What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't really a stopper. I could have gotten in via the keypad on the outside of the garage door. Just a nice wakeup call for me to pay attention to battery life.

Today I walked the dog on the beach - got there early since it's always crowded on Memorial day. When we got there at 6:30am the parking lot was about 1/3 full (typical - surfers get there early). I left at 7:30 and the parking lot was about 80% full ... I'm sure it was full by 8:30am.

Since then I've .... done nothing. And it's felt great. The last few days we've had dinner guests every night... so lots of cooking/cleaning/recleaning... It has been nice to spend the day watching tv and reading a book.

Hey another "O" cooker!! And you're the guy who made...All...those modifications.
I've had mine for about 8 years, love it. Best ribs ever!
I'm a relative newcomer to the scene, but I like the flexibility to cook longer. So I geek out with it, doing the videos, but really, it can be a "set and forget" cooking method that results in some incredibly yummy ribs.

Yummy ribs are on my list forever;

34826982211_2892278505_z.jpg

Last night's slab of St. Louis style off the big green egg.

I went for my morning swim. The place is empty. It's lovely. It's like having my own swimming pool. Got into the Jacuzzi for a while.
After lunch I called and made an appointment for my husband to see a urologist. We see him in about two weeks.

A couple weeks ago I photographed a field right after it had been seeded. Here is that same field today about 16 days later. The plants are about 4 inches tall.

Attachments

• 20170530_145903.jpg
    20170530_145903.jpg
    917.7 KB · Views: 28
Spent the day cleaning DD bedroom and making a guest room out of it. Next will be re- arranging DS room and making a play room for Grandkids. Both kids have been out of the house for a while, just took me a bit to clean their stuff out! lol

This morning I called COX to reduce the monthly cable price. I think I get this price for a year. It's just awful that they raise rates on us every year unless I call in.
I also made an appointment with my new acupuncture doctor, hopefully, my knee will be better after a few treatments.

Had an MRI on my damaged right knee. Now meet with the surgeon next week as he is pretty busy. Just what I need to start the summer season, a stitched up Meniscus. :blush:

Being down and grouchy will give me time to call Comcast and start the process of either "de-cabling" or a new year of much lower rates.

Last edited:
Met a group of mostly retirees (a few are still w*rking) at an afternoon local minor league ball game...25 - 30 in attendance. It's really just an excuse to get out and socialize. Some of us went to a local watering hole after the game, and I stayed just long enough to ensure that I ended up stuck in rush hour traffic on the drive home. :facepalm:

.....When we moved in here almost two years ago, I installed pushbutton locks on the front door and never gave another thought to their battery life. Stone cold dead.

I now have a calendar reminder to change the batteries every Spring at DST changeover, so it was a good wakeup call.

Good idea... we installed a keypad deadbolt at out winter condo... it is so convenient to just walk out the door and push a button and not having to take a key... especially if going to the pool.

I'll have to add a reminder for me too.

When we moved in here almost two years ago, I installed pushbutton locks on the front door and never gave another thought to their battery life. Stone cold dead.

I now have a calendar reminder to change the batteries every Spring at DST changeover, so it was a good wakeup call.

I just assumed that the push button/keypad entry locks also could also be used "normally" with a key... :confused: I guess that's not the case with all models?

The sun came out today...it startled me at first! I spent a wonderful day on the river. No paid trip today, but a wonderful opportunity to improve my skills. There were only three of us: one very good boater who was teaching paddling techniques and helping us stretch our comfort level, myself, and another guide who hasn't worked this particular stretch of the river.

I was able to help the newer guide learn the lines through the rapids and offer tips for cat herding. With no rafts following me, I was free to practice getting in/out of eddies and surfing. I know I worked/ paddle harder than I do on a typical trip-- I'm a little sore for the first time since mid April.

Good idea... we installed a keypad deadbolt at out winter condo... it is so convenient to just walk out the door and push a button and not having to take a key... especially if going to the pool.

I'll have to add a reminder for me too.

I change the batteries when I rebalance, the first week in January. That way I know I will never forget. Who would forget to rebalance and withdraw the year's spending money? :D

Also, I have keypad deadbolts on all of my exterior doors. It's unlikely that all four would need new batteries at once. So, there's belt and suspenders.

Of course, since it's me, I have to be more careful than that (worry-wart here). So, when I have my purse with me I have one small key that works for all deadbolts and locks.

And then, for good measure, my dear companion F has a copy of that key too.

I think keypad deadbolts are wonderful and I plan to always have them. Today, I had one of those "I've fallen and I can't get up" situations that you see on TV. I called F on my cell phone and he came right over and of course (since he knows my lock code) he could let himself in with no delay and come to my aid. By the time he got here I had recovered enough that I had been able to get up and get to my easy chair, so I would have been OK. I appear to have only suffered some unusually painful bruises and lacerations, which I am icing right now. But anyway the point is that it's nice to know he can get in so easily.

I change the batteries when I rebalance, the first week in January. That way I know I will never forget. Who would forget to rebalance and withdraw the year's spending money? :D

Also, I have keypad deadbolts on all of my exterior doors. It's unlikely that all four would need new batteries at once. So, there's belt and suspenders.

I just had one installed on my front door yesterday. The rest of the doors still have normal locks. I figure that the chance is pretty small that I will lose my keys AND the keypad battery will be dead. But it never will be, b/c I have added checking the battery to my monthly financial ToDo list. According to the locksmith there are about 100 lock/unlocks left after the first low battery warning, but my warning is on the outside of a door I don't use very much.

I wanted to insure never being locked out, but also wanted a way for a cat sitter to go in and feed the cat without a key. The cat has a 5-day auto feeder and waterer so I think my plan will work, assuming I come to within the 5 days.

Geocaching with grandkids

Wife and I spent the day in the beautiful countryside enjoying the weather and geocaching with grandkids. Sort of a "hide and seek" game using GPS. Hours of fun for all!

Met a cousin of mine for lunch, followed up by a visit here until his granddaughter's ball game nearby. He took custody of four boxes of 8mm home movies my father shot in the 1940's, '50's, and '60's to have them copied to DVD and then distribute them to family. He's doing it because he has a strong interest in family history and genealogy.

While at the restaurant we got around to talking about decluttering and I mentioned I had a drill press that I hadn't used for a decade. He's getting back into woodworking and I offered to give it to him so he came by to look at it. He said he'd love to have it, but didn't dare leave it in the back of his pickup during the ball game for fear it wouldn't be there when he got back. So he'll either come by after the game or we'll set up a day later on. Good to know it'll end up in the hands of someone who has a use for it.

Had the termite guy in yesterday for annual spray and inspection. While he was spraying in the patio area he started yelling, I immediately went out and saw him pointing at the gutter. He told me he had just seen a rat (he said "giant") , and he then gave a major squirt of termite poison into the gutter spout.

This morning I went outside early, and sure enough, there it was, dead as could be. A brown rat about 12 1/2 inches long from head to tail.

So termite poison works on rats. Who knew.

Today I found the stupidest person who's currently alive and still rides a motorcycle. He was tailgating me, in traffic at 40 MPH. Nowhere to go, 15 vehicles ahead of me. Just down a big four mile hill into town, he felt comfortable riding 4' off my bumper. I didn't!

Later drove DW to a DR appointment, 120 miles round trip. No problem, well funny how that works. Docs office didn't do their normal pre-call, DW called but didn't get through, we got there it's the Docs day off! Her appointment is next week.?

I went to whole sale supply for cabinets. After getting an idea of how much doing the top garage is going to cost. I've been spending the whole day watching YouTube on how to put these cabinets with molding up to the wall. It will be nice if we can get them done. I like DYI but we need to get or rent more stuff from Home Depot. It will be a nice project to tackle in retirement.

Today I found the stupidest person who's currently alive and still rides a motorcycle. He was tailgating me, in traffic at 40 MPH. Nowhere to go, 15 vehicles ahead of me. Just down a big four mile hill into town, he felt comfortable riding 4' off my bumper. I didn't!

Later drove DW to a DR appointment, 120 miles round trip. No problem, well funny how that works. Docs office didn't do their normal pre-call, DW called but didn't get through, we got there it's the Docs day off! Her appointment is next week.?

If I have to drive for an idiot like that, I will rather than have to worry about him getting hurt because I slammed on my brakes. If you go slow enough they will find someone else to tailgate.

Had blood drawn for lipids/cholesterol, etc, got home in time for trucking company to deliver the tonneau cover for my new truck. Installed it. Then UPS delivered my new macro camera lens. Took a few photos. Got 2 bins for the back of the truck - one for work clothes (in case I get a flat) and one for misc tools. Organized my scrap wood bin. Grilled a steak, and now getting to take some indoor macro photos.

Last edited:
Ordered four pieces of stainless flatware (three forks and a steak knife) from a replacement silver/china/crystal place in North Carolina; picnic with paper plates but real forks etc. on Monday, lots of unwanted "help" cleaning up, dishwasher ran on Monday night, garbage truck took trash Tuesday morning, realized we were short these 45-year-old pieces when unloading the dishwasher Tuesday afternoon. Lots of sentimental value in the lost pieces, so glad this outfit can replace them. We don't have a lot of stuff but I love the stuff we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom