Dog Neutering?

Really don't like using the cone----- you can get an inflatable donut for around the neck.

While I am fully on board with neutering, there are many studies that suggest allowing the testes to mature on males will provide better hormone levels for bone building etc. Similar with females going through 1 cycle.

We waited until 18 months on our Old English per our purchase agreement and the possibility of going to show. Most every other male has been approx. 12 months and the girls around 6-8 months. Been the pattern even back to the 1970s dogs.

Jim, is right about the growth issues. We now wait until they are a year old to do it. My little boy Maltese was marking a lot and I wanted to kill him.

DW TNRs (trap, neuter, return) cats in the metroplex. She goes into to a rage when she finds well-meaning people feeding ferals who have litter after litter. The average lifespan of a feral is 3-5 years and a tough life it is. Always hungry, sometimes sick or hit by a car. So, please adopt one from the animal shelter if you want a cat and get it spayed/neutered. Same goes for dogs.

We just had a 12 year old border collie neutered! Now that was not the original purpose of the surgery. He had a perineal hernia. The Vet said that many older male doge that have not been neutered develop one and it is why he advises his clients to have their dogs fixed. He neutered the dog and fixed the hernia in one surgery.

Here is a pic of my little buddy:

Attachments

• IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 26
Another benefit is the reduction in possibility of prostate among other issues.
Neutering your male dog or cat prevents testicular tumors and may prevent prostate problems. Neutering also decreases the possibility of perianal tumors and hernias, which are commonly observed in older, unaltered dogs. Because neutered cats are less likely to roam, the threat of abscesses caused by bites and diseases transmitted by fighting are greatly reduced.
https://www.brown.edu/Research/Colwill_Lab/CBP/spaynueter.htm

Those wide open eyes are saying, "You started a thread about WHAT:confused:"

LOL, he is always very sweet and bright eyed which makes me feel loved, although he might not be too happy with me after the surgery.

LOL, he is always very sweet and bright eyed which makes me feel loved, although he might not be too happy with me after the surgery.
That'll last 10 minutes. Koda was so happy to leave ARF that he jumped into my lap. He sees me as his 'protector.' FWIW if you think it'll stop him from marking or humping, you're mistaken. It just stops too many pups

My dog stopped humping once fixed and the marking decreased a good deal.

At 18 months, I think you waited too long to make any effect on marking and humping.

I'd say if the dog already humps and/or marks, it's too late. Even aggressiveness, if displayed, won't be reduced much if at all.

My friend fixed hers at 3 and while it didn’t all go away it decreased considerably. It is certainly better for the dog to be fixed. Mine was 11 months and the difference was huge. In the future I would do it sooner.

Back
Top Bottom