This weather is awful - 2024 to ?

Sunny and a cold 22 now, so no melting of any ice from yesterday. Expecting freezing rain on top of what we have tomorrow. Hopefully more trees will not come down.
Then we expect back to our normal on Wednesday.
DS finally got his electricity back after a very cold 24 hours, he is in an apt and has no wood stove or fireplace.

Not quite awful. Our first day with a high above freezing. We'll back back in the 20's tonight. Then on Tuesday we finally leave the freezing weather behind.

I know. I am a cold and snow wimp. That's why I don't live in places like Iowa.

We are getting our first appreciable snowfall in over two years here in the DMV area. Roads are still just wet, but our driveway has about a .25 inch covering so far. By the time it ends tomorrow morning the prediction is 2-4 inches.

Not awful at all, as long as our power stays on. With no need to go out, and 2 NFL playoff games coming up, the timing is right for me :). DW and I are going to go for a stroll in the light falling snow. With no wind and bundled up, it is rather pleasant.

Negative 12 last night and a repeat tonight in southern Wisconsin. Wind chills expected of -35 F. Our two snow events are over, and my rural roads are in good shape. City of Madison roads are glare ice on the main thoroughfares.

-12 each of the past 2 nights with a forecast of -10 tonight.
I'm starting to get used to it. Not too bad out when dressed for it. Jeep key fob died - probably due to leaving it in the garage. Heard that you're not supposed to leave key fobs in the cold.

cold front moving in tonight

Outside pipes and faucets wrapped, thin streams of water the diameter of a pencil lead running from each sink in the house, cabinets below sinks opened. Hopefully that will do it. Hard freeze tonight and tomorrow night. It's only 35F right now but supposed to get down to 27F tonight and 26F tomorrow night.

Yeah, I'm pretty naive about preparing for freezing weather, having lived in Hawaii, Louisiana, and other extremely hot, humid places most of my adult life. But local news media tell us what to do, and Frank (who has lived several years in the north on contract jobs) came by just now to check and make sure I hadn't forgotten anything.

I miss the heat of summer already. My (temporary) avatar photo was taken in 2008, which I think was the last time it snowed here.

We left N michigan about a week ago, just before this round of winter weather. Kids sent pictures of 18 inches of snow and with the winds, 2.5 foot drifts. Hanging out in Thailand for a month. 80's every day :) �� we return in February so we'll still get to experience plenty of winter.

-8 now. High today forecast at +4. Not much wind.

Yet local schools are canceled for today. Tomorrow high is forecast at 22. I wonder if they will be able to brave 22 degrees and have the schools open.

It's 26F here right now, and our low was 25F which was two degrees colder than predicted. I really do still live in New Orleans, I checked! :LOL: Agh. Got to go out for a dentist appointment but otherwise I plan to stay in and hibernate all day. Tonight is supposed to be even colder. :eek:

18 F when I walked my dog this morning at 6:00 AM. He didn't mind the cold. I am from CT so I didn't mind it either. Living in south Texas is great as this is about as bad as it gets, except for the "cold/snow" event that seems to happen once every decade.

It's going up to 68 F later this week. I'll get the golf clubs out!

It's 26F here right now, and our low was 25F which was two degrees colder than predicted. I really do still live in New Orleans, I checked! :LOL: Agh. Got to go out for a dentist appointment but otherwise I plan to stay in and hibernate all day. Tonight is supposed to be even colder. :eek:

Wow, colder than us! We got down to 29 with maybe a brief kiss of 28. Better than the forecast which was 26. But that north wind was blowing strong all night and still is.

I’m hoping my Thai lime tree makes it. It can handle some freezing temps but probably not below 26 for several hours. That’s the danger zone for all the citrus crops around here.

Northern Colorado, north of Denver: We had 4 days of sub-zero temps. Not 4 days where it got below zero at night -- 4 days where it never got ABOVE zero.

This morning it was -20F, but then it jumped 35° in 3 hours! It's in the mid-20's this afternoon, supposed to be in the 40's for the rest of the week.

Northern Colorado, north of Denver: We had 4 days of sub-zero temps. Not 4 days where it got below zero at night -- 4 days where it never got ABOVE zero.

This morning it was -20F, but then it jumped 35° in 3 hours! It's in the mid-20's this afternoon, supposed to be in the 40's for the rest of the week.

The first part does not even sound inhabitable. Kind of how I remember Chicago. It's up to 20 degrees? Take that shirt off! :LOL:

The first part does not even sound inhabitable. Kind of how I remember Chicago.
Kind of how I remember Iowa!! When I was attending Iowa State in the 70's, we had a stretch of 22? 23? days where it never got above zero. And I had to walk across campus for classes! Brrrr

(That's what I remember, anyway. It was a major topic of discussion at the time! But now the longest subzero stretch I can find was only 132 hours, in 1996.)

We are getting our first appreciable snowfall in over two years here in the DMV area. Roads are still just wet, but our driveway has about a .25 inch covering so far. By the time it ends tomorrow morning the prediction is 2-4 inches.

Not awful at all, as long as our power stays on. With no need to go out, and 2 NFL playoff games coming up, the timing is right for me :). DW and I are going to go for a stroll in the light falling snow. With no wind and bundled up, it is rather pleasant.

Final tally here by this morning was about 4 inches of snow. Very light and fluffy. I took my time clearing the driveway with the electric snowblower and a little "fitness" shoveling.

The temps will be in the teens and 20s the next few days, so the snow will stick around. Another 1-3 inches is predicted for Thursday Night/Friday Morning, we'll see.

A balmy 3F this morning at my house in SW PA. About an inch of snow. The wind finally settled down to 0 Mph. My snow blower is still in the shed. Heading to the Ice skating rink. Unlike Monday, should not have to play dodge kiddies on the ice, assuming schools are open, else rinse repeat.

Last edited:
Pretty nice here along the coast of CT , 18 degrees and sunny - had a nice walk in the park this morning while it's nice and crunchy still. I grew up near Rochester NY so this is balmy down here.

Pretty nice here along the coast of CT , 18 degrees and sunny - had a nice walk in the park this morning while it's nice and crunchy still. I grew up near Rochester NY so this is balmy down here.
18 F here in south Texas too!

I grew up in the Waterbury, CT area and lived in Southbury when i left for good.

10 deg this morning but beautiful sun in south west NH. Actually overdressed for the morning 2.2 mile dog walk. Cooling down now. :)

The ice/freezing rain is over, now waiting for the warmup, currently 30-34, depending on which weather app I look at!
There is a sheet of ice covering everything. Staying home and inside again today, or at least this morning. Supposed to be in the 40's this afternoon.

... plus the coffee machine.

That last one was the appliance that made buying a generator worthwhile to DW in 1999. We had a huge ice storm that cut off electricity to thousands of homes, ours for four days. That area was built up in the late '50's/early '60's and all the power lines are up in the tree branches. I think that to DW the worst part was not the lack of heat, but lack of coffee. We somehow survived without killing each other. But it was close at times....:angel:

A cheap self-contained butane heater would be sufficient for making coffee. Several thousand dollars less than a big generator. I even bought one for here in the Islands as our electricity is less and less stable as we go to more and more renewables. YMMV

Spoke too soon!
Another round of freezing rain last evening and during the night. Streets are a sheet of ice.
Schools have been closed all week, highly unusual around here. Several schools with tree and/or water damage.

Should warm up closer to noon, we feel blessed that we did not lose power this storm.

Back
Top Bottom