• Yes

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Somewhere in between "Yes" and "No"

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I don't think this would be too intrusive. As a matter of fact, I like it.

-- Rita

There was a club/steakhouse in Chicago called The London House that regularly offered this type of music. It was great and I am glad I had a chance to go there before it closed. It was on Wacker Drive (right on the Chicago River).

I'm seeing a lounge not a restaurant but I would like those Tyner pieces anywhere.

Very nice tunes Al... I see a faster tempo when people arrive to have drinks, then during their meal a slower tempo. As the night goes on, a faster tempo progression would be nice I think.

I wouldn't notice that kind of music.

Nice to hear from you...

I like it very much. It is just a little bit 'out there', not really much. But I can appreciate music that makes others run for the doors! Who can't appreciate a good Gamelon Orchestra?

Historical Balinese Gamelan Clips - YouTube

But depending on your audience, there might be a few people who could think some of those notes are 'out of tune', or that you are playing the 'wrong' notes once in a while. It isn't much of a risk, but a possibility.

You just have to guess at just how 'safe' you need to be for your audience.

-ERD50

I like the first one a lot. The second one sounds nice but it's way too fast for a restaurant IMO. So I'm answering "Somewhere in between" but I'd love to have the first one in the background while dining.

Absolutely, I would want to hear this type of music in a restaurant (especially music like the first selection). It's pleasant, and you mentioned that it would not be loud or intrusive. Sounds like wonderful music by which to enjoy a good meal.

We used to go to a restaurant occasionally that featured live music of this type. It also had beautiful views right on St. Charles Ave. Unfortunately it closed, but not because of the music, I'm sure. The music added a lot.

Add some Jobim & Gilberto & I'd be going there to listen as much as to eat.

Al,
Looks like I'm your only "no" vote so far, but that shouldn't carry much weight. Folks who go to a restaurant expecting to hear jazz would probably like these tunes, I'd certainly prefer them to a lot of other music in the jazz category.
I'm just not a fan of most "newer" jazz (i.e. newer than ragtime, Dixieland, swing, etc). I suspect I'm in the minority.

Absolutely delightful!
I love them, and would be a regular at a reasonably priced restaurant that featured such live music.

I like the first one a lot. The second one sounds nice but it's way too fast for a restaurant IMO. So I'm answering "Somewhere in between" but I'd love to have the first one in the background while dining.

+1

OK, thanks. I'm really surprised -- I really expected many of you to think it's too wild. I sometimes think that kind of playing is too out there. I remember a woman coming up to me at a nursing home, and saying "I liked it, but why do you have to add in all that jazz stuff?"

Anyway, that's good to know, and we'll be adding some tunes like this to our set list. It's interesting because it's really just a simple formula for getting this sound, and once you have it "in your fingers" you good to go.

And now I have time for this, since I'm not on the forum so much. ;)

Very nice tunes Al... I see a faster tempo when people arrive to have drinks, then during their meal a slower tempo. As the night goes on, a faster tempo progression would be nice I think.

+1
I like both. Nice to get some jazz to listen to. One of the benefits of ER.org.

Thanks Al

Back
Top Bottom