Do you think that the folks that followed Hitler were truly unique human beings?

Re: Do you think that the folks that followed Hitler were truly unique human bei

SteveR said:
...seems to be a lot of $$ for buying a few Books of Morman every time a new Marriott opens. :D

Funny you mention that. I just got back from vacation. While staying in the Marriott, I happened to spend a half hour or so flipping through the Book of Mormon and reading the background/history section. Interesting reading...

Re: Do you think that the folks that followed Hitler were truly unique human bei

Cool Dood said:
What intolerance are you talking about?

Sigh, this is probably a mistake but...."so many have died when the whole basis is some made-up little gods and other pointless delusions."

So you don't think it's possible this might be viewed as intolerant? This board goes on a faith-bashing fit about once every six months, I make a remark, I get told I'm out of line, rinse and repeat.

Have we had a religion poll? Too incendiary?? Maybe urge "no comments"?

Check out the top ten threads, I think a religous thread is still in the top 3 of all time. The board is pretty agnostic/anti-religious, I should have learned my lesson by now to avoid the subject, but I guess I'm into abuse. ;)

Laurence said:
I should have learned my lesson by now to avoid the subject, but I guess I'm into abuse. ;)

Giving or receiving? ::)

Laurence said:
Sigh, this is probably a mistake but...."so many have died when the whole basis is some made-up little gods and other pointless delusions."

So you don't think it's possible this might be viewed as intolerant? This board goes on a faith-bashing fit about once every six months, I make a remark, I get told I'm out of line, rinse and repeat.

What the hell -- we've already covered the most controversial nonsense, I might as well keep digging while we're behind ;)

In short, no, I don't think it's intolerant -- people are free to believe what they want and to say what they want, and I'm free to believe that some of their beliefs are based in nonsense, and express my view. I'm perfectly fine with other people holding silly beliefs -- I know I hold a bunch myself -- but I'm also allowed to criticize. I'm not trying to shut anyone up, I'm not threatening to sue, I'm not pushing for laws to compel people to drop those beliefs -- I tolerate them perfectly. For what it's worth, religion has driven people to do all those things, and a lot more intolerant stuff... not that it would excuse intolerance on my part, but it does make claims of "atheist persecution" seem a bit far-fetched, when the only thing close to the truth is basically the exact opposite of atheist intolerance.

If I see what I consider a silly and dangerous delusion, I think it's fine to point it out. If I saw some guy with a head full of LSD, claiming that he can fly and about to walk off a building, that seems like a good time to try to stop the delusions. And druggies have never gone on crusades or attempted genocide -- they're mostly just a risk to themselves.

I can see how it might upset someone to hear me making fun of religion, and I guess it was a bit of pointless Internet wankery, but I think it's a far cry from intolerance. Let me know if you disagree! :)

I wouldn't characterize the board as having a typical point of view. Well, I do sometimes, like I think the board generally likes index funds and passive investing, yet the FIRE board is full of talk about where to move your money today.

At times the board has seemed to lean left, and at times the board leans right. Well, more that it depends on who's around and feels like jumping in. Sometimes the religious folk have the run of the place, and sometimes the agnostics and atheists beat more drums.

I think every point of view has felt in the minority and downtrodden at some time or another, you pathetic bible thumper. ( :D :D :D on that last bit)

BTW, in answer to the subject line of the OP, I've always assumed that if another human has done it, then somehow in some circumstance it's possible I would do that myself. I hope that's not true, or at least I hope I never find out.

(cross-posting w/Laurence)

I have nothing against any religion or people that have faith in something else.  I just don't like people trying to push it down my throat at my door while I'm busy brewing, or people blowing themselves up in the name of "God".  

I just find so many "religous" leaders from around the globe to be hypocrites.  Think "Elmer Gantry", Jerry Falwell, or the Bakers, etc.

Now, shall we return to Emacs vs. VI war  :LOL:

Papi said:
Now, shall we return to Emacs vs. VI war :LOL:

Actually, I like gedit ;)

Dude, no way am I getting any deeper in this again!  

