California if you have uninsured motorist property damage your car damages will be covered if the other driver is uninsured or leaves the scene:
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage coverage works differently. If you don’t have comprehensive and collision coverage to cover the damage to your vehicle, and you’re hit by an at-fault uninsured motorist, UMPD will pay up to $3,500 to repair your car. If you do have comprehensive and collision coverage, and are hit by an at-fault uninsured motorist, your deductible will be waived if you purchase UMPD.

We were in a multi-car accident a while back and one of the drivers took off on foot but left the car there. The police pulled up the registration to find the owner and we had a good picture of the driver so it was easy for them to find her. She got a misdemeanor hit and run charge out of it. We did get the insurance info from the finalized police report - but it took a while for that to come back to us - something like a week or so.

That was really helpful that DH though to pull out his cell phone and take a picture of all the cars involved and the drivers as well..... Fortunately only our bumper had damage and no personal injuries.

Al - Sorry to see this. Give Lena my best, hope she heals quickly.

Last edited:
Hope she heals quickly.

I'm not one who would normally look to sue after a car accident, but with an accident that results from the negligence of the other driver (specifically involving a phone), I'm determined that I would sue. No doubt about it.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

Hope she heals quickly.

I'm not one who would normally look to sue after a car accident, but with an accident that results from the negligence of the other driver (specifically involving a phone), I'm determined that I would sue. No doubt about it.

Just remember, the person you sue needs to have assets, otherwise forget about it.

....I totalled my mom's car last summer. She had Farmer's insurance, and so far our experience with them has been great. My son had some minor pain and bruising from the seatbelt, but it was nothing major. They settled his claim against me for $500. My DH ruptured a tendon in his hand and required surgery. They covered all the medical bills in full, and have offered to settle his claim against me for $7500...

When you say "settled his claim" do you mean your son and husband sued you/Farmer's Insurance?

About 25 years ago, I was going through an intersection on green, and was t-boned. The lady who hit me went away in an ambulance unable to move her legs or arms. I was stunned, but not sore anywhere. The 8-10 witnesses all said the light was green for me and red for her (including several people who stopped for the red light when the lady blew past them!). When the officer went to the hospital to get the other driver's statement, she insisted the light was green for her. He told the lady the report was going to state she ran a red light and went down to the nurses station to write his report. While there the "paraplegic" lady came running out of her room demanding her clothes and someone to get her the h*ll out of there! This made the police officer feel better about assigning her the blame!
Three days later I went to the junk yard to get the personal belongings out of my car (totaled), and my wife asked why I was limping. When I sat in the car, I noticed the stick shift was touching my knee and sure enough there was a bruise on my knee. I never thought that the knee pain was from the accident, and if I had signed off on anything before going to the junk yard, I wouldn't have had the knee injury addressed in the settlement.

Hope she heals quickly.

There is no doubt that I would also sue. I have been hit from behind while waiting for a light to change because a young man was on his cell phone and not paying attentions. Police were there when it happened and would have charged him but I let it slide. Minutes later as we were driving down the road I saw him back on his cell phone. Never again.

This was the 4th time I was rear-ended while waiting at a stop light or sign by someone not paying attention although the other times it did not involve cell phones (pre cell phone days). I was not injured and let the insurance companies sort it out.

I have also had multiple very close calls with people on cell phones and would have been involved in a bad accidents if not for driving defensively and avoiding being killed. Some were while I was driving a car and other times while riding a motorcycle.

I don't care if it is a little old lady or some young kid. If I survive you can bet I will make every effort to take them for everything they have. If they hit/hurt my wife it could get really nasty.

Cheers!

The 8-10 witnesses all said the light was green for me and red for her (including several people who stopped for the red light when the lady blew past them!). When the officer went to the hospital to get the other driver's statement, she insisted the light was green for her.

And that's why I have dash cams in both of my cars.

Back
Top Bottom