What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

Just finished "The Queen's Gambit" on Netflix and really enjoyed it. The main actress was really good.

Wrapping up "The Last Dance" on Netflix...on Episode IV. If you are a basketball fan, or really a sports fan in general it's a GREAT show. One spoiler, look at the plate's Jordan registers for his Range Rover the year before he is going for his first 3-peat.

Some of the greats are interviewed...they even had Kobe Bryant make an appearance. I still sort of wonder what really happened to Jordan's father when he was gunned down and thrown in the river... was it a gambling debt, wrong place at the wrong time. Lots of unanswered questions.

Just finished "The Queen's Gambit" on Netflix and really enjoyed it. The main actress was really good.

Great movie on Netflix with great acting that will not disappoint.
Anya Taylor-Joy played a female chess prodigy who won the Golden Globe Award for best actress in a mini-series.

"many of the show's narrative beats were inspired by real-life events in the Chess world".

Just finished Vigil (6-epi on Peacock). excellent British police/military submarine thriller. 5 *****

We discovered Britannia, set in 43 AD. DH studied this period in college. He said historically, it's accurate but obviously, the drama and subplots are made up. The whole thing with Druids and fractured tribes is interesting. DH said it was a weird time. Julius Caesar backed out 90 years earlier.

I was quite surprised how much of Black Sails has roots in actual history. An amazingly large part of that series actually happened (a lot of dramatic license of course).

I watched the first two episodes of "Poker Face" on Peacock. Interesting concept, don't want to spoil it so I'll leave it at this-- A woman has an unusual gift. This gift can be used for good or for evil. Judging by the second episode it looks like she's going to use it to investigate crimes.

First episode was very good; second episode held my interest but wasn't as compelling as the first ep. I will try a couple more, when I get around to it.

I just finished the first 2 episodes too and thought it was very good. I like the reference in the first episode to “Encyclopedia Brown” as that is what the cases and clues remind me of a bit.

I just finished the first 2 episodes too and thought it was very good. I like the reference in the first episode to “Encyclopedia Brown” as that is what the cases and clues remind me of a bit.

I too, liked the Encyclopedia Brown reference. I read those books when I was in grade school.

I also liked Cliff's reference to Michael Westen. I love "Burn Notice."

We just watched a 6 part series on Netflix, The Snow Girl. Its a Spanish series, dubbed in English (very well, not distracting) about the disappearance of a 6 year old girl from a Christmas festival. The story follows the relentless pursuit of a newspaper reporter that will not give up on the case of the missing girl. The series takes place over nine years and the skipping between years does get a bit confusing at times. It is an interesting story and the reason for the disappearance is not what you would think.

I saw the trailer. Looked interesting. I’ll watch it in Spanish. I have enjoyed the Spanish Netflix offerings.

Really enjoying Hotel Portofino from PBS. Drama series - English family running a hotel in early Mussolini Italy as the fascists are gaining power. Beautiful setting and great acting. We are really enjoying the incredible scenery on our new 77 inch OLED TV.

I mildly enjoyed Gunther's Millions on Netflix. I would have liked more focus on the financial and legal aspects of the case. Wealthy people (and wealthy dogs) do tend to attract conniving parasites. :D

First episode of Magpie Murders (PBS) was great. Multiple levels plots running simultaneously - very clever!

We recently enjoyed the movie Jerry & Marge on Paramount+. About a retired guy who is mathematically astute and finds a flaw in the state lottery. Based on a true story.

Did anyone try watching The Ark?

I got through 10 min, then had to go read reviews to see if others had the same opinion.

First episode of Magpie Murders (PBS) was great. Multiple levels plots running simultaneously - very clever!

I agree about the multiple-level plots! Very clever, indeed! I really enjoyed the show.

I’m three episodes into Cunk on Earth (Netflix). Actress Dianne Morgan plays Philomena Cunk, presenting a history-of-civilization mockumentary, except she’s kind of dense and shallow. It’s pretty hilarious.
The description is vague as to whether this is a limited series or the first season of something ongoing. It’s funny, but really a one-joke premise so I don’t see it going past this five-episode run. Good though.

Really enjoying Hotel Portofino from PBS. Drama series - English family running a hotel in early Mussolini Italy as the fascists are gaining power. Beautiful setting and great acting. We are really enjoying the incredible scenery on our new 77 inch OLED TV.

The Durrells is suppose to be good as well. It's set on the island of Corfu around WWII.

I’m three episodes into Cunk on Earth (Netflix). Actress Dianne Morgan plays Philomena Cunk, presenting a history-of-civilization mockumentary, except she’s kind of dense and shallow. It’s pretty hilarious.
The description is vague as to whether this is a limited series or the first season of something ongoing. It’s funny, but really a one-joke premise so I don’t see it going past this five-episode run. Good though.

It is a 5-episode series, so limited by the length of human civilization.

Will Trent, a current series on ABC TV. I watch the next day on Hulu. It's a police procedural with quirky characters and some outstanding acting.

Am very hooked on Cable Girls on Netflix. Spanish show, dubbed about the early days of phone service in Spain. Lots of sub-plots and drama and makes me very appreciative of how difficult life was for women in a country, culture and era of legal honor killings, kids, wives and property that were solely possessions of men. With women’s employment came a small measure of independence; and hopes and dreams for more autonomy. Everyone suffers for the repressive monarchy and inequality that was 1930’s Spain. Six seasons, lots of episodes. Am half way through and totally hooked.

Started "Accused". Like the first two.
Started the new "Night Court". The jury is still out.

Started the new "Night Court". The jury is still out.

Once they get past all the nostalgic love paid to the old show, i.e. first two episodes, it gets better. John Larroquette is very good; the rest of the cast, not so much.

Night Court is at its best when they focus on the weirdoes that get charged with oddball crimes. Once the writers figure this out and quit focusing on problems the main characters are going through it would be greatly improved.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom