Smoke, but thankfully, no fire.

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
DW messed up big time tonight. She microwaved a potato in some type of cloth bag. Normally this works very well but she forgot to wrap the potato in a wet paper towel. I’m in the living room and I hear her giving herself some crap and then she says the potato should be fine. Smell of “burnt” was in the house, but I didn’t give it anymore thought. I mean hey, I’m still eating my potato, right?

About a half hour later, I finish dinner and go to let the dog out and my attached garage is full of smoke. DW threw the cloth bag on the garbage can. Well apparently it commenced to smoldering on top of a plastic lid. Not sure how close we were to flames, but that was a close call.

I’m doing everything I can not to go off on her as I’m sure she understands how that could have turned out, but I can’t understand why she didn’t put it in water or ask me for help. I thought the potato was what was smoking. I had no idea the bag burnt. I use charcoal to grill and have a steel bucket for ashes, I could have put it in there. Now the garage smells of plastic smoke and I’m just feeling like I have to go out there every couple minutes in case an ember got lose and we haven’t seen it yet. I’m sure I’ll sleep good tonight.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very thankful it wasn’t worse.

Wow that was close, it could have been much worse. Can you put the plastic lid outside (less smell).

Just FYI, I microwave potatoes quite often, I stab them with a knife or fork first to let out the steam so they won't explode.
I just put them on top of a corel (microwave safe) plate.

Never heard of putting them in a bag.

People make mistakes. I’m sure this is a lesson learned. Time for a hug and then move on...

That reminded me of an incident years ago. Some idiot decided to make popcorn in our communal microwave. Unfortunately, they put the corn on a metal pie tin in a paper bag.
Well, the bag caught fire and melted the inside of the microwave.

No harm, no foul. Kiss your wife; she cooked you a potato.

If I were really concerned about stray embers, I might hose down the inside of the plastic trash-can. It might smell until next trash pickup, but at least you'll be able to sleep.

DW just pricks the cleaned tater with a fork, throws it in the microwave, hits the potato button while I fire up the grill. After our plate of veggies and glass of white wine or two, they go into the toaster oven to crisp up the skins, while I cook the steaks 6.5 minutes on each side. I holler when I come through the basement door, she takes them out of the TO, and I set the steaks on the table to rest a few. The sauteed mushrooms, onions and our peppers are plated while I pour some Cab or Petite Sirah, and we're off to the races.

DW just pricks the cleaned tater with a fork, throws it in the microwave, hits the potato button while I fire up the grill. After our plate of veggies and glass of white wine or two, they go into the toaster oven to crisp up the skins, while I cook the steaks 6.5 minutes on each side. I holler when I come through the basement door, she takes them out of the TO, and I set the steaks on the table to rest a few. The sauteed mushrooms, onions and our peppers are plated while I pour some Cab or Petite Sirah, and we're off to the races.

That sounds really good! What time is dinner? :greetings10:

I have never heard of this. I read the instruction on the bag. It says nothing about wrapping the potatoes in wet paper power.

I don’t know much about the bag, but it was hand made so it’s probably not exactly like the one I linked. The instructions were provided verbally with the bag when given to her.

Frankly, I’m more inclined to put them on the grill and if we need them quicker, I don’t mind the Insta Pot.

These things are easy accidents, so best to let it go.

Just a couple of weeks ago I put something in the microwave for 55 seconds, but glad I looked at the display as it started the count down from 55 minutes :facepalm:

When I was around 8, my cousin who was 13 took some paper out to the incinerator (45 gallon drum with holes in it) to burn the paper.
He brought the cardboard box back and threw it into the back enclosed porch.
A few minutes later we had a house on fire. .. called the volunteer dept, and we started pulling stuff out and throwing water on stuff.
Pretty exciting and we learned to burn the box with the paper. :LOL:

Never heard of a bag for this. Interesting. We have always just washed it down, poked it with a fork a few time and wrapped in a paper towel.

As to almost burning down the house, I would guess most of us have made similar errors. When I was a lazy teen, I came home from school and immediately ripped off my shirt and just tossed it...but it landed on top of a lamp. About 20 minutes later, it started smoking. Thankfully, I was in the room and was able to avert disaster!

whew, glad a fire was avoided.
I would imagine your DW feels horrible, give her a BIG hug today!

We keep our trash cans outside for many reasons, and this is one of them. You never know what might react in the trash and cause a fire.

Case in point - A woman I used to work with disposed of her scented kitty litter in the trash can in the attached garage and sometime later disposed of used cooking oil. The cooking oil leaked from the container into the scented disinfectant type kitty litter and this caused a fire. They lost their beautiful new home (and almost their lives) as fire erupted at 2:00 AM. Their cat wasn't as fortunate.

I wouldn't have thought this was possible until she told me what the fire marshal told her.

Last edited:
If it makes you feel any better, I almost set off the fire alarms in my building about a month ago.

I cooked a pork chop using a cast iron skillet. Anytime after using a cast iron when needs cleaning, I have this system where I use a metal cleaner, run the cast iron under hot water, dry off with a paper towel, then set on the stove (electric) for about 5 mins to heat off the excess water.

So, I did the routine, set my dinner and started eating. It was a delicious looking pork chop and I was hungry. Next thing, I notice there is a burning smell. Well, in my absent mindedness, I forgot to turn off the stove so my cast iron was on high for about 15 minutes and seasoning on the cast iron was smoking.

From now on, when I do this routine I make sure to set a timer so I don't forget again. Guess I could just stare at the pan for about 5 minutes as the water evaporates, but that's a long wait :popcorn:.

If it makes you feel any better, I almost set off the fire alarms in my building about a month ago.

I cooked a pork chop using a cast iron skillet. Anytime after using a cast iron when needs cleaning, I have this system where I use a metal cleaner, run the cast iron under hot water, dry off with a paper towel, then set on the stove (electric) for about 5 mins to heat off the excess water.

So, I did the routine, set my dinner and started eating. It was a delicious looking pork chop and I was hungry. Next thing, I notice there is a burning smell. Well, in my absent mindedness, I forgot to turn off the stove so my cast iron was on high for about 15 minutes and seasoning on the cast iron was smoking.

From now on, when I do this routine I make sure to set a timer so I don't forget again. Guess I could just stare at the pan for about 5 minutes as the water evaporates, but that's a long wait :popcorn:.

DW and I spent a couple of months in a high rise condo last year and the fire alarm went off 4 different times...all from cooking. There is nothing like going down 30 flights of stairs at 4 in the morning just to be told, "just a cooking mishap." Top 10 reasons I won't be living in a high rise.

Case in point - A woman I used to work with disposed of her scented kitty litter in the trash can in the attached garage and sometime later disposed of used cooking oil. The cooking oil leaked from the container into the scented disinfectant type kitty litter and this caused a fire.

What?? That can happen?

Back
Top Bottom