Any guys give up on their hair?

I wear hats and sunglasses frequently (I have hair). It’s the Unabomber look.

Incognito, is good. I have been accused of that before. Lol

Pops was in the Marines when I was little and every Saturday we would hit the barber shop together for a high and tight hair cut.

Fifty years later, although there’s less of it, I keep my hair 1/4”. Never had longer hair.

Still have mostly a full head of hair and yes I do care about it. However, I do not color it and would probably never go the chrome dome look as I have a large head.
It does not look good on everyone. Looked good on Michael Jordan. lol

Mike Love, The Beach Boys. Seemed to always struggle. Lots of hats.
I played with one of my golf buddies several times before I saw him without a hat, he didn't take it off afterward when we gathered for the required beer and lies. The first time I saw him without a hat I didn't recognize him until he spoke...:LOL:

I gave up on it 20 years ago. I buzz cut once a month; I must have saved enough to retire on!

Mike Love, The Beach Boys. Seemed to always struggle. Lots of hats.

My point exactly. Own and be proud of your baldness. Be confident in who you are. That’s way more attractive than hair.

I've been buzzing my hair with the #1 guard on a Wahl clipper (1/8") for, shoot, about 25 years now (I'm 58). I think my hair might be receding a bit, but I do it for the convenience, and cost savings over going to a barber.

My best friend, a female, has a history of baldness in the women in her family. To her horror, she started thinning out in her early to mid 40's. One day, she plucked up the courage to ask me to buzz it like mine. It looked amazing, and she was won over! She used to love her long hair, and went through quite a lengthy and difficult period in which she realized she was losing it. She saw it as part of her femininity. Now, she loves the cropped look, and also loves the ease of maintenance. Sometimes, she'll crop and bleach it for a look that is a bit more "standout". She, unfortunately, is rather sensitive to the way her looks are perceived by others. It has been a great joy to me, to see her make the best of her hair loss, and turn it into a positive. I very much like the practical "let's make the best of what we have" approach.

Anyway, I realize the original question was about fellers. I'll bring it full circle by reiterating that I buzz mine fairly regularly with a 1/8" clipper guard, with the same Wahl clippers that I bought from Sears around 25 years ago. You're supposed to lubricate the blades with mineral oil, which I think have done all of twice. Possibly the best $20 I have spent in a long time.

Last edited:
For the last couple of years, I've been somewhere between a buzz cut and 1/4". I have considered shaving my head but so far resisted due to the increased workload. I have had a beard for a while, and I think the beard looks much better with short hair (or maybe the short hair looks better with a beard).

Wow, got this far and no mention of Flowbees, wish I had one, save some $ and if DW is the barber then nothing to complain about the cut from either of us.

Pops was in the Marines when I was little and every Saturday we would hit the barber shop together for a high and tight hair cut.

Fifty years later, although there’s less of it, I keep my hair 1/4”. Never had longer hair.
Actual vintage photo of 1242Vintage getting encouraged by pops to get that haircut. :LOL:
r_header.jpg

My best friend, a female, has a history of baldness in the women in her family. To her horror, she started thinning out in her early to mid 40's. One day, she plucked up the courage to ask me to buzz it like mine. It looked amazing, and she was won over! She used to love her long hair, and went through quite a lengthy and difficult period in which she realized she was losing it. She saw it as part of her femininity. Now, she loves the cropped look, and also loves the ease of maintenance. Sometimes, she'll crop and bleach it for a look that is a bit more "standout". She, unfortunately, is rather sensitive to the way her looks are perceived by others. It has been a great joy to me, to see her make the best of her hair loss, and turn it into a positive. I very much like the practical "let's make the best of what we have" approach.

Good for her!

Female baldness is not as uncommon as people think. And neither is my very premature balding that uncommon. Our society places so much on looks, so when you end up at the end of the bell curve, it can be hell.

I figure God made my genes so if my hair thins out or turns grey; that is the way it will be. Currently mostly grey, and receding at the front and temples. No fake coloring or plugs for me.

I use clippers with number 5 (5/8 length) guard currently. Takes a few minutes to cut, and DW helping to trim over ears and back with no guard on the clippers. Figure clipper cut will get shorter as the hair gets less. So yes OP, go with it short. It is much easier being short and low maintenance.

Since I have also had skin cancer, now I am much more conscientious about sunscreen especially on top of my head. I wear more hats then I used to.

DW has been giving me great #2 on the sides and #4 on top for years. The savings are a small contribution to her own hair stylist costs which result in much more impressive results. Of course her hair stylist has a better client

Last edited:
Hair - No Problem

I'm letting my freak flag fly.....:greetings10:

My hair is now shorter and more gray than it used to be -

^ looks great. I never had long hair but had it to collar length at the longest. I think some people look better with longer hair then others.

One females perspective:
Mens hair looks nice when it's short, neat, clean, natural.
No man buns, no dye, no comb overs.
Lived through the 70's long hair--didn't really like it. But if you have a pony tail, keep it pulled back, clean and its OK. Hate the greasy loose look always flopping in the face or the top knot.

So, mullets are fine? :)

I've been thinning on top since I was 20. Now, my MPB is very apparent with lots of empty space on top in front. Tried comb-over but it looks stupid.

Good news: Until last year, I had almost no gray hair (except in my beard). Suddenly, last year, I began to go gray rather quickly. Saw some Christmas pics from a week ago and it's now very apparent.

I've been told I'm the "perfect" candidate for transplants from the side. I don't think I've lost a follicle on the side and it's really stuck to my head. Actually, when I first heard "perfect" I wondered if they guy had run a D&B report on me.:LOL:

So at near 75, I've given up - I guess. I used to color the beard, but what a pain. I think my gray is age-appropriate, so I'm not going to do anything about it. YMMV

Why do people want any type of body hair? Honest question. I could have saved lots of money on shampoo and shavers / razor blades / deodorant if I have no hair at all.

It would be easy to have a hat / beanie on if sculp skin care is important but other than that, it is just the social norms in the way, which doesn't really mean much these days if you are not a public figure.

Last edited:
I played with one of my golf buddies several times before I saw him without a hat, he didn't take it off afterward when we gathered for the required beer and lies. The first time I saw him without a hat I didn't recognize him until he spoke...:LOL:

And then you see a tan face with a cue ball white dome. Not a good look!

I’m thinking about a buzz cut. Not really interested in shaving my head but thinking a very close clipper cut and being done with it. My hair chose to leave me and I suspect that I’ll only have side hair in 5 to 10 years. When I get a hair cut, they always try to leave what is on top alone and I have to tell them that even if you comb it from front to back, it’s still a comb over. I want no part of that.

So, I’m wondering if others have given up and if they’re happy with it. I thinking one of the main benefits is that in the summer when swimming, I can just use sunscreen instead of wearing a hat. Other times, it seems like just an easier way to deal with my head. No shampoo, no combing, no bed head, no hat head and what should be a pretty simple hair cut. Not sure if when you cut you hair that short if you still have to outline around the ears and the collar but still, that should be pretty easy for my daughter who now is the one cutting my hair since COVID.

So - keep what I have or just give up and move on?

I did a buzz about 20 years ago and have never gone back. 1/2" on the top and 1/4" on the sides.

When I get out of the shower I towel my head off and am done!

DW often buzzes me using a set of Wahl clippers or sometims I go to the barber.

One females perspective:
Mens hair looks nice when it's short, neat, clean, natural.
No man buns, no dye, no comb overs.
Lived through the 70's long hair--didn't really like it. But if you have a pony tail, keep it pulled back, clean and its OK. Hate the greasy loose look always flopping in the face or the top knot.

This is the opposite of what’s worked for me. Both DGF and ex always like my hair better when it’s longer. I usually let it grow out for a few months and when it starts to bother me, get it cut. Never too short, or at least I try not to get it too short, but most hairdressers cut it shorter than I want regardless. It’s hard to find a hairdresser who knows how to cut longer hair on a guy.

I agree that it needs to be neat regardless of length.

I've looked like crap ever since covid and I got one of those "6 different plastic clips for the buzz clipper" widgets. Go out side and whack off my own hair jobbies.

Who cares anymore?

I've looked like crap ever since covid and I got one of those "6 different plastic clips for the buzz clipper" widgets. Go out side and whack off my own hair jobbies.

Who cares anymore?
Exactly. Bad business for hair stylists and salons in addition to lots of other industries during this pandemic but as long as I am clean and keep neutral hair, no one really cares.

I do have to wash my face in the morning before my zoom meetings with my clients. High resolution cameras in modern laptops show too much details.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom