A Tacky Christmas Card?

Is the QL-800 the cordless rechargeable model? The model I have runs on several AA batteries or plug in. I leave plugged in.

I had a DYMO label maker before the brother but difference was night and day. The Brother is so much nicer.

It's USB powered. I don't think it takes batteries, but I am not real sure. I am glad you mentioned it though as I am almost out of labels! That would have been a bummer while printing out this years card labels! What's your address? I will send you a thank you card. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

It's USB powered. I don't think it takes batteries, but I am not real sure. I am glad you mentioned it though as I am almost out of labels! That would have been a bummer while printing out this years card labels! What's your address? I will send you a thank you card. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I just did an image search on the model you have. Looks like a sweet machine. The one I have uses either AA batteries or AC power. I have the label printer sitting on top of my external DVD RW drive so just leave plugged in.

A nice feature is auto cut. I print a label and the machine cuts the label for me after the print.

I make no judgments about Christmas cards. If you were kind enough to send me one, I am grateful to receive it, regardless of how it is addressed, annotated or signed.

+1

Particularly as we no longer send cards to anyone.

We post them all up on the mantle or the fridge (with magnets) no matter how tacky they are.

Merry Christmas!

I just did an image search on the model you have. Looks like a sweet machine. The one I have uses either AA batteries or AC power. I have the label printer sitting on top of my external DVD RW drive so just leave plugged in.

A nice feature is auto cut. I print a label and the machine cuts the label for me after the print.

It is nice. I don't use it often, but it's so simple to use...and quite convenient. It also has the auto cut that makes it easier to use. I think my favorite part is when I turn it on, the very simple/easy p-touch lite app opens up...nothing complex about it unlike some of the other Brother apps.

Sorry for the derailed thread. Labels will be here today, and we will get the cards mailed off tomorrow.

It is nice. I don't use it often, but it's so simple to use...and quite convenient. It also has the auto cut that makes it easier to use. I think my favorite part is when I turn it on, the very simple/easy p-touch lite app opens up...nothing complex about it unlike some of the other Brother apps.

Sorry for the derailed thread. Labels will be here today, and we will get the cards mailed off tomorrow.

Thanks for quick review :). One thing I don't like of the model I have is the door for swapping different sized ribbons is a bit sticky and catches. Other than that the label maker I have is easy to use.

Even tackier is a Christmas card from a charity we support with many $$$$ including a preaddressed envelope for additional donations.

Even tackier is a Christmas card from a charity we support with many $$$$ including a preaddressed envelope for additional donations.

I don't think that's really out of the ordinary, especially since so many people are in the giving mood this time of year. It's also a decent reminder...as one of the charities we donate to somehow "fell off" our list this year, but the card worked as we sent them a donation. :D

I used to get a Christmas card from Fidelity, but that ended last year. Not sure what I did to upset them.

Several years ago I received a Christmas card from Elaine Benes, for a Christmas card, it was tacky!

I used to donate to a few charities that sent a request for a mail-in donation but quit due to the constant barrage of donation requests that have continued for years. I throw out any mail requests. Now I donate locally in person to charities in which I am familiar and most of the time with cash.

Cheers!

I used to donate to a few charities that sent a request for a mail-in donation but quit due to the constant barrage of donation requests that have continued for years.

One of my sisters used to throw all her loose change in a jar (back when we used cash) and would periodically roll it up, take it to the bank, and donate the money to "this or that" charity. She stopped doing that for exactly the reason you mention, the ensuing deluge of further donation requests.

We send out around 200 cards so we use preprinted labels. My DW writes a personal note and signs the cards. Not having to write each address and checking them twice saves a lot of valuable time during the season. Anyone too snooty about it just needs to let me know and they will be removed for the next year.

Speaking of which....a little off topic. My DW and her sister went to a baby shower a couple of months ago. The "sign in" was accomplished by writing your name/address on an envelope. About a month later, a non-personalized thank you card showed up via USPS in the envelope my DW had filled out. :cool: While this seems like a pretty nifty idea, it comes off as tacky IMHO.

I know that may seem tacky, but the pregnant mama is probably exhausted and working 50 hours a week. She may have nothing left to give and that is the best she could do. I would give the benefit of the doubt here.

I make no judgments about Christmas cards. If you were kind enough to send me one, I am grateful to receive it, regardless of how it is addressed, annotated or signed.

This. I personally love receiving photo cards and the annual update letters. I send about 140 photo cards and a photocopied annual letter every year. Every person I send to either sends me a card or emails me when they receive my card and provides their photos and update. I think people eagerly await my letter because I am not on social media. Every year I cull anyone I haven't heard from during that year off my list. Every year I'll get an email from someone who fell off my list the previous year informing me that they moved after they failed to get my card.

Better a pre-adderessed label than no card, but if you use a printer with envelope-feed capability, you can print directly on the envelope using a "script" font to get "hand addressed" quality. The idea isn't new - I did for a friend who was running for Congress maybe 20 years ago. He didn't win, but he placed well against the incumbent while spending maybe 10% as much as the incumbent did.

Every charity (bar none) always sends me the thank you.

Thanks for the dough, send more please.

You were expecting something else?

Every charity (bar none) always sends me the thank you.

Thanks for the dough, send more please.

You were expecting something else?
I'm pretty sure that they are required to communicate certain information for your taxes - the amount of the gift, that you received nothing of value in return and that they are a qualified 501(c)(3) organization.

Nope. In fact especially for the photo cards, which are more meaningful to provide "face" time. My "least" favorite cards are cards that are just signed. Canned text is not as special as even a few written sentences, a newsletter-type status update or a photo. Merry Christmas!

I get a card every year from a brother. Photo of his family, pre-addressed envelop. Nothing written. Oh, my street name spelled incorrectly for about 10 years and still going :LOL:.

I've got one better...a former childhood friend (who I deliberately cut ties with) used to send out a 3 page "What I did all Year" holiday newsletter detailing all the trips, achievements etc. she and her fam accomplished.

This went on for far too long - to the point where the envelope was promptly discarded unopened as soon as I recognized the return address.

Tacky = If I wanted to know what you were up to, I would have kept in touch...

Last edited:
I know that may seem tacky, but the pregnant mama is probably exhausted and working 50 hours a week. She may have nothing left to give and that is the best she could do. I would give the benefit of the doubt here.

Perhaps so, but her husband is/was quite capable in helping her. :D

I've got one better...a former childhood friend (who I deliberately cut ties with) used to send out a 3 page "What I did all Year" holiday newsletter detailing all the trips, achievements etc. she and her fam accomplished.

This went on for far too long - to the point where the envelope was promptly discarded unopened as soon as I recognized the return address.

Tacky = If I wanted to know what you were up to, I would have kept in touch...

We used to get one of these as well. Some of them were SO FREAKING long...my goodness!

I still get one every year from friends I haven't seen in decades that describes everything they did all year, everything each of their kids did, everything each of their grandkids did, and all the local politics in their city.

Doesn't bother me a bit, because they obviously enjoy putting all that information together, so it's a harmless diversion for them. Any cards I send out, and there are few of them anymore, contain two or three very short paragraphs at most, and focus on us and the recipients, no other relatives on either side.

Back
Top Bottom