what would you do? Fly vs Drive

You’ll never know which one was “right” so pick the one that appeals to you most or at least fear the least.

I do not know what you should do, but here is our situation:

DD is working in DC and will take a two weeks vacation in October. She flies home to Houston, then travels with us to California, with multiple stops at NPs along the way, 4000+ miles round trip. We will be driving in a new 2020 SUV. We choose driving, takeout foods, and hotel beds, but it will be a good family bonding experience.

Ultimately, it's the hubster's decision. He's asked my advice... (And I in turn asked here. LOL). In an ideal world, this would not be happening during a pandemic. I would like to see MIL and BIL also... but it gets more complicated with covid etc.

An airliner is one of the safest places to be. I have lots of friends and former colleagues that fly for a living and none of them have gotten COVID. *IF* there was a breakout because of an airplane (or a large theme park) then we would hear about it. In the world of airline employees, the only breakouts have been related to ground crews who may be lackadaisical about masks and such.

Honestly if you asked 100 people what year was last year, 1999 would be the answer more than 5% of the time!

Wishing to leave 2020 behind myself. Maybe we want to party like it's 1999!

An airliner is one of the safest places to be. I have lots of friends and former colleagues that fly for a living and none of them have gotten COVID. *IF* there was a breakout because of an airplane (or a large theme park) then we would hear about it.

That last sentence is what I find reassuring. If it happened you know the media would be all over it.

If you decide to fly, I'd recommend getting some N95 masks. There is almost certainly a reduction in exposure to the virus laden droplets that you might conceivably come in contact with in the close quarters on an airplane if you wear an N95 mask. Long drive from Detroit to Philly though: ~9 hr.

Regarding Covid I think neither fly or drive is high risk. From a safety aspect driving is more likely to result in injury.

If they are both up to the longer drive trip, that might be slightly less covid risk. Take your own pillows, eat out via pick up or drive thru rather than in restaurants, take some wipes or spray to clean handles, remotes, light switches. That drive though is pretty long! Do take plenty of rest stop breaks and walk a bit.
From what I have read, the airlines do a god job with masks required and clean air. It's all the folks in the airport that would concern me more.

An airliner is one of the safest places to be. I have lots of friends and former colleagues that fly for a living and none of them have gotten COVID. *IF* there was a breakout because of an airplane (or a large theme park) then we would hear about it. In the world of airline employees, the only breakouts have been related to ground crews who may be lackadaisical about masks and such.
I agree with this. Early on, there were some attempts to track the passengers on planes where one or more of them later tested positive and there were no cases of "plane" transmission found. Recall that face masks were not implemented by most airlines until the May time frame, so it's fair to presume that there were hundreds of flights, including long international flights, that took place with Covid-19 positive passengers, with no media reported outbreaks.

From what we know about the transmission of the coronavirus it sure seems like airplanes would be one of the worst environments (highest risk) places to get it. But I've read two articles that discuss the details of airplane HVAC systems and modern planes have highly developed systems to minimize the spread of airborne particles. In other words, airplane engineers have been working for decades to keep the flu passenger in seat 5A from infecting the healthy passenger in 6A. I don't have any of those links handy, but you can find them easily enough and maybe reading them will help you make a decision one way or the other.

I didn't read all the postings in detail, but I'm wondering if you're aware of Pennsylvania's current COVID travel guidance and 14-day quarantine recommendations? Michigan probably has something similar that should be checked. It is a recommendation and not a requirement set in law. I'm from PA and I am on my last day of 14-day quarantine after road tripping to Florida and back to put my Mother's snowbird home up for sale. Technically, your road trippers probably need to consider any state they drive through and compare it to...

From the PA governement website for COVID Travel:

"If you have traveled, or plan to travel, to an area where there are high amounts of COVID-19 cases, it is recommended that you stay at home for 14 days upon return to Pennsylvania. If you travel to the following states, it is recommended that you quarantine for 14 days upon return:

Alabama
Arkansas
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Iowa
Kansas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Missouri
Nevada
North Carolina
North Dakota
Oklahoma
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas"

We are currently on a multi state month long road trip. I view our covid risks as essentially 5pct thus far. We packed our iwn food in a cooler. We booked hotels online and use digital key check in. No need to even pause in a common area. We've not been inside a gas station or restaurant. We pee in a jug in yhe car (i use a girl funnel). Pump gas with a glove on. We will order groceries for curbside pickup at each destination. In summary: I vote road trip

We are currently on a multi state month long road trip. I view our covid risks as essentially 5pct thus far. We packed our iwn food in a cooler. We booked hotels online and use digital key check in. No need to even pause in a common area. We've not been inside a gas station or restaurant. We pee in a jug in yhe car (i use a girl funnel). Pump gas with a glove on. We will order groceries for curbside pickup at each destination. In summary: I vote road trip

Just an aside, but OMG I think I'd rather stay at home stuck in my house, than drive through many states, pee in a jug (! :eek: ), and all the rest of it. Not meaning to be critical, because choices are limited when traveling in recent months and you are doing the best you can. Like everyone else I wish this pandemic would soon be over and behind us, so that life could return to some semblance of normal.

I didn't read all the postings in detail, but I'm wondering if you're aware of Pennsylvania's current COVID travel guidance and 14-day quarantine recommendations? Michigan probably has something similar that should be checked. It is a recommendation and not a requirement set in law. I'm from PA and I am on my last day of 14-day quarantine after road tripping to Florida and back to put my Mother's snowbird home up for sale. Technically, your road trippers probably need to consider any state they drive through and compare it to...

From the PA governement website for COVID Travel:

"If you have traveled, or plan to travel, to an area where there are high amounts of COVID-19 cases, it is recommended that you stay at home for 14 days upon return to Pennsylvania. If you travel to the following states, it is recommended that you quarantine for 14 days upon return:

Alabama
Arkansas
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Iowa
Kansas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Missouri
Nevada
North Carolina
North Dakota
Oklahoma
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas"

Yes - a few weeks ago California was on the list. But has been removed now. So I am aware of the states that are on the 'naughty' list.

If he drives) he would probably be stopping in Kentucky (not on list, SIL lives there) and Michigan prior to arriving in PA.

Michigan does not have a similar list on their website... They had a list in July that I found - but it was not available on the state website... only in a news article.

I did find a good article from the CDC on travel. It looks at what you need to do to stay clean/safe by each method of travel.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/travel-during-covid19.html

From what we know about the transmission of the coronavirus it sure seems like airplanes would be one of the worst environments (highest risk) places to get it. But I've read two articles that discuss the details of airplane HVAC systems and modern planes have highly developed systems to minimize the spread of airborne particles. In other words, airplane engineers have been working for decades to keep the flu passenger in seat 5A from infecting the healthy passenger in 6A. I don't have any of those links handy, but you can find them easily enough and maybe reading them will help you make a decision one way or the other.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...in that extreme case,the risk of getting sick.

a person with flu on a modern airplane with its air system functioning will infect 0.7 people, so yeah, pretty safe. COVID numbers not known, but given how infectious the flu is, airplane risk seems low. Keep the mask on the whole time, wear eye protection if you've got it, don't use the lavatory if it can be avoided, sanitize hands regularly to avoid picking anything up from surfaces and it seems a lot safer than a week driving and using public restrooms. But ultimately it's a risk decision with imperfect information...

DW and I are taking the plunge and visiting the kids and a trip to Key West. Flying for both trips. After researching the subject we are taking as many precautions as possible. No shuttle buses at the airport. We'll bite the bullet and pay the $26/ day at the terminal for parking. Although we'll look like aliens it will be face masks and shields at the airport and on the plane. We'll be flying Delta and renting a Hertz car while implementing our own cleaning protocol. Is it worth it?

To us it is. Nana needs desperately to see the grandkids even if it means sitting in their driveway on lawn chairs. A calculated risk and something I certainly wouldn't promote to anyone. Priorities I suppose. On the other hand we would not consider going to a restaurant at this time. From what I've read that would pose a greater risk than an airline flight.

We'll see how it goes.

FWIW, American is not blocking capacity much (if at all) on its small planes. We were on a single aisle, two seats on a side plane this morning and there were no empty seats outside of row 1 in first class.

Everyone was required to mask throughout, and deplaning was row by row from the front. Thus, if two travel together and book adjacent seats, still relatively low exposure potential.

DW and I are taking the plunge and visiting the kids and a trip to Key West. Flying for both trips. After researching the subject we are taking as many precautions as possible. No shuttle buses at the airport. We'll bite the bullet and pay the $26/ day at the terminal for parking. Although we'll look like aliens it will be face masks and shields at the airport and on the plane. We'll be flying Delta and renting a Hertz car while implementing our own cleaning protocol. Is it worth it?

To us it is. Nana needs desperately to see the grandkids even if it means sitting in their driveway on lawn chairs. A calculated risk and something I certainly wouldn't promote to anyone. Priorities I suppose. On the other hand we would not consider going to a restaurant at this time. From what I've read that would pose a greater risk than an airline flight.

We'll see how it goes.

Key West is (was?) the shortest runway served by any DL single aisle twin. The landing leaves the passengers invigorated!;)

Drive. You control the risk when you do this. Flying you can’t control the risk.

All the hotels will let you book and checkin from your phone.

Gas is a credit card and sanitize ur hands after.

With multiple people the driving can be split up.

I have done the cross country trip 5 times now back and forth. With Covid, I think I would drive again. In normal times I would fly. Good luck with your decision and I will keep your family in my prayers.

Key West is (was?) the shortest runway served by any DL single aisle twin. The landing leaves the passengers invigorated!;)

Adsolutely! One morning we were trying to leave after 8 inches of rain flooded the terminal and one end of the runway. Our pilot made a test run in an SUV to determine if we had enough dry pavement to take off. We made it.

An August 25 193-passenger "Covidiot" TUI flight with inept crew from Greece to Cardiff resulted in 16 positive cases. All passengers were required to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival as a result.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53970217

omni

An August 25 193-passenger "Covidiot" TUI flight with inept crew from Greece to Cardiff resulted in 16 positive cases. All passengers were required to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival as a result.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53970217

omni

I would take this as an exception and not the rule. Every situation like this will be reported in the media, but it will never be contrasted against the far greater number of flights where these things are not happening.

I would take this as an exception and not the rule. Every situation like this will be reported in the media, but it will never be contrasted against the far greater number of flights where these things are not happening.

I have flown recently on United. It was the first flight out in the morning. The plane I was on got in the previous night. You could tell it was cleaned. When entering the cabin, you can smell the chemicals that were sprayed to disinfect the entire interior of the plane.

Back
Top Bottom