Pickle Ball

Anybody out there play this fantastic retirement sport?

YES.
Just started playing it last month. My DGF and I love playing it. She can't run for tennis anymore, so it is great.
In our gated non 55+ plus community, we are waiting for approval to put permanent pickleball lines on one of the tennis courts and try to get a weekly game(s) going.

I've seen several members post about it in the past but can't recall exactly who right now.

I've played around with it a bit.

Once my wife fully retires and we move to our retirement home, I'll be playing at least twice per week.

DH and I started playing this summer, when our lake community put the lines on the tennis courts. We like it. We were never very good at tennis. We used to be competitive racquetball players, but that’s too intense for us now that we are 30 years older.

Hugely popular here in our central Florida 55+ community. I like playing but cycling takes precedence for early mornings for me. I’ll play more when it cools down a bit it the afternoon. The level of play of the really good players is impressive. I’d recommend giving it a try.

DH and I play probably 5 days a week. For about 2years. Once you start you want to play everyday. Very addictive.

My wife and I play pretty frequently, there's a group that plays routinely at our gym three days a week, and some friends have their own court. I play for a couple of hours before doing my normal workout. It's as much for social engagement as it is for competition, although it's easy to get into competitive games.

My wife and I play pretty frequently, there's a group that plays routinely at our gym three days a week, and some friends have their own court. I play for a couple of hours before doing my normal workout. It's as much for social engagement as it is for competition, although it's easy to get into competitive games.

Yes very easy to get competitive quick however also amazingly social

Quick rules question.
When one serves underhand, can one serve the ball in a slicing motion as long as your hand remains in the underhand motion?
I have heard yes and no.

Quick rules question.
When one serves underhand, can one serve the ball in a slicing motion as long as your hand remains in the underhand motion?
I have heard yes and no.

Yes as long as your serve remains under your waist you can slice

I have never played but have developed a strong interest. I will be spending January-March in The Villages, Florida, and there is a ton of play there. Up here in Upstate NY it is starting to gather a lot of interest. I didn't play much tennis, but I used to play a lot of platform tennis, and grew up with a table tennis bat in my hand, so I am hoping the hand-eye coordination, and just basic racket sense apply and help me gain some aptitude quickly.
Right now the issue is finding folks who are playing, and eager to bring in new players. Also, it's been too dang hot for a while.

I have never played but have developed a strong interest. I will be spending January-March in The Villages, Florida, and there is a ton of play there. Up here in Upstate NY it is starting to gather a lot of interest. I didn't play much tennis, but I used to play a lot of platform tennis, and grew up with a table tennis bat in my hand, so I am hoping the hand-eye coordination, and just basic racket sense apply and help me gain some aptitude quickly.
Right now the issue is finding folks who are playing, and eager to bring in new players. Also, it's been too dang hot for a while.

Anyone who has played table tennis/raquetball/tennis will be able to pick up the coordination of the game.
We are starting to see a groundswell of interest in our non retirement community.

Anyone who has played table tennis/raquetball/tennis will be able to pick up the coordination of the game.
We are starting to see a groundswell of interest in our non retirement community.

DW and I recently sold our home in the town and have moved "permanently" to our lake home. I have a choice between two golf courses I could join as a member. One course I like better than the other, but the course I like less has a much nicer practice facility, is 10 minutes away vs. 20 minutes away, and has just built a 2 court pickleball facility, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to join that one.

I was leaning that way because of the proximity, and because I do more golf practicing than golf playing (weird I know but I enjoy the process of it, very relaxing for me), but the pickleball court sealed the deal.

I cannot believe you only had 16 responses. I live in Bradenton, FL and understand we are near the epicenter of pickleball. This sport is exploding and I believe it is considered the fastest-growing sport in America. It really suits mature folks who played tennis and racquetball when they were younger. But also my DW, who at 58 years young has never competed against other humans in a sports environment, is hooked and absolutely loves this sport. If you a physically mobile, the basics of PB can be learned in just a few hours. Then, you just play to the limits of your physical ability. Its like playing pingpong, only you are standing on the table to play. Very, very fun!

We retired to Anthem Arizona which has also become PB Central absolutely a fun sport and no better way for seniors to quickly make friends and get a work out [emoji106][emoji971]

I cannot believe you only had 16 responses. I live in Bradenton, FL and understand we are near the epicenter of pickleball. This sport is exploding and I believe it is considered the fastest-growing sport in America. It really suits mature folks who played tennis and racquetball when they were younger. But also my DW, who at 58 years young has never competed against other humans in a sports environment, is hooked and absolutely loves this sport. If you a physically mobile, the basics of PB can be learned in just a few hours. Then, you just play to the limits of your physical ability. Its like playing pingpong, only you are standing on the table to play. Very, very fun!

Huge +1. See bolded - exactly my DGF except age 57. We are both hooked and try to play 5-6 times a week. Very deceptive workout.

Not for me! I tried this with my son after reading this post. First off, we are both 6ft and find the net to low to be of any use. Secondly, I was too worried I would fall off the table and break my hip.

DW and I both play. We both played tennis in the past and I played racquetball. I call pickleball the fun of doubles tennis with 1/2 the effort.

DW and I are both hooked. We are waiting to have our house built in a gated 55+ community in Central TX (with 8 outdoor dedicated pickleball courts with a plan to add 8 more) and we got introduced to the sport about a month and a half ago and we try to play 3 to 4 days a week now...although I recently tore my left calf muscle (grade 2 muscle strain) playing pickleball and will be on the shelf for the next 3-4 weeks...no pickleball, no hiking, no running, no golf. That sucks!
I am amazed at how some folks in our community, who are in their 70s, play pickleball quite well.

DW and I are both hooked. We are waiting to have our house built in a gated 55+ community in Central TX (with 8 outdoor dedicated pickleball courts with a plan to add 8 more) and we got introduced to the sport about a month and a half ago and we try to play 3 to 4 days a week now...although I recently tore my left calf muscle (grade 2 muscle strain) playing pickleball and will be on the shelf for the next 3-4 weeks...no pickleball, no hiking, no running, no golf. That sucks!
I am amazed at how some folks in our community, who are in their 70s, play pickleball quite well.

You are correct I have seen 80 plus Picklers doing amazingly well
No quicker way to make friends than playing PB while staying active [emoji106][emoji971]

I play. There are some great pickleball videos and coaches. Many of these I watch on youtube on my PC web browser where I use the gear icon and change the speed to x1.25 or x1.50. You will love these!

A solid coach: ThirdShotSports: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFXy3d28sy72PsyXMm8sZ2A/playlists

Pickleball Channel and specifically their '411' videos. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pickleball+411

Sarah Ansboury is excellent: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHuN2VCgXnwESfgmDTF-Ldg/videos

Deb Harrison is informative: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyhmm99XaLz9t-gHxiHBv-g/videos

Back
Top Bottom