Wedding Rings / Bands...Do you wear yours?

I haven't worn mine in over 30 years. Quit wearing it to work since I was frequently around Mercury and didn't want to ruin it. Got out of the habit and never put it back on. Now here's an interesting tidbit: My son is getting married in October and asked me if he could have my wedding band for his wedding. Surprised me but quickly realized that he respects our marriage greatly and wanted to honor me by wearing my ring. His wedding will be a bit more special when they exchange rings.

I wore mine 24/7 for the first 12 years of our marriage. But I had gained some weight (from underweight to normal weight) and the ring had become very constrictive around my finger so it came off until I had it resized. DW did not like me not wearing it but it stayed off for 5 years. I only recently got around to have to enlarged and it is back on. DW wears her set all the time.

Last edited:
Quit wearing it to work since I was frequently around Mercury and didn't want to ruin it.

I don't think I'd worry about that. The surface temperature of Mercury can reach 800°F but the melting point of gold is much higher.

I've worn mine (a simple gold band) continuously since our wedding, except for a couple of days when I had hand surgery. I'm rather proud of it, because it says I'm still acceptable in the eyes of the one I love.

My skin always had a negative reaction when wearing my band, so I do not. Also, my band no longer fits.

Wore mine 24/7 for the first 25 years then took it off as I had put on enough weight to cause it to pinch. Only weighed 150lbs at our wedding. Told DW I will go next 25 yrs. without it. Got 8 more years to go until then! Who knows what I will do then...

Currently I wear mine. I did not wear it for about 20 years. After our son was born I didn't lose my baby weight for many years and the ring was too tight. Even when I got down to the weight I was pre-pregnancy I couldn't wear the ring (maybe increased body fat even though weight was same -- not sure). But about 10 pounds later, I could wear it and I've worn it every since.

I do not routinely wear my engagement ring. It is very large (a large amethyst) and heavy so I tend not to wear it except on special occasions.

DH always wears his wedding ring.

I wear mine except when I'm making biscuits or meatloaf. I try to take it off when gardening, but I don't always remember. I wear my engagement ring (I have no idea how big it is or how much he paid for it) as well as my plain gold wedding band and my grandmothers wedding band which has a single tiny mine cut diamond in it. On my right hand I frequently wear my other grandmother's high school graduation ring, which is so worn the dates and words are gone. DH wears his band except when he is fishing, because it catches on the rod.

DW wears hers all the time. Me? Haven't worn the band in 20 years. I found out I was allergic to gold (blisters me).

I wear my engagement ring and wedding band unless engaged in an activity where I might lose them or they bother me. With all of the cycling (rings don’t fit in my gloves) and paddling (danger of losing the rings in the river) I’ve been doing lately, that meant I was rarely wearing my rings. I think it bothered DH a little that I was running around without my wedding band, so a few weeks ago I bought an Enso silicone ring. It’s safe to wear and comfortable. It only cost $20 so it won’t be a big deal if I lose it.

I’ll go back to my real rings once the weather turns cold and I stay indoors more.

DW wears hers all the time. Me? Haven't worn the band in 20 years. I found out I was allergic to gold (blisters me).

Just curious- white gold? I can't wear white gold pierced earrings because I get an inflammation. Might be an allergy to nickel.

Just curious- white gold? I can't wear white gold pierced earrings because I get an inflammation. Might be an allergy to nickel.

No, just normal gold. Maybe white gold too (?), but I have not tried it. DW is OK with me not wearing the band. I also don't wear any other jewelry.

I wear mine every day. I bought it at the Denver airport for $35 while engaged to DW. It’s Sterling.

DW started wearing her platinum band last year. She was miffed for years that I just bought her a plain band that didn’t have any rocks to rival her engagement ring. I refused to indulge her on this issue and she got over it.

Last edited:
I'm not married, we have promise rings we only where when around people we don' want asking questions.. you have a ring on, they assume your married, you can skip all the stupid discussion.

Now my parents were sweet. My mom would take hers off to go to the garden and a few other chores and my dad always placed it back on her finger.. they had some very sweet rituals which I think us kids treasured as much as them. My dad never took his off until it had to be cut off due to a hand injury and that finger never healed properly.

Yes. Gold comfort fit. Never been off except when used as a top.

I always wear mine when I leave the house. DH wears his all the time, unless his hands are swollen.

Both DH and I wear ours when leaving the house. This applies to all jewelry. Only wear our Apple watches at home except when gardening.

Absolutely-- wear it everyday and will never be without.

We waited 38 years for the ability to do so and have it convey the legal responsibilities and rights that come with it.

We always wore our rings. DH has been gone about 16 months now, but I still am wearing my wedding and engagement rings. And I now wear his wedding band on my right middle finger.

We got married pretty young (and broke), and engagement rings were never a priority. We bought inexpensive bands when we got married.

I've always hated wearing rings and watches, so stored mine away pretty quickly. My wife lost hers at some point in the first couple of years. We've never bothered to do anything to replace it.

But 40+ years later, guess it's not an issue.

Married 25 years and stopped wearing my ring 24.5 years ago. DW wears her all the time. I don’t wear any jewelry. DW also wears my band on her right hand most of the time.

We're a ring couple.

Being frugal, he gave me a simple (but excellent quality) diamond solitaire for my engagement ring, and we had plain gold bands for our wedding.

We decided to upgrade our rings for our 15th anniversary. His is now an artisan multi-colored gold band, and mine incorporates the original diamond with smaller stones in a nice setting. I'll never forget that I got the new ring on 9/10/01 - I expected to be showing it off to my coworkers but on 9/11 that just didn't happen. Puts things in perspective.

I wear the small plain gold wedding band all the time, replacing the diamond with a simpler ring when traveling overseas.

I wear a 3/8” palladium band all the time except when I’m swimming laps. Wife wears a custom designed solitaire engagement ring and 5 small diamond band. Always the band, she wears the engagement ring probably 50% of the time.

I always wear mine except when doing physical work involving my hands (e.g. yard work, exercise, sports, electronic work). Based on my activity schedule I may no have it one for a couple of days, but never longer than that. DW is about the same.

DW normally will not wear her engagement ring, nor a fancier ring I bought her for our 25th anniversary, unless we are going to a "dress up" social function or date.

Back
Top Bottom