Why I avoid hospitals, surgery and constantly wash my hands

I see several types of infections listed. What does sepsis fall under? It's definitely not c-diff or some of the other mentioned.

My insurance only covers one hospital so no point in researching.
I hope this isn't due to "you can keep you doctor" rules. Personally I'd get different insurance if that was anywhere near reasonably possible.

Avoid surgery? How? If you need it, you need it. I flew off my bike a couple of years ago and broke my hip. It's not like I could walk home and self treat. Even elective stuff is a trade off. If I was crippled from loss of knee cartilage and couldn't walk or ride my bike, I would go for a replacement. The risk of a serious infection is a trade off that deserves consideration but isn't a red light stopping all procedures.
I've hurt my back, one of my knees and a super bad ankle/foot injury. All much worse than just the common strains/sprains/etc that last a few days or weeks. I have no doubt that many doctors would have recommend surgical procedures for one or more of those injuries but in many case (certainly not all) time heals. In each of those injures it took over a year for the pain/sensitivity to fully subside. The ankle and back injuries took almost two years before I felt 100%. Maybe a doctor could have accelerated the recovery, or maybe not, or maybe they could have made it worse.

Maybe those don't fall into the "if you need it you need" category. There are a lot of surgeries done everyday that really are not needed. Then again, I'd agree, in some cases it's a necessity. For me, it's worked out staying away from hospitals,,,,, so far.

Last edited:
Washing hands is now a problem. They have found the hand sinks in rooms have significant "splash back" from the drains. There is a movement afoot to figure out a better design for hand sinks in rooms.

C-diff isn't a party either. If you don't die from it, you live a miserable life for a few months.

I see several types of infections listed. What does sepsis fall under? It's definitely not c-diff or some of the other mentioned.

If you click on the name of each hospital, a page pops up that provides more specific info, like bloodstream infections and surgical site infections, urinary tract infections, etc.

Mayo has a specific definition for sepsis that is more of a reaction to infection treatment rather than the infection itself. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sepsis/symptoms-causes/syc-20351214

An article in USA Today which a talks about a proposal that would end the reporting of hospital acquired infections.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...blic-reporting-hospital-infections/710682002/

Really? Didn't you read the entire article?

CMS chief medical officer Kate Goodrich said the agency "is committed to transparency of quality and cost information" and denied that it was proposing to remove the information from Hospital Compare. She also emphasized that the changes are up for public comment.
That's what's wrong with the news media, constantly creating undue hype without publishing (or even knowing) all the facts.

Last edited by a moderator:

That's what's wrong with the news media, constantly creating undue hype without publishing (or even knowing) all the facts.

I'm not sure why that link even got posted.. this is a decent thread with some good resource links but people can't resist throwing in political comments that lead to eventual shutdown...posters please don't do this.

Wow, that's interesting. The hospitals I would consider the best in the country did not get very good ratings...Northwestern in Chicago, University of Chicago, Rush.

That was my impression as well. My son works at U of C, I would have expected them to be at an 'exceptional' level in almost every measure. They have a world-class reputation, is it really undeserved, or just doesn't translate to better care for patients?

My daughter is a nurse in a nearby, smaller, 'no-name' community hospital, and their ratings mostly weren't too different from U of C, better in some areas.

The hospitals near me did not take part in the survey, so I just don't know what to make of this.

-ERD50

I'm not sure why that link even got posted.. this is a decent thread with some good resource links but people can't resist throwing in political comments that lead to eventual shutdown...posters please don't do this.

I think he was criticizing the news business. I don't think there was anything political about it.

Mike D.

I think he was criticizing the news business. I don't think there was anything political about it.

Mike D.

I was referring to the posting of the link to USA today which was political and not really germane to the thread discussion.

It's not just the hospitals...
We went to a sub shop a few years back, and no one was behind the counter. After a minute, an employee walked through the front door, dragging a trash can, which she placed in the shop lobby. She then walked behind the counter, took our order and started reaching for the bread. She was not wearing gloves when she brought in the trash can, and she did not wash her hands before grabbing the loaf of bread bare handed. I said "aren't you going to wash your hands, first?" "Oh, yeah". As she was washing her hands, we left.

Car guy, it is my insurance as a state retiree that we pay a fortune for.

It's not just the hospitals...
We went to a sub shop a few years back, and no one was behind the counter. After a minute, an employee walked through the front door, dragging a trash can, which she placed in the shop lobby. She then walked behind the counter, took our order and started reaching for the bread. She was not wearing gloves when she brought in the trash can, and she did not wash her hands before grabbing the loaf of bread bare handed. I said "aren't you going to wash your hands, first?" "Oh, yeah". As she was washing her hands, we left.

Sub shop? Try family loved ones at home! Raw chicken on the cutting board, nice fresh veggies scattered around the counter, salad in one corner and dog on floor waiting for a taste. DH pets dog, grabs a carrot slice, puts spoon in mashed potatoes takes a bite, drinks straight from milk carton. My hair is grey for a reason. I do have surgical gloves and have decided ONE person in the kitchen to keep track of the germs hopping from place to place.

I have plenty to worry about so will not worry about this. When I watch the news I have ten more things to worry about. I lost track along time ago

And then the growing list of diseases in which our increasing 'attention' to cleanliness is implicated. Go on let your kid eat some dirt, it's probably good for them.

my immune system is still doing a lot of good work , i may as well keep one body function in good shape

the drug-elluding stent has at least not overridden the natural defense system

Design
Drug-eluting stents generally consist of three parts - the stent platform, a polymer coating that binds the drug to the stent and releases drug (although stents have been tested that do without a coating), and the drug.[32]

[mod edit - copyright, see here http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/copyright-the-dmca-and-cut-and-paste-62748.html ]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug-eluting_stent

sourced from Wikipedia

Last edited:
DH tested positive for mersa when he went into a Chicago hospital for open heart surgery (he already had it)—not a problem but everyone needed to suit up going into his room, etc., etc. I always wondered if bringing an infection in affected the hosputal’s statistics.

And then the growing list of diseases in which our increasing 'attention' to cleanliness is implicated. Go on let your kid eat some dirt, it's probably good for them.

I've heard that before, and suspect that it may be why I don't get sick very often, having grown up around dogs, cats, several varieties of birds, hamsters, rabbits, a chicken once, and probably some I don't remember. My younger sister was the one always bringing home some new form of pet to keep. And my dog slept in bed, under the covers (he was a terrier).

But my poor DW gets sick at the slightest sign of the sniffles while I continue unaffected. Her family had one dog for a short period of time when she was growing up.

You do have to be careful, though.

I recall Tom Lehrer's line about the guy who majored in animal husbandry …

… until they caught him at it.

IIRC, the rest of it goes that he later went to medical school and became a doctor, specializing in diseases of the rich.

FWIW Consumer Reports has a page that lists safety scores for hospitals across the country.
https://www.consumerreports.org/health/hospitals/ratings

This version of their report seems better to me than when they first published it. Back then, their report tended to favor smaller hospitals, at least in my area, over larger, but possibly more appropriate hospitals. For example, there is one teaching hospital in the area and it has a Level 1 trauma center. It was ranked much lower (on the earlier report) than a number of small town hospitals. I think that they favored infection rates perhaps too heavily before which could lead you to think that the small town hospital with a poor word of mouth reputation was better than the teaching hospital.

Looking at the data for my area now, I think that it is pretty consistent with the word of mouth reputation of the hospitals here.

Good advise to check objective data on Dr's and Hospitals. I use CastleConnolly for Dr's (well worth the small fee), US News for Hospitals and HealthGrades for both.

Also, it's important to be informed and advocate for yourself. When I was in for a procedure I agreed to let an intern take out my stitches. She checked her phone right before hand and I told her to go back and wash her hands again. Stupid stuff like this can be very dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom