Sports Car - Audi or BMW

Gonna get shouted down by the old school petrol-heads, but with your requirements I would seriously consider a Tesla M3, MS, or MY long-range AWD, probably not the performance edition unless you are sure you're willing to trade a very firm ride for some trackability and somewhat better handling.

The electric drivetrain makes them extremely quick in normal driving (eg from a stop light) if you want, but they are smooth and quiet.

Ditto what others have said about tires.

I have a 2011 BMW Z4 with an M engine. I do love the car and the maintenance has been reasonable.
Then again, I am in sunny FLA, so minimal potholes and minimal cold weather.

Lexas make an AWD SUV? We have a 2019 Mustang convertible turbo, wife's bucket list ride - never thought I'd say it, but it's a blast! Sits all winter though

It may be extremely difficult to find winter tires in the exact same size as the low profile performance tires that come stock on an M series BMW. With different wheels, it opens up more possibilities of a wider selection of winter tires. As long as the total diameter, offset and bolt pattern are the same, there should be no issues.

Also, some dealers may refuse to install winter tires on the stock rims or on the vehicle at all, if the speed rating on the winter tires is less than what the vehicle came out of the factory with and what the top speed of the vehicle is restricted to due to liability issues.
+1. We had low profile performance tires in summer, but our winter snow tires were on smaller wheels, higher sidewalls on our Audi TT. Same total diameter just different wheel/tire sizes.

Gonna get shouted down by the old school petrol-heads, but with your requirements I would seriously consider a Tesla M3, MS, or MY long-range AWD, probably not the performance edition unless you are sure you're willing to trade a very firm ride for some trackability and somewhat better handling.

The electric drivetrain makes them extremely quick in normal driving (eg from a stop light) if you want, but they are smooth and quiet.
I drove a friend's M3 and while it was interesting, the center-mounted display is an instant disqualifier for me. No way to I want to move my eyes that far from the road just to check speed or some other simple thing. IMO it is not just annoying; it is dangerous.

Some of the Teslas have an airplane style yoke. Another dangerous thing IMO. Turning an airplane is fundamentally different from turning a car. A yoke is fine for an airplane and a wheel for a car. But not the other way around.

The low center of gravity and power of an electric do have some performance advantages but I would never compromise my safety or the safety of my passengers by accepting a centered display or a yoke for steering.

I have owned 3 BMWs including 2 E39 5 series, including my current 530.Best Car ever. I can't find a better car or I would buy it.

Not expensive to work on. Never take to dealer.

And I do not drive it in snow. That's a bad plan.

Both make good performance cars, BMW not so much in the awd variety. There's an old saying, "don't own a German car out of warranty". Any of the German cars have a lot of (IMHO) not needed complexity which makes service work cost more from extra labor req'd; and typically quite high shop labor rate cost. Plus add expensive parts cost, and you have the basis for the old saying. If you do your own work, then not as bad, especially if you can buy the parts from a cheaper source than the dealer.

In some defense, many new cars are very complex and it seems none are built for easy service.

I think your idea to BTD a bit on a nice fun car is a good thing since it seems you have the finances to cover without issue. But then I have many old vehicles, so not a good example of no fun cars.

I agree wholeheartedly about German automobiles. That's why I've had three Lexus' over the years. My IS250 is 15 years old and never seen the shop for any mechanical issue.

My family owns the Lexus dealership, and it's the quality (or lack of quality) at their local BMW & Mercedes dealerships that brings back customers to Lexus. The Audi's are beautiful, but they're still a VW and you cannot even find a mechanic outside of a dealership. They're strangely engineered where a regular car mechanic cannot work on them.

We've had over 100 new cars. In retirement, we still drive the wheels off our main car, but we're going contra to the retail market--down in price to the low $30's for cars. Presently in a Toyota Venza Hybrid AWD (42.5 mpg) and love it.

This is so true. I see the corvette stingray’s around town and just think how pathetic it must be to drive one. Can’t come close to legally experiencing the power they have and with the potholes here in Michigan, that ground clearance and low profile tires must be a joy to experience. At least with the great handling they must have you might be able to avoid some of the potholes. Can’t imagine what one would be like in the winter.

Fun on the track, not on the road.

I loved the Corvettes I have owned and I owned them when living in Connecticut. They are not winter cars, though, and weren't designed to be driven in snowy conditions, although they could be (delicately).

Down here in Texas I would own another, but the traffic is too bad around my parts. So I just stick with my Mustang convertible.

The Miata is a good recommendation for the OP as they are quick, nimble and very reliable.

I have owned 3 BMWs including 2 E39 5 series, including my current 530.Best Car ever. I can't find a better car or I would buy it.

Not expensive to work on. Never take to dealer.

And I do not drive it in snow. That's a bad plan.

Yup, I don't take my BMW to the dealer either. Found a shop which specializes in BMW's and Mercedes.

Having lived in Germany (Euro-spec BMW was my daily driver), the Autobahn spoiled me, and I couldn't imagine driving around here in the DC area with an expensive sports car....what a waste. Can't really open up the engine on the roads around here. Now I did buy a Fiat 124 Spider, which is like a Miata in many ways, except it is better! It's a blast out in the twisty roads out near the mountains.

Last edited:
I had a BMW: 1, 2, 3 and X3.
Best one was the 2., all the power and handling of the 3, but lighter. Would snap my head back in sport mode.

I've had several BMWs, including an M5, and also an Audi RS5. If you want all wheel drive it would be hard to find a better drive system than Audis. My Audi was a coupe, but they also made it in a sedan. I have not been in or seen their eTron GT up close.

Attachments

• 0DAB6DD5-1CBF-4D6A-BEB7-A695E6750E3A.jpeg
    0DAB6DD5-1CBF-4D6A-BEB7-A695E6750E3A.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 20
My experiences with VW and Audi (one of each) goes back a bit, but overall they were negative. I think of the company as the Chrysler of Europe. They have some excellent ideas, but when the time comes to pony up for quality components, they cheap out. So you get things like premature ignition coil failure, bad bushings, etc.

Also, I've noticed that repairs tend to be expensive because techs have to dismantle X and Y to get to Z. I knew a Honda tech who owned an '80s Turbo Quattro Coupe, the renowned rally machine. He said he took it to work once, and the tech crew was aghast at all the hoses and tubes running hither and yon. Today's GDI engines could probably rival the Audi of the '80s, but that was then and this is now.

Finally, I'm not impressed with the company's support for parts. When you get one of those early failures and you have to wait months for replacements, it's not good. My experience was when you finally got the parts you needed, they were priced regally. The exception was the old air-cooled Bugs, 411s and Karmann-Ghias, which had a robust aftermarket supply.

Again, my experience was from long ago, But I'm not going back.

I have both Audi and BMW. The Audi's all wheel drive is fine, but the BMW's rear wheel drive makes it more fun. I've had a V8 Audi S5 which was 4WD and the engine sound was fun, but it was front heavy and needed to be assisted by the rear sports differential to balance the rear traction. My BMW coupe 2 series is fun to drive due to the balanced center of gravity and I chipped it - it's really fast, and felt faster than the Audi from the starting line. However, the Audi also had a lot of power at higher speeds. I've seen many Youtube videos the the Audi electronic vehicles promise 250 mile range, but in the real world is only 165-170. The guy complained and he was told by Audi that he need to try to drive the vehicle correctly to get the max mileage. And he was still getting 165 miles only after he followed Audi's driving instructions.

I drove Audi quattros for 12 years each so I'm well aware of post warranty costs. Still, they were nice to drive and did well in the winter. However, they seemed a little anemic power-wise although I suspect that's changed. If I were getting one today, I'd probably opt for the S5 with the turbocharged V6 in the 2 door coupe version. If it's just for the two of you, I prefer a 2 door as they generally look better. My current car is a Genesis Coupe sports car but it's RWD and in any event not made any more. It's a blast to drive but has a pretty stiff ride. Not sure what I'll get next - maybe look at the new Nissan Z when it debuts this summer.That would probably be my last sports car.

One thing that might narrow your choice a lot is is if you want a manual transmission. Not many cars even of the sports variety can be had with a manual stick these days. I've heard that it's actually an effective theft deterrent since few know how to drive one LOL!

I had a BMW: 1, 2, 3 and X3.
Best one was the 2., all the power and handling of the 3, but lighter. Would snap my head back in sport mode.

I fully agree - 2 series is the best in handling - light and very balanced. I also chipped my 228 and boy, I can easily get to 110-115 MPH without any effort and not even in S mode, when I exit to the highway. And I get like almost 40 miles to the gallon on the highway.

Lexas make an AWD SUV? We have a 2019 Mustang convertible turbo, wife's bucket list ride - never thought I'd say it, but it's a blast! Sits all winter though

I don't remember. But if they don't, they will shortly. Their NX is being upgraded right now.

Our new Venza Hybrid AWD is closer in quality and styling to a Lexus than it is to Toyota. In the rain, we simply don't slip and slide in acceleration. My last Camry Hybrid FWD would just sit and spin in the rain.

I drove a friend's M3 and while it was interesting, the center-mounted display is an instant disqualifier for me. No way to I want to move my eyes that far from the road just to check speed or some other simple thing. IMO it is not just annoying; it is dangerous.

Some of the Teslas have an airplane style yoke. Another dangerous thing IMO. Turning an airplane is fundamentally different from turning a car. A yoke is fine for an airplane and a wheel for a car. But not the other way around.

The low center of gravity and power of an electric do have some performance advantages but I would never compromise my safety or the safety of my passengers by accepting a centered display or a yoke for steering.

Electrics are the new performance car for now. I'd also recommend the Model 3. I like the center display better than a through the steering wheel display. The speedometer reading couldn't be any closer to your centered vision unless it was a heads-up display. Super easy to get used to, and I have no problem switching between our Model 3 and our more conventional Model X. I prefer the Model 3 display.

There is no yoke steering wheel for the Model 3 or Y, so you're safe in that regard.

The Model 3 was very reminiscent of my Porsche 911 (Carrera 4 AWD). The steering is precise, the suspension is probably as firm as you would want, and you can get a version that will go as fast as you want. And that is very usable acceleration, no loud attention-grabbing (police attracting) noise, and great AWD traction. I find I floor it much more often than I used to in the Porsche. It's a lot of fun. If you charge it at home it would be nearly perfect.

I haven't driven a Miata, but from what I've read and heard that would be my second choice. More sport, less fancy features, good reliability. The classic retro experience.

+1. We had low profile performance tires in summer, but our winter snow tires were on smaller wheels, higher sidewalls on our Audi TT. Same total diameter just different wheel/tire sizes.

For my Acura I went with slightly smaller wheels with higher profile winter tires. Some people suggested just swapping tires but I'm not a fan of taking tires on and off the rims. My winter tires are on cheap steel rims, the summer (all season) tires are on the factory rims.

Winter rims were about $300, that's a negligible amount. I have an electric impact wrench and a floor jack and can swap all 4 wheels in 20 minutes or so. Far faster and cheaper than paying someone else to do it.

I drove a friend's M3 and while it was interesting, the center-mounted display is an instant disqualifier for me.

Back just post FIRE, I repositioned cars one summer. There was a Toyota (Yaris - I think) with that center-mounted display. It drove me absolutely batty and I only had a 60 mile trip. I hated every mile of it. I decided then I would NEVER have such a vehicle.

I think the big thing I disliked about my son's Mod. 3 is the huge computer screen mounted to the right of the steering wheel. I didn't have to deal with it so it wasn't so much distracting as it was entertaining since I was a passenger. BUT as a driver, I think I'd hate it. I forget if the car has a "simple" cluster in front of the driver. If so, I'd be okay using that with only occasionally needing to look at the "big screen" for, say navigation or miles remaining, etc. YMMV

I had a 2006 BMW 330xi (AWD) and a 2018 Audi TTS (AWD).

Both were great cars...but I was in love with the Audi TTS. It was after the big redesign and the car was just a ton of fun. Looked and handled great. The 330xi was actually a bit better through big bendy on-ramps onto freeways but the TTS was just beautiful inside and out. The cockpit on the TTS was fantastic.

The TTS just made me smile.

I sold the TTS when I moved to London. Getting ready to move back and I'm wishing I had kept it rather than having to go car shopping.

Disclaimer: The fanciest car I’ve ever driven in the past 3 decades was a top-of-the-line Honda Accord. I currently drive a Subaru.

My wife/kids think I need to take a small portion of our NW (~5 M) and purchase a fast and good looking sports car.

I live in a colder climate area so want all-wheel drive which throws out many rear wheel drive cars.

I really like the looks of the Audi e-tron GT but not sure I’m crazy about an all electric vehicle. I also like the BMW M series 5 or 8 competition cars. I do want a sedan or coupe as it’s just me and the spouse.

Open to recommendations
Good luck in finding the sportscar of your dreams, and keeping it well maintained.

Personally I wouldn't touch a sportscar with a 10-foot pole! But we're all different and that's just me, not you. When I was in my 20's, I wanted one and imagined myself turning heads (of cute guys, of course!) as I drove a sportscar with the top down, all tan with hair blowing in the wind. But now that I'm older I so much prefer my handsome 67-year-old boyfriend (Frank) to those too-young, too-cute guys and have different wants and needs in a car as well.

Anyway, good luck and be sure to get the car you want most! If you don't, you may end up wishing you had done so, later on. Life is short and if you can afford it, why not. :)

Just like ZZ Top, I've always got "a fine fox in front", so I don't need to turn heads when I drive the roadster.

I recall first putting the top down in my Vette ca 1970. It was early March and we had to run the heater full blast.

I would go for Audi RS7 or RS5. If driving in snow is your concern then look no further than Audis as their Quattro system is far superior than BMW's AWD.

Plus RS7's stock exhaust note is something you can listen to all day!

Back
Top Bottom