copy of photo ID with resume

The company hired a recruiting company to do the "screening".
And apparently, any resume submitted to the company required a photo or photo ID. The recruiting company's flunky sounded a bit apologetic about it.

I said no. And in the follow-up phone call I made to her, I told her she better tell the higher-ups that this is illegal and they can get into trouble over it.
Good that you did that. As a recruiting firm, they could also use your image to shop it with other clients sending it along with your resume. Generally a good reason not to comply as you have no contract with them to represent you to employers.

- Rita

I called up Ajulia and talked to the woman who called.

She was very understanding and said that apparently in Asian and European countries including a photograph with the resume is standard practice.
My guess is that this is an Indian-owned pharmaceutical company. There is a couple in the area.

I told her that these companies need to be told that it is illegal in this country to ask for such a photo.

Discrimination is standard operating procedures in those countries. There's a cast like system in India and in China they openly discriminate in ads and always require you to state your age on applications and request a photo. If you're not the right color color and age and not too attractive, forget it. Most Americans have no clue how racist and classist most countries are, particularly developing countries. If you look at their social structure you'll know why the poor and unconnected in those places don't stand a chance.

Most Americans have no clue how racist and classist most countries are.

One of the greatest advances of modern times was the outlawing of those practices.

My grandfather (born in 1895) used to talk about how when he was a young man looking for work, nearly every "Help Wanted" ad included the phrase "No Irish need apply." I found that hard to believe at first, since I grew up in Brooklyn NY and my friends were every color and nationality.

Back
Top Bottom