Best, Safest, Easiest Way to Make This Move

Movers will not take house plants or liquids. Your Ex and daughter may not care about the bottle of Windex but do they have supplies of liquor? I agree with professional movers plus driving, which will allow them to take all their valuables with them. The Ex and daughter also need to be there when the movers finish. Movers will "forget" to empty a drawer here, a closet there. DH and I used a firm with a good reputation last year and we had to keep pointing out what they'd left behind. It was the same with our move from NJ to KS in 2003; we had to remind them to pack the tools in our garden shed.

actually they packed and moved our booze - when they (finally) unloaded they made sure to put that box front and center :D

Good reminder, that Daughter and ex should take things that are important which would cause issues if movers lose it.
in addition to the things mentioned above: computers, $$$, insurance policies, last yr tax return, passports, jewerly.

Already I can see somebody will have to drive or have a carry-on.

why not just charter a private jet and load all that stuff on - no need to drive if there isn't a budget

...Anyhow, there are all kinds of options here, and once again, money is not much of an issue, so any ideas about a good way to do the logistics would be appreciated.

why not just charter a private jet and load all that stuff on - no need to drive if there isn't a budget

didn't exactly say there isn't a budget. just said money isn't much of an issue. chartering a private jet would be stepping way over the line. but your post got me to thinking: what about chartering a private railroad car?:cool:

edit to add: never mind. i checked out the pricing. it still breaks "the money is not an issue budget."

Last edited:
Hire movers. The dogs can fly. The car can be shipped for under a grand.

Do they have a place to stay picked out? If not the movers can store the stuff.

I like RobbieB's solution. They can stay in an Extended Stay America or similar until they have a place to stay and until their stuff has been delivered to that place. Since I gather that you will be helping your daughter to buy a new car anyway, that can be done immediately once they arrive, so that they have "wheels" while waiting.

I like RobbieB's solution. They can stay in an Extended Stay America or similar until they have a place to stay and until their stuff has been delivered to that place. Since I gather that you will be helping your daughter to buy a new car anyway, that can be done immediately once they arrive, so that they have "wheels" while waiting.

Thanks, but the "having a place to stay" shouldn't be a problem. The daughter will stay in our guest room, the ex-wife will stay in my son's guest room. We've never had both of them visit at the same time before. And, while it may sound a bit like they are joined at the hip, they are not. They both like to read (but different types of books) and they both like to garden--but that's about it. Oh, and they both like Game of Thrones.

Movers will not take house plants or liquids. Your Ex and daughter may not care about the bottle of Windex but do they have supplies of liquor? I agree with professional movers plus driving, which will allow them to take all their valuables with them. The Ex and daughter also need to be there when the movers finish. Movers will "forget" to empty a drawer here, a closet there. DH and I used a firm with a good reputation last year and we had to keep pointing out what they'd left behind. It was the same with our move from NJ to KS in 2003; we had to remind them to pack the tools in our garden shed.

I know they're funny on what they'll take. Firearms yes, houseplants no. No alcohol or ammunition then I foolishly pointed to the jugs of nitro powder and primers, after explaining what they were I'm moving them.

They are telling me that someone(us) has to be on both ends of the move with gaurenteed funds for them. Not sure if they're all like that.

They are telling me that someone(us) has to be on both ends of the move with gaurenteed funds for them. Not sure if they're all like that.

Could be; my last long-distance move was company-paid so I don't remember, but they've already expended a lot of labor in packing and loading. As I mentioned earlier, it's best to be there anyway to make sure everything is gone. Last time, our packer ignored the cabinet under the kitchen sink. I pointed that out and she said, "we don't take liquids". I had to point out that scouring powder, sponges and latex gloves were not liquids.

It was fun writing the Angie's List review afterwards.

FWIW, the new neighbors (oh no) across the street arrived last week using this new U-Box system from U-Haul. It is a modular system where you supply as much or little of the labor as desired. They had everything done professionally - all the equipment looked new and arrived promptly. They keep a low profile (good), so I have not yet met them for input. I believe this was an in-state move.
I live up a steep, narrow road with no turn around clearance for a tractor trailer. The many crates came one by one on special trailers (not shown on the website) that could easily maneuver into optimal position and drop them for unloading. The previous neighbors used a conventional mover with semi-truck - they had to back the mile or so downhill in order to turn.

https://www.uhaul.com/UBox/

Hire movers. The dogs can fly. The car can be shipped for under a grand.

Do they have a place to stay picked out? If not the movers can store the stuff.

What he said - a wise man for sure !!

The wife and moved 14 times the first 20 years of our marriage - oilfield and going to the job(s). We were good at doing it ourselves with the U-Hauls.

The last move to our present home was about 14 years ago....Now that we are going on 35 years of wedded bliss - If and when we move - we will hire it done

I know they're funny on what they'll take. Firearms yes, houseplants no. No alcohol or ammunition then I foolishly pointed to the jugs of nitro powder and primers, after explaining what they were I'm moving them.

Reminds me of a colleague who was moved during early 1980's, movers wrapped everything in paper, then packed items in labeled boxes, then unloaded same in new location.

Second day in new location, hardy laughs were made over two old clear milk bottles under kitchen sink, each complete with a "mummified mouse" found inside!

If you don't mind doing 60 mph the whole way.

I noticed that today after spending a couple of hours on interstate roads. Every traffic clog to slowly get around was either a U-haul truck or an RV. The RVs I can understand, they're (hopefully) retired and not in a hurry.

Evidently no one at U-haul was notified that the 55-mph speed limit was repealed in most places and they left the governors set there.

UPDATE:
Pretty much making the move using a combo of suggestions (including 38Chevy454's suggestion).

Best, safest, easiest? Hire professional
moving co and let them do the work. Unless daughter is really tied to the Tundra, sell it and then drive ex-wife's car with dogs back. Alternatively let movers handle car and then fly with dogs in carriers. Assumes the dogs are reasonably good and will travel OK on plane.

Hiring professional movers. Ex-wife and daughter will have the movers combine their stuff and ship it out. Apparently, a lot of stuff will stay in Wisc.--either sold or given away. Ex-wife will fly out, daughter will drive her mom's car; daughter's Tundra will be shipped (without the bags of sand and salt)--but, with the two dogs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom