Saved some money today

I've done my own brakes for years. The only cost to me is a set of ceramic pads. A few tools, a big C clamp and at the most an hour of my time, and I've saved enough money for my bride and I to have a really nice dinner out...
Disc brakes are the easiest DIY project ever, given the rotors are ok. They're way easier than an oil change, at least in the last few cars I've had. I roll the floor jack under, take off the wheel and have the new pads on in literally minutes.

I don't bother with oil changes myself any more because it requires two trips, one to get the new oil and another to dispose of the old oil. And there's always a "special" at the oil change place. You just have to be ready: before the oil change, search for and order air filters (both for the engine and cabin). Then when they try to upsell you, you say "yeah, I've got extra filters in the garage at home".

Bumping the thread to share frustration with my local stealership. Brought my car in for 30,000 mile oil change/tire rotation yesterday. I drive in and tell the adviser that I am there for an oil change and tire rotation. Adviser then asks me for the mileage and I turn on the key and tell him 30,059. He then goes into his pitch that in addition to the oil change and tire rotation that they recommend that I replace the brake fluid, differential fluids and a bunch of other stuff and hands me this dealership "Preferred Maintenance Guide" that has dealership recommended maintenance in 6,000 mile increments.

In addition to an oil change and tire rotation it recommends things like install premium engine protection, replace engine air filter, replace brake fluid, replace transmission fluid (non-CVT), install fuel system cleaner, add cooling system conditioner, replace differential fluids and replace PCV valve. So I retrieve the maintenance manual from the glovebox and the manufacturer's require maintenance is only an oil change, tire rotation and replace the air filter. I small a rat. For giggles, I ask him how much this 30,000 mile service package is and he says $499... I choked (actually I did... I started laughing and choked a bit).

I tell him that I'll just take the oil change and tire rotation and that I had previously done the engine air filter (which are the only require maintenance for 30,000 miles). And then I handed him a discount coupon that I printed off from their website which saved me $20 off their outrageous prices so my total was only about $80.

I also told him that I was put off by them pitching these additional services as "recommended" ... they are not recommended by the manufacturer but rather are recommended by the dealership.... and I wanted to talk with the service manager... he agreed but I never saw the guy... can you imagine that?

As I was checking out I told him that I just wanted to be clear that I only needed to do what the manufacturer's manual requires to keep in good standing for the bumper-to-bumper and powertrain warranties and he said yes, but that those other recommended services were "good for the car".... I said perhaps, but they are even better for the service department's bottom line.

I can easily see my mom or DW or DD falling for the pitch and it makes me :mad:

Then today I got the customary email asking me how my service visit was and my response would not fit in the text box so I sent them an email.

Bumping the thread to share frustration with my local stealership. Brought my car in for 30,000 mile oil change/tire rotation yesterday. I drive in and tell the adviser that I am there for an oil change and tire rotation. Adviser then asks me for the mileage and I turn on the key and tell him 30,059. He then goes into his pitch that in addition to the oil change and tire rotation that they recommend that I replace the brake fluid, differential fluids and a bunch of other stuff and hands me this dealership "Preferred Maintenance Guide" that has dealership recommended maintenance in 6,000 mile increments.

In addition to an oil change and tire rotation it recommends things like install premium engine protection, replace engine air filter, replace brake fluid, replace transmission fluid (non-CVT), install fuel system cleaner, add cooling system conditioner, replace differential fluids and replace PCV valve. So I retrieve the maintenance manual from the glovebox and the manufacturer's require maintenance is only an oil change, tire rotation and replace the air filter. I small a rat. For giggles, I ask him how much this 30,000 mile service package is and he says $499... I choked (actually I did... I started laughing and choked a bit).

I tell him that I'll just take the oil change and tire rotation and that I had previously done the engine air filter (which are the only require maintenance for 30,000 miles). And then I handed him a discount coupon that I printed off from their website which saved me $20 off their outrageous prices so my total was only about $80.

I also told him that I was put off by them pitching these additional services as "recommended" ... they are not recommended by the manufacturer but rather are recommended by the dealership.... and I wanted to talk with the service manager... he agreed but I never saw the guy... can you imagine that?

As I was checking out I told him that I just wanted to be clear that I only needed to do what the manufacturer's manual requires to keep in good standing for the bumper-to-bumper and powertrain warranties and he said yes, but that those other recommended services were "good for the car".... I said perhaps, but they are even better for the service department's bottom line.

Then today I got the customary email asking me how my service visit was and my response would not fit in the text box so I sent them an email.

You just have to love this stuff. Besides the outright lies from most dealership service departments, their service managers make a commission on screwing you. I am amazed that the manufacturers' let them get away with fraud.

And I agree about unsuspecting folks falling for this. A neighbor lady down the street was telling me recently how the local BMW dealer ended up coming up with $2000 worth of "things" here Z3 needed when she brought it in for routine service. I asked her what those services were and she could not tell me. :facepalm:

Hahahahah,:LOL:. I reported on a similar situation in a different thread, here it goes:
i have a 2004 Hyundai XG 350 L, my first new car. 38000 miles, i went in for recall work. they said i need 6000 in repairs,. they scared me so much i had the car towed to my mechanic for the non recall work. the price ? A big FAT ZERO. My mechanic said sure they need to be replaced , but not now. Imagine 6000 for unnecessary work. that was 4 years ago, just got the car inspected, still not ready to replace anything they said.

Sounds like my story, except I paid for an unnecessary tow.:mad:

Oh I forgot to add my dealership that wanted the 6 THOUSAND , lost their dealership. Hyundai took it back & they folded. The reason? Unsavory practices. Nice terms for "they were crooks."

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...-dealer-appeals-termination-for-finance-fraud

Last edited:
I've been through many similar dealership "recommended" service pitches and it always infuriated me too.

But my local Honda dealer has never even attempted such a pitch. I bring it in on the Honda schedule for the Honda required items and that's it. Plus they do the work well, quickly, and at a very reasonable price.

There's a good reason I've bought my last three cars from this dealer, and why I recommend them to everyone.

So take heart, there are some good ones out there!

Yes, actually I go to the local dealership when I'm in Florida in the winter and no such shenagians... ditto for my old Chevy truck and my new GMC truck. Both will flag things that need attention and perhaps even give me an estimate (which I am fine with) but no hard upselling.

I usually never respond to those manufacturer service surveys as I find it unbecoming that they view anything less than a 10 as unacceptable but in this case I will make an exception and tell them what I think of this dealership. I feel sorry for the service adviser as he is just doing his job and the dealership's bidding but may get caught in the crossfire.... so be it.

My dealer offered free so-so coffee and warm cookies while I wait for my car to be serviced. Somebody has to pay for them. [emoji57]

The worst one I ever had was when they told me my transmission fluid was dark and smelled burnt and needed changing. It was a long time ago so I forget the cost they quoted me for a transmission flush and filter replace. Anyway, I get home and think about it and realize that they (that exact dealership) changed the fluid some time not to long before. I think it was probably 6 months to a year and probably about 5K to 10K miles. Well, I had a not too friendly talk with the service manager. He wouldn't bring the associate in the room for me to confront and he wouldn't admit that I was lied to, but he was fully aware that I knew what was going on. They're easily able to take advantage of people and can even be crooks. What a crappy business model. The problem is that they are also the one who have mechanics that know what they're doing working on these newer cars. A bit of a dilemma.

The worst one I ever had was when they told me my transmission fluid was dark and smelled burnt and needed changing. It was a long time ago so I forget the cost they quoted me for a transmission flush and filter replace. Anyway, I get home and think about it and realize that they (that exact dealership) changed the fluid some time not to long before. I think it was probably 6 months to a year and probably about 5K to 10K miles. Well, I had a not too friendly talk with the service manager. He wouldn't bring the associate in the room for me to confront and he wouldn't admit that I was lied to, but he was fully aware that I knew what was going on. They're easily able to take advantage of people and can even be crooks. What a crappy business model. The problem is that they are also the one who have mechanics that know what they're doing working on these newer cars. A bit of a dilemma.
Had the exact same thing happen about 10 years ago. 2 recommended tranny services in 18 months. I cornered the mgr. and he plead ignorance.

Since then, I carry a tiny spiral notebook in my glovebox, and write down each service and the mileage, so I can scan it on the quick without looking for service receipts. Saved me $80 while on vacation last winter when the battery died. Quick look told me it was a 3 year total replacement type (3 months left!!) with Ford. I went to a local dealership, he called my home town dealership, they faxed the receipt to him and I got a free replacement battery. Much less hassle than waiting until I got home and rummaged through the filing cabinet for the original receipt.

Actually, that's the deal. I got a Honeywell from the same utility 2 years ago in return for agreeing that they could cycle my A/C on and off in 15-minute intervals during peak periods. They'd let me know in advance, it would be a few times per season and I could opt out from a particular session. They estimated the temperature might go up 2 degrees. We never noticed any difference through 2 A/C seasons. This deal is similar except that they give me $25/year- not bad, since they cut down on how much power they have to buy when it's in high demand.

Both the Honeywell and this one are controllable from cell phone apps. I love that- I can turn the heat or A/C way down when I travel and bring it back to normal when I'm a few hours away.

I bought an Emerson Sensi smart thermostat that can be controlled with my smart phone...the utility company has no control over it. I love being able to check or adjust the temperature when I'm out, but I don't want the anyone else to be able to do so.

..............the utility company has no control over it. ...........
Or so you think. Maybe they change it while you are away from home and you just don't know about it.

Or so you think. Maybe they change it while you are away from home and you just don't know about it.

Nope...the utility company in my province doesn't have the capability. I believe that using the hydro issued smart meters in Ontario gives them that capability, though.

It is also the sort of thing my husband routinely "fell for," before I got involved, or else he'd get so mad at the obvious scam that he would walk away. It's necessary to have information and be ready to negotiate in practically every venue nowadays - even the doctor's office. Maybe especially there!

visit was and my response would not fit in the text box so I sent them an email.

This thread is about financial advisors, right? ;)

Back
Top Bottom