Single length golf clubs

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Any golfers using single length? Please share your experience with them. I'm a relatively new golfer and am looking for information. thanks...

Bryson Dechambeau is a professional golfer who has gone that way. Wish he was not so analytical though !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very cool of you to be thinking of same length golf clubs. As a more traditional golfer, I'll tell you, you're thinking outside the box. And that's a good thing. If I was to start over again, I'd want all my clubs to be the same length.

BTW, the reason for the same length golf clubs is what's known as the single plane swing. Youtube "Moe Norman", prepare to wonder, smile and enjoy. Moe was truly a golf savant.

Bryson Dechambeau is a professional golfer who has gone that way. Wish he was not so analytical though !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Analytical=SLOW

Tried single length clubs on the range one day. Didn't care for them. When I had a 9 iron in my hand I instinctively layed off the swing because the club seemed so long. Maybe if I truly gave it a try it might work. But then I would have to go buy new clubs!

The Moe Norman videos on youtube are incredible. I've watched a bunch of them. Oddball guy but he could hit golf balls. Single plane swing and same length clubs both make sense to me, especially for a newer golfer who hasn't formed strong habits yet.

One forum member purchased a same length iron set not too long ago, he mentioned it in the 'Golf Talk Tuesdays' thread. It wasn't from one of the well known manufacturers, I hadn't heard of them before and don't recall the name. Not sure if Bryson is on to something or not, it certainly hasn't caught on with other pros. Agree with the above, he thinks way too much. Reminds me a little of Bobby Clampett, at one time a promising young golfer who over analyzed everything and eventually couldn't get out of his own way, probably ending his golf career.

Last edited:
One forum member purchased a same length iron set not too long ago, he mentioned it in the 'Golf Talk Tuesdays' thread. It wasn't from one of the well known manufacturers, I hadn't heard of them before and don't recall the name. Not sure if Bryson is on to something or not, it certainly hasn't caught on with other pros. Agree with the above, he thinks way too much. Reminds me a little of Bobby Clampett, at one time a promising young golfer who over analyzed everything and eventually couldn't get out of his own way, probably ending his golf career.

That might have been me. I bought a set of Tom Wishon single length clubs.
Here is my experience:

I'm a decent golfer, not great. Handicap index is 9. I found that I lost accuracy with the higher lofted clubs due to the extra length of the shafts (compared to a traditional variable length set) and lost clubhead speed needed to elevate the less lofted clubs due to the relatively shorter shaft.
Also, the clubs I bought had large game improvement heads compared to my cavity back variable length set (also Tom Wishon designed)...so I bagged the experiment and am back to my variable length Tom Wishon cavity backs.

Just my experience. It was fun to try, didn't work for me. That doesn't mean it won't work for you.

Why not just use a single club?
A 5 iron.
Do you really need more?
I mean, you are never going to shoot a 60, so why carry a whole bag of clubs?

A friend of mine uses the Cobra single length irons and loves them. It took him a while to get used to them but he is hitting them better than ever now. He shot a 76 yesterday.

Very cool of you to be thinking of same length golf clubs. As a more traditional golfer, I'll tell you, you're thinking outside the box. And that's a good thing. If I was to start over again, I'd want all my clubs to be the same length.

BTW, the reason for the same length golf clubs is what's known as the single plane swing. Youtube "Moe Norman", prepare to wonder, smile and enjoy. Moe was truly a golf savant.

Not really. There's no reason to use a one plane swing with SL clubs and Moe Norman did not use SL clubs,

Single Length Clubs / Irons – Moe Norman Golf

The whole idea behind SL is that it's easier to swing one club that is the same length and weight, thus giving you consistency. Many average golfers struggle with the 4-5 irons because they don't have the swing speed to get those irons airborne with the shorter shafts. They tend to hit them low and often hit the 4-5-6 the same distance or thereabouts.

Probably Pinhawks or Wishon Sterlings?

Here is my experience:

I'm a decent golfer, not great. Handicap index is 9. I found that I lost accuracy with the higher lofted clubs due to the extra length of the shafts (compared to a traditional variable length set) and lost clubhead speed needed to elevate the less lofted clubs due to the relatively shorter shaft.
Also, the clubs I bought had large game improvement heads compared to my cavity back variable length set (also Tom Wishon designed)...so I bagged the experiment and am back to my variable length Tom Wishon cavity backs.

Just my experience. It was fun to try, didn't work for me. That doesn't mean it won't work for you.
That's what I was guessing might happen. There is a reason that the clubs have different lengths. Are the swings with the different clubs really that different? All that I really see changing is that you can stand the same distance from the ball with any iron.

Less importantly, it's probably tougher to find the right club in the bag. If you're looking for the 5 iron, you're looking for a longer club. 9 iron, shorter.

Here is my experience:

That tends to be how it goes with SL.

Why not just use a single club?
A 5 iron.
Do you really need more?
I mean, you are never going to shoot a 60, so why carry a whole bag of clubs?

Lol! I gotta stop reading these while drinking something. Just about blew it through my nose...

Are the swings with the different clubs really that different? All that I really see changing is that you can stand the same distance from the ball with any iron.

In addition to standing closer or further from the ball, your swing plane also changes.

Just make all your swings like Happy Gilmore and you'll be fine:LOL:

We have guys on my softball team that swing like this:

Sterling single length clubs get here Monday. I’ll post some thoughts. I’ve been hitting the range with my 7 iron to prepare for the SL clubs.. hope it’s fun...

Haha, I just bought some Cobra 7 SL heads for $70. Throw in some Miyazaka shafts I got on clearance from Rock Bottom Golf for $1.20 each and it's a cheap experiment. The grips may be the most expensive part of the club.

OP here with an update.

Played 2 rounds and hit the range 4 times with the new clubs. Struggled to dial them in but when it 'clicked' it 'clicked'. I'm using the single plane swing along with the SLC so I'm multitasking on this project. Out of hundreds of golf gurus on YouTube that each have an exclusive on the magic system, I did find one that I am sticking with, Karl Junge, with 'Setup 4 Impact'. He's not very exciting to watch, but it's working for me.

On another note, I took my driver to the golf shop and the club fitter said it was entirely inappropriate type for a rookie. Stiff and Pro club head. He fitted me for a new Cobra F-Max Superlight offset with a draw bias. I gained about 40 yards.

Having fun now...

thought a couple of pics might be nice

Attachments

• 73144048_10218723748703635_9212781656820154368_o.jpg
    73144048_10218723748703635_9212781656820154368_o.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 71903424_10218723748263624_2944154275581788160_o.jpg
    71903424_10218723748263624_2944154275581788160_o.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 71577026_10218723747863614_8846424923611070464_o.jpg
    71577026_10218723747863614_8846424923611070464_o.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 72566206_10218723747503605_5478710280491892736_o.jpg
    72566206_10218723747503605_5478710280491892736_o.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 9
.... I gained about 40 yards.

Having fun now...

40 yds is huge!.... for me that would be 4 clubs less on the approach shot (I figure ~10 yds diffeence per club)... those shorter approaches should shave a lot of strokes off your game.

thought a couple of pics might be nice

They do look like nice clubs! I did notice the club length 36.5", that's close to a standard length 8-iron, as I recall Bryson's clubs are set to a standard 6-iron length. If I was to try that route I would probably go with the 8-iron length also, doubt I could get use to a wedge being 6-iron length. Did you get fitted for the irons?

Last edited:
40 yds is huge!.... for me that would be 4 clubs less on the approach shot (I figure ~10 yds diffeence per club)... those shorter approaches should shave a lot of strokes off your game.

I played this afternoon and I must have exaggerated on the yardage... more like 20, but that still great... had fun today...

Back
Top Bottom