What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

Just started Wheel of Time on Amazon.
Finished Season 1 of The Witcher (Netflix).

Watched Episode 1 of Cowboy Bebop, (Netflix - Live Action). This wasn't my wife's cup of tea.

I couldn't find any recent mentions of it, so I wanted to say that Succession (currently in Season 3) is, IMHO, working its way onto the list of all-time greatest TV dramas. It has gone from "really good" in Season 1 to "great" in Season 2 to "one of the best ever, possibly" in Season 3. Highly recommended.

Yeah I think there was a mention right before it came back, and several posts last time around season 2.

Season 3 continues to be excellent. And this is as good a time as any to remind y'all that not everyone watches everything right away, and if anyone spoilers anything about Succession I will do horrible things.

Watched Episode 1 of Cowboy Bebop, (Netflix - Live Action). This wasn't my wife's cup of tea.

It's pretty damn good though, if you are a fan of the original. As you probably know, having watched it, there's been a huge build up and skepticism about making the live action series...especially after what Netflix did to Death Note...

I like plenty of anime, but the original wasn't my favorite. DH loved it.

I’ve watched the first three episodes of Wheel of Time also. If you like Lord of the Rings type of movies you will like it. I am enjoying it so far.

I’ve watched the first three episodes of Wheel of Time also. If you like Lord of the Rings type of movies you will like it. I am enjoying it so far.

We always wait till the series' we want to watch are complete, then binge watch them. We are not keen on waiting a week for the next episode.

It's a well told story, that the current movie works as is. Part 2 is not even confirmed (or it wasn't yesterday). To completely do the original work justice, this could well have been a 8 episode miniseries. It is a very good film.

I mean I enjoyed the original Star Wars even though it was episode 4 of who knew what at the time.

we're glad we took a chance and watched Dune the other night. it started slow but picked up. looking forward to the next installment. thanks!

Last edited:
The show is a bunch HS talent contest winners going to be judged on Broadway.
It is a 3 episode series.
https://www.pbs.org/video/broadway-or-bust-episode-1-casting-call/

I sent an email to my daughter about this back in 2012. I just saw it, I tear up at a certain point while watching, every time!
If you want to see where I cry go to 44:15, otherwise watch three young ladies that shine, start at 39:30.

The Cleaner on BritBox is worth watching. It is quirky and funny but also insightful. Written and performed by comedian Greg Davies, the stories involve the people he meets in his work as a Crime Scene Cleaner, basically one eccentric person per episode. The first episode co-stars Helena Bonham Carter, which is sort of an endorsement of the quality of the show.

I don't have a subscription to BritBox, but it might well be worth it for this series alone. I hadn't heard of it, but your description of the premise, along with the fact that it's Greg Davies, makes it sound like a surefire winner. Thanks for the heads-up!

The show is a bunch HS talent contest winners going to be judged on Broadway.
It is a 3 episode series.
https://www.pbs.org/video/broadway-or-bust-episode-1-casting-call/

I sent an email to my daughter about this back in 2012. I just saw it, I tear up at a certain point while watching, every time!
If you want to see where I cry go to 44:15, otherwise watch three young ladies that shine, start at 39:30.

scripted show or a documentary about real people?

I just signed up for the hulu $1/month deal for a year. A black friday special.
It is the ad supported one, but for $1 there are some shows I want to see.

I found out about the signup link from slickdeals.net

Last night, having finished “Baptiste”, we started watching Season 1 of “The Gulf”, a Kiwi police show on Acorn. The lead detective is a hard-edged woman who has recently suffered a serious personal trauma. The plot revolves around a young boy who resurfaces after having been missing for 5 years and given up for dead/drowned by the police. The police begin attempting to get to the bottom of it w/o informing the public that the boy has been found. The series shows promise, will undoubtedly have a lot of twists and turns and features absolutely beautiful NZ scenery in and around Auckland.

I just signed up for the hulu $1/month deal for a year. A black friday special.
It is the ad supported one, but for $1 there are some shows I want to see.

I found out about the signup link from slickdeals.net

Wow, that's a crazy good deal. I've signed up for Sundance (promo code FRIDAY50), but it was only 50% off (around $20/year).

Picked up from the library on DVD: “Traces” from BBC (may also be on BritBox as there was an ad for it preceding the show). Set in Scotland. A young woman just graduated from university takes a job as an assistant in a forensic lab at a university in Dundee. Her personal story (death/murder of her mother) some 18 years earlier becomes intertwined with her job and a recent fatal night club fire. Have only watched 2 episodes (that I’ll now have to alternate with “The Gulf” mentioned upthread) but so far looks excellent. Surprisingly easy to understand the Scottish accents, unlike some other Scotland-set shows.

"Cowboy Bebop" on Netflix.

From the title, and the image that Netflix showed, I was completely ignoring this one - it looked like something I would not like at all. But then I looked at one of the trailers and I was hooked. It's a light-hearted, campy sci-fi action series about a couple of bounty hunters tracking down criminals across the universe. It's very stylish, and some segments remind of TV shows from the 60's. Apparently it's based on a Japanese anime series which I'm not familiar with. I'm 3 episodes in and it's some good, mindless fun.

"Cowboy Bebop" on Netflix.

From the title, and the image that Netflix showed, I was completely ignoring this one - it looked like something I would not like at all. But then I looked at one of the trailers and I was hooked. It's a light-hearted, campy sci-fi action series about a couple of bounty hunters tracking down criminals across the universe. It's very stylish, and some segments remind of TV shows from the 60's. Apparently it's based on a Japanese anime series which I'm not familiar with. I'm 3 episodes in and it's some good, mindless fun.

It's a bit over the top, and DH said it wasn't his cup of tea, but I could tell that the show was very well made. Evidently, the same person who did the music for the anime is doing the music for this as well, and that also helped in keeping the similar vibe.

Wheel of Time series. Big fan of the books and so far the series has been good adaption.

Currently on the second season of The Morning Show. Finished Foundations last week and watched Tehran, The Mosquito Coast before that. The Apple TV+ series are all well produced, but I haven’t connected with any of the series in a memorable way. I’ll try Ted Lasso next.

We signed up for the Hulu deal like many others. The first thing we watched was “Only Murders in the Building,” a Hulu original starring Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez. Very funny show, at least the first episode. I usually don’t go for ad-supported streaming but there were only two or three commercial breaks and each was fairly short, at least as compared to network TV.

We signed up for the Hulu deal like many others. The first thing we watched was “Only Murders in the Building,” a Hulu original starring Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez. Very funny show, at least the first episode. I usually don’t go for ad-supported streaming but there were only two or three commercial breaks and each was fairly short, at least as compared to network TV.
The ads on hulu do not bother me either. I hate places that raise the volume when they air ads, but hulu doesn't do that and the duration of the commercial breaks are fairly short.

I'm also enjoying the show. Have just finished EP2. (The plot starts to thicken after EP1.)

The ads on hulu do not bother me either. I hate places that raise the volume when they air ads, but hulu doesn't do that and the duration of the commercial breaks are fairly short.

+1. Hulu used to have fewer advertisers. They would run longer ads, and repeat them ad nauseum. It was tedious, to say the least. They have improved greatly in this regard.

I saw mention of Condor earlier, season 1 not being available in the US. It looks like it just became available on EPIX, which was one of the cheap black Friday deals. I've watched a few episodes and it looks like I'm hooked.

Back
Top Bottom