Cheap prepaid cell phone deal

I went to Target and they were sold out, unfortunately. There isn't another Target in town, so I'll be on the look out for another good deal.

All is not lost.

Someone posted the link to the phone on tmobiles web site, here it is:

Unsupported Browser

Tmobile is selling it for $29 with an included $25 recharge card, which is on top of the 15 minutes (or whatever) you get automatically on activation.

Buy that phone, activate it, but dont apply the $25 card to it yet...and when you've used the 15 minutes up, go here

T-Mobile To Go Refill Wireless Prepaid Cell Phone Airtime Minutes Online at CallingMart.com

Choose the $100 card, add to cart, go to checkout and enter the code "12offtmo1031"

They'll email you the PINS for a $100 card and that'll end up costing about $90. I've bought cards from them before and they've always sent them out within a few minutes to an hour. The pins dont have an expiration that i'm aware of but I wouldnt wait a year to put them in.

Add the $100 card either through the phone or on-line.

When those minutes are about to expire in a year, add the $25 card that came with the phone to add some minutes and extend whatever you've got leftover from the $100/1000 minute card for another year. Make sure you check the fine print on the $25 card to make sure it doesnt expire in a month or three months or something like that.

If you dont yap more than 500 minutes a year, that gets you a new phone and service for two years for $119.

If you still have minutes leftover after year two, buy a $10 card online and add that to extend them another year, or a $100 card to get you a thousand extra minutes and another year.

Either callingmart or cheapphonecards has the tmobile cards for around 88-92 with some coupon codes you can usually google or find on fatwallet.

Last edited:
Holy crap! Thanks very much for taking the time and effort to type all out that out. I, for one, appreciate it. I'm going to go that route.

Thanks again! I guess I owe you ANOTHER beer. ;)

The local Target was sold out this afternoon but they assured me that the phones would be restocked throughout the week. Of course, they would not let me reserve one today since none were currently in stock. Hard to say if they will actually have the phones during the sale period though.

I can always use more beer!

I'm not sure they're going to get a lot more. The phone seems to be closed out, its not buyable on the target.com site, and even tmobile is dumping them.

But it sounds like some are going to be returned or have been already and just havent moved from returns to the electronics area. Skews of people on fatwallet are buying the combo and taking the phone back.

The second method is a little more expensive for the whole deal, but it also lets you try the phone and the service for a cheap price. If you're just not getting the coverage you want or you hate the phone, you're out $29. And its not THAT much more expensive.

One sort of nice byproduct of these phones is that they're pretty anonymous. You *can* log into the tmobile web site (you give it the phone number and it texts you a temp password) and put your name, address, a credit card for recharges and all that in, check your balances, etc. But you dont have to.

Thanks CFB for the info on the other method to get a decent deal -- like you say, might be better to try the phone and the service in my location (and only be out $29 if coverage is poor). Their coverage map was not the greatest here but appeared to be decent.

Coverage varies widely by region, but its been pretty good for us in two different residential areas about 90 minutes apart. Theres one spot off of a windy highway between here and my in-laws who live up in the Sierras where the signal drops off to zero for about a mile or two...and I doubt theres a soul living within 10 miles there. I wouldnt even know about that if my first tmoble phone didnt beep when it lost coverage and beep again when it came back Other than that one spot we get at least a couple of bars even in the more remote areas.

I heard some rumblings a few months ago about tmobile "doing away" with the To Go program and coming up with something a little less cheap and a little less flexible, but nothing concrete.

Back
Top Bottom