To Eat out or Not to Eat out, That is the question.

Eating out, do you do it frequently and enjoy doing so?

• Yes

Votes: 106 40.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • We mostly eat at home and prefer to do so

Votes: 36 13.9%
  • We enjoy an occasional meal out, but not regularly

Votes: 108 41.7%

• Total voters
I would enjoy eating out more if the food was healthy and made well. Since we began to cook more at home and being more careful about our food choices, I feel so much healthier.

+1, that is the issue for me with eating out also. One example is cooking with industrial seed oils (corn oil, veg. oil, canola oil, etc.). I never use that stuff at home, but virtually all restaurants use these oils (for lots of stuff, not just deep-fried foods). Hidden sugar in everything is another issue. So we don't eat out very often at all anymore, as we can control the ingredients at home, and in my opinion most of our home-cooked meals are tastier also.

Oh and a big one here: Sushi. I am so not comfortable sourcing raw fish that I would know is ok to make into my own rolls.
Neither does the sushi place know this. That is not possible. In a good US place the staff will at least wash their hands, wear gloves etc-but they cannot guarantee the microbiologic status of the fish they buy.

Ha

DF, did it ever occur to you that most people can’t afford those restaurants on a regular basis or maybe not at all?
Nowhere in the thread were peoples finances brought up, so no I wasn't really speaking to that, but I'll address it. You don't have to spend a bunch of money to eat well outside of the home. Some of my favorite meals have been served out of a cart on the side of a road and cost but a couple of bucks. I personally love Vietnamese food which is pretty universally known as being cheap, healthy, and fast.

I care not what others choose to do, but to label restaurants as mediocre, noisy, salty, unhealthy, slow etc....because one had a lackluster gastronomical experience at Applebees isn't fair.

For the record, Ritz Carlton in Dana Point CA, Ruth's Chris, Strip steak and Mario Vitales in Vegas all use WAY too much salt. On the other hand Bobby Flay's place in Vegas is quite OK.

So not all cheap places.

If one is used to salt overload, it is not noticed until it is too late. Salt is sometimes an excuse for poor cooking. If you are like me and do not add salt to anything, one will notice it instantly.

Last edited:
Neither does the sushi place know this. That is not possible. In a good US place the staff will at least wash their hands, wear gloves etc-but they cannot guarantee the microbiologic status of the fish they buy.

Ha
Actually they can and they do. They freeze it for extended periods of time (days) and at very cold (negative degrees) temperatures to kill anything that might be there. Which is why I always LOL when people tell others how "fresh" the fish is at their favorite sushi joint. I especially love it when people take it further and explain how it has definitely never been frozen.

Nowhere in the thread were peoples finances brought up, so no I wasn't really speaking to that, but I'll address it. You don't have to spend a bunch of money to eat well outside of the home. Some of my favorite meals have been served out of a cart on the side of a road and cost but a couple of bucks. I personally love Vietnamese food which is pretty universally known as being cheap, healthy, and fast.

I care not what others choose to do, but to label restaurants as mediocre, noisy, salty, unhealthy, slow etc....because one had a lackluster gastronomical experience at Applebees isn't fair.

Hold on, are you sure you aren't Tom Sietsema from the WP...:dance: you were fine until the last paragraph. but I'm going to definitely file away that lackluster gastronomical experience comment.

When i eat out, it is as much for the social interaction and people watching, as it is for the food. i do have to be careful regarding card content. I n fact a rather low end buffet place within walking distance of my home(although i usually drive so as to add errands to the the trip out), but with excellent fresh food, including good salads, is a weekly go to place for me. its not a chain, but a local well known establishment. Love the owners, workers, and of course the friends i meet for a meal, but am also perfectly happy to go alone.

I think it boils down to two types of those who like to go out to eat.
Those who want the food/dining experience of a high end place, if they can afford it. I can, but it does not interest me too much because i fall into the other category, which is those who enjoy the social interaction. With us, all the complaints about service or not liking being waited on, are either not a problem, or of little consequence when one has plenty of time in retirement, and a very flexible schedule, most of the time.

Actually they can and they do. They freeze it for extended periods of time (days) and at very cold (negative degrees) temperatures to kill anything that might be there. Which is why I always LOL when people tell others how "fresh" the fish is at their favorite sushi joint. I especially love it when people take it further and explain how it has definitely never been frozen.