For the record, I was a critic of religion/agnostic, now I'm a Christian, some of my closest friends (including the best man at my wedding) are atheist/agnostic, all the way to fundamentalists who think I'm going to burn because I don't interpret the Bible literally.  We all seem to get along fine.  But I often hear statements on line, at parties, at work, etc. that if you sustituted the word "Christian" with Black, Mexican, etc. would get someone tossed from the room for being a bigot.  I think comparing people of faith to drug users is a bit harsh.  You don't get your license suspended for driving home from church.  

Nonetheless, I vehemently support your right to express yourself as you see fit.  :)

As an informative side note, this shows that a Bush-loving war-monger can be an ardent atheist, and a Bush-hating liberal can get upset at mockery of religion. The world is not black and white, no matter which "side" you're on.....

And that's why I wish we weren't stuck in molds. Who's the liberal, though? I'm a McCain fan! :D

Laurence said:
And that's why I wish we weren't stuck in molds. Who's the liberal, though? I'm a McCain fan! :D

Shirley? I thought you said you were Christian, not one of them metaphysical types.

(Edit: Oh, McCain, not MacLaine)

Laurence said:
Dude, no way am I getting any deeper in this again!

For the record, I was a critic of religion/agnostic, now I'm a Christian, some of my closest friends (including the best man at my wedding) are atheist/agnostic, all the way to fundamentalists who think I'm going to burn because I don't interpret the Bible literally. We all seem to get along fine.

Yeah, same here, and I figure that in real life most fairly normal people get along just fine and don't really care whether their friends and neighbors believe in Jesus, or magic dust-sprinkling invisible fairies, or nothing at all.

I think comparing people of faith to drug users is a bit harsh.

I don't know about that -- at least drugs exist..... oh, sh*t, don't get started again, don't get started again! ;)

Nonetheless, I vehemently support your right to express yourself as you see fit. :)

Great! Then we agree on something, and it's enough not to worry about this stuff.

P.S. Oops! Sorry about calling you a liberal... I wasn't sure what to put there, I was going to add question marks... but, oh well, can't bat 1.000 :)

The "atheists/Jews/urban hipsters are denying us Christmas!" crowd remind me of the "Jews are murdering our Lord in the form of a wafer" crowd--they scare me.

I'm a secular humanist--except when my daughter is working in Africa. Then I carry a gold angel charm and meditate, ask God if he's listening and would he mind looking out for her, and ask Shiva (though my dancing Shiva statue) for further assistance. Now that I've added flute-playing Krishna and smiling Ganesh statues since traveling to India, I will most likely see if they grant favors to supplicants as well. But the way, I love Jesus--the philosopher.

When religion is practiced in public instead of in private, I fear it will spill over into spectacle (let's all watch this heart being cut out for our benefit!), a mob scene (let's tear those heretics limb from limb!), or at least rabid sports fans...or American Idol worshipers.

My parents are ardent liberals, and they are my heros, I'm not insulted by the label, I just can't honestly wear it.

I don't want a mixing of religion and state/politics. That's exactly when things get ugly.

As far as drugs go, I left those behind in college!

HFWR said:
I'm agnostic... Gesundheit... :p

I don't think anyone has the answer...

I do... and I'm selling it for only $5.99, plus shipping and handling.

Hmm, emacs vs. Hitler.

Choice seems pretty clear-cut to me.

Bpp

I'm entering this rather late and also against my better judgement but here goes.

If tommorow I decide to kill 50 people and then say that I'm doing it because they weren't Christian and they deserved it, are the 50 murdered people chalked up to "death caused by religion"? My guess is that a lot people would categorize this as such. Therein lies the problem. I think the vast majority of Christians would agree that this would be not be a very Christian thing to do.

Religion is often used by people to justify horrific acts, but that does not mean that those horrific acts are sanctioned by the religion.

war is a means to get power. power is a means to satisfy greed. greed arises from fear and fear has its basis in survival which arises from existance.

that we exist, that we require food, that we gather enough, that we assure survival, that we war.

it's about 200,000 years since we were monkeys yet only a few hundred years between feudalism where we were flogged to personal web sites where we blog.

relatively speaking, we've come a long way in a short time. sort of like a rubberband that's been stretched forever then finally snapped.

A good point, I think we've come a long, long way in the right direction in the last half Millenia. Those that see the world going to hell in a handbasket are just taking too narrow a view, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom