Poll: Profession

My field of profession is/was I.T.

• True

Votes: 67 32.8%
  • False

Votes: 137 67.2%

• Total voters
I consume IT, does that count? Fighter pilot>test pilot>business development for defense contractor. Next career will be an amateur astrophysicist and dog saver.

Blue collar to White collar, life was better when it was blue collar.
So true for me too..... I truly liked my blue collar IT work... I could see the results of my work immediately and made things work. Pretty good salary and very satisfying work. Traded my hand tools and test equipment for a coat, tie, keyboard and crazy salary. Never was "really" happy or satisfied with working again. Funny what people will do for money. :cool:

Last edited:
Systems Engineer (R&D, product development/manufacturing) at mega Corp, had one lay-off mid-career and ended up with my own custom database software development company for 10 years (no business plan or real cleverness on my part, just sort of fell into it while pursuing graduate school in Geotechnical Engineering). Then back to different megacorp as systems Engineer.

I refused to let them make me a manager. I was, after all, INFJ...

Last edited:
Electronic tech on naval CV fighter platforms, Working on the jet and for a time circuit board troubleshooting.

holy carp that's a lot higher percentage than I thought!

Mechanical engineer in the electronics industry. Most of the products we designed were for the telecommunications industry - internet protocol products of a variety of types in recent years. I answered "False" even though I was surrounded by IT, just not the usual office IT stuff that most people think about.

I did not know how to vote. My first retirement was USAF as a pilot. My second was as an IT director, however it provides less than 25% of our retirement funds.

Last edited:
Careful, she’ll trade you in for a new recliner...
I must admit that even thinking about my new recliner (to be delivered in about 3-5 weeks) is pretty exciting, and I even have a photo of it on my computer desktop.... :D I probably have a photo of F somewhere too. :angel:

So true for me too..... I truly liked my blue collar IT work... I could see the results of my work immediately and made things work. Pretty good salary and very satisfying work. Traded my hand tools and test equipment for a coat, tie, keyboard and crazy salary. Never was "really" happy or satisfied with working again. Funny what people will do for money. :cool:

Understatement of the year.

Back
Top Bottom