You are definitely Tom Sietsema….:cool:

Some of you are not qualified to comment on restaurants if you consider going "out to eat" at an Applebee's, Red Lobster, Captain D's, Panera, etc....:facepalm: If that is considered going out to eat, well then I guess I don't do it either. We do spend considerable amounts of money each month dining out and trying new restaurants. We've also been known to get on a plane to try someplace specific and making a trip out of it. I do enjoy cooking at home, but we're at the busiest stages of our lives right now and both travel for work a lot so it doesn't happen too much.

Food and sex are two of the most pleasurable aspects of life. Some of the replies here make me sad. Food is also one of the best ways to connect with a culture when travelling.

DF, did it ever occur to you that most people can’t afford those restaurants on a regular basis or maybe not at all?

I’ve actually been most disappointed at the higher end restaurants. Spending a lot of money at a high end restaurant and getting something no better than I can make at home is disappointing. At least I know the riblets at Applebee’s with a beer is going to be satisfying and not too expensive and I don’t even know where on the pig a riblet comes from so making it at home isn’t an option.

The other issue is the food we eat. DW and I don’t like any seafood. That takes a lot off the menu at the high end establishments. Compounding things is that DW cannot eat dairy. Even Ruth’s Chris slathers butter on a steak so it’s just a pain for DW at most restaurants. Tell Panera you don’t want cheese on the salad and guess what, no cheese. We go to certain restaurants for certain dishes. Besides the two mentioned, we have a favorite burger joint, a couple of serious BBQ joints (not Famous Dave’s) and a favorite Mexican restaurant. High end to us is a great steak place. Usually the fact that the meat is aged is what sets it apart from something I could do at home.

I have become more mindful of the high salt content in foods when I eat out, after I had some health issues (including being diagnosed with diabetes) in 2015. I usually, but don't always remember to ask for "seasonings-free" French Fries, for example.

My ladyfriend cooks plenty for me, so I do like giving her a break from the kitchen when we go out to eat several times a year. Neither of us drink, and we opt for the lower-priced items on the menu so the total tab is under $35. We also dine out on less crowded (and less noisy) days and times such as the Sunday night (before 6:30 PM) of a 3-day Monday-holiday weekend. Or we go out for lunch.

The chain restaurants have nutrition info in their websites, so I often look them up at home before I go to the restaurant so I can avoid the really bad stuff (high-carb and/or high-sodium).

Similar idea when I go out to eat with my dad a few times a year. It's midweek and before 6:30 PM.

I eat lunch out every day and some suppers too. All in all that would be over half outside.

Love "going out to eat"

I’ve actually been most disappointed at the higher end restaurants. Spending a lot of money at a high end restaurant and getting something no better than I can make at home is disappointing. At least I know the riblets at Applebee’s with a beer is going to be satisfying and not too expensive and I don’t even know where on the pig a riblet comes from so making it at home isn’t an option.

The other issue is the food we eat. DW and I don’t like any seafood. That takes a lot off the menu at the high end establishments. Compounding things is that DW cannot eat dairy. Even Ruth’s Chris slathers butter on a steak so it’s just a pain for DW at most restaurants. Tell Panera you don’t want cheese on the salad and guess what, no cheese. We go to certain restaurants for certain dishes. Besides the two mentioned, we have a favorite burger joint, a couple of serious BBQ joints (not Famous Dave’s) and a favorite Mexican restaurant. High end to us is a great steak place. Usually the fact that the meat is aged is what sets it apart from something I could do at home.
I agree that some of my biggest dining disappointments have been on the more expensive side of the scale, but that is to be expected. You pretty much know what you're getting at an Olive Garden and if it just so happens to be bad or not to our liking that day, well that seems reasonable. Spending $50+ on a plate of food and leaving unsatisfied is definitely a big bummer.

We have a couple of high end restaurants we really enjoy and go for special occasions. I have eaten at a few dumpy looking places that were recommended and had great food.

Growing up, mom didn't cook. She just didn't (actually she wasn't very good at it)

Our family ate out most of the time, breakfast, lunch and dinner and 'eating in' usually meant take-out.

When I went to work, I traveled 200 days a year internationally for 30 years and the trend continued.

DW and I still go out 3-4 nights a week and enjoy it, despite the fact that I did not inherit mom's poor cooking gene...I'm pretty good at cooking and do like it; we host 20+ every weekend all summer long.

We avoid chains and tend toward local, higher-end establishments and are considered regulars. We view the entire dance of "drinks before opening the menu" (mom's #1 rule), discussing our day while waiting, enjoying a good meal and after dinner drinks as a form of entertainment.

Mom, age 90 still eats out 5 or 6 nights a week. I does drive me crazy when we go out with her as every third bite is interrupted by a waiter, bartender, owner, manager or fellow patron stopping by to say hello to her. But...she enjoys it, so...

Last edited:
You must be one hell of a chef, or you don't have any decent high end restaurants nearby. We're decent cooks - above average according to our friends, but we don't have the skills, ingredients and/or equipment to recreate what's served at the high end restaurants we like.

No right or wrong - some of us enjoy good restaurants, and others enjoy other ways of spending their time and money.

Last edited:
To me it really depends on how good the restaurants are and whether you cook well at home. When we lived in Austin there seemed to be an endless supply of great restaurants so we often ate out. Where we live now the options are more limited plus I had been on some restricted diets which necessitated food prep at home. Fortunately top quality ingredients are easy to come by here and meals at home have been so great that I am rarely motivated to eat out. It’s only for something special or ethnic food that I don’t prepare, rarely national chains, never fast food.

When we visit Europe, however, I very much enjoy eating out. We like sampling local specialties including wine and liqueurs, and have had terrific luck with the food. Southern France is terrific as is Spain. And even in Amsterdam (Dutch food not so famous) the seafood is so terrific we really enjoy it. DH and I are both very adventurous eaters and enjoy trying new things when traveling. I often find new dishes to learn at home.

I’ve been having a great time with my new smoker and we have been eating amazing stuff at home.

Jeez for years there was an Ethiopian restaurant in Austin and I still miss it! And I still miss Fonda San Miguel.

Last edited:
Honestly we live in a tourist town, most if not all the restaurants are average at best. There is a little Pilipino mom and pop place that is not bad, but certainly not so much as to write home about, but the company is good, we know the owners and they do cater to my salt requests. Having been spoilt while w*orking, I guess my standards are a little too high. Just because they are expensive does not necessarily mean great food. Like others here, if I am paying up market prices, I do expect a superior and memorable product, rarely does one get one.

I find that a lot of folk around here like the expensive restaurants because they like to tell people they eat there. If one of our friends raves about a place, we do go with them to try it, but have not really ever been super impressed. Saying that most places here are Beach Fair, so nothing special at the best of times.

Last edited:
I find I like eating at home, when the OTHER person cooks !!

The choice of who cooks seems to determine who enjoys going out to eat the most.

Since I cook nearly ALL meals, I like to skip cooking lunch as much as possible, so we eat simple at lunch (sandwich, tv dinner, leftovers) and go out for lunch up to twice a week.

Growing up, mom didn't cook. She just didn't (actually she wasn't very good at it)

Our family ate out most of the time, breakfast, lunch and dinner and 'eating in' usually meant take-out.
My Mom cooked when I was home. But when my younger brother and sister got to be school age, Mom went to work. My younger sibs then ate all weeknight dinners at Salamini's, an excellent Italian restaurant that was run by the extended family next door to us. The kids learned to safely cross the street on a light, and ever after they much preferred veal scallopini at Salamini's then whatever might be at home.

Ha

Last edited:
When we visit Europe, however, I very much enjoy eating out. We like sampling local specialties including wine and liqueurs, and have had terrific luck with the food. Southern France is terrific as is Spain. And even in Amsterdam (Dutch food not so famous) the seafood is so terrific we really enjoy it.

I've always enjoyed eating in Europe, more of a experience than a meal.

Try the Chinese food in Amsterdam, best crispy duck ever. I'm not sure the what they did to the sauce, perhaps it's not legal in the rest of the world.

I've always enjoyed eating in Europe, more of a experience than a meal.

Try the Chinese food in Amsterdam, best crispy duck ever. I'm not sure the what they did to the sauce, perhaps it's not legal in the rest of the world.

Totally - eating out is an experience in Europe, as is food market shopping.

Yes - I will look for crispy duck in Amsterdam, thanks! I’ve had some awesome sushi in Amsterdam.

We eat breakfast out once a week, and dinner 1-3 times a week. Usually only one of those is a "nice(r)" meal. I figure it's my reward for meal planning, shopping, cooking, and cleaning up the mess.

A lot of people know a lot of things that aren't true.

We eat at home most of the time, dining out just a couple times a month usually when it's a social occasion. As we're both decent cooks we find more enjoyment making our own meals. We recently spent a month in Florida and only ate out 4 or 5 times, although we did dine out on the travel days there and back.

We have most meals at home.

But at least a few times a week, we eat out - usually with friends.

At least where I live, it's not all that hard to find good places to eat at all price ranges.

Back
Top Bottom