Dogs

I once saw a you lady with a dog, I went up and started talking to the dog. She ask my why I would talk to a dog, they don't know English and can't speak. I ask her if she ever talked to the dog she said no. Poor dog.:(

I have often wondered if people who live alone without pets talk to themselves. I talk to my dog all the time even though he is deaf.

We talk to the dog all the time. When I take the dog for a walk, I probably have 10 or twelve "conversations" with her. Am I crazy?:D :facepalm:

OP update here.

We got Teddy R. home as scheduled. He's been to the vet for a routine checkup and microchip. Healthy dog. He'll be on a leash for a while til he learns our boundary and even then he'll be supervised.

He's a great house dog, no trouble at all. Sits in my chair but I wanted to try a different one anyway. He's a good listener, we agree on everything.

Sleeps all night and doesn't bark. I think we won the used dog lottery!

My in laws, age 89 and 90 have not had a dog in the 40 or so years that I have known them. They did have a dog when my wife was a child. When we take our dog for a visit, they get so much enjoyment from of having a dog to take care that is is fun for us just to watch them. We have considered getting a dog for them, but have not done so because we are concerned about adding tripping hazard.

Our dog is a rescue, and in addition to the pleasure of her companionship and affection, we get some satisfaction from knowing that we have provided a good home for a needy animal.

Congratulations, I hope that bringing a dog into your life is as good a decision for you as it has been for us.

My husband and I love having a dog in our lives. Like many of you we travel quite a bit so decided years ago to care for other peoples dogs for our canine fix. It’s been 13 years now [MOD EDIT], meeting dog-loving couples and families, and enjoying the company of very sweet pups without the responsibilities of ownership.

Last edited by a moderator:
I once saw a you lady with a dog, I went up and started talking to the dog. She ask my why I would talk to a dog, they don't know English and can't speak. I ask her if she ever talked to the dog she said no. Poor dog.:(
My dog may not speak English but she certainly understands it

Do you want to go Potty She jumps 5 feet in the air and spins in circles at the door
Do you want a biscuit? She sits and looks adorable.
Do you want to go to the park Races around the house yipping in excitement
It's Bedtime She lays down, rolls over and goes stiff so I can't pick her up or move her
without a struggle. She doesn't hate the crate, it's seeded with snacks but
she does want to register her dissatisfaction. She does not like to be left
alone.
Get off the couch Woof WOOF WOOF WOOF GRRRRRRR

I have often wondered if people who live alone without pets talk to themselves. I talk to my dog all the time even though he is deaf.
I talk to my dog all the time and she listens which is more than my kids do sometimes:LOL:

Helicopter ears when she's listening

Attachments

• IMG_20220219_093157920.jpg
    IMG_20220219_093157920.jpg
    609.6 KB · Views: 43
As I type there's two dogs sleeping at my feet after their long romp outdoors. I'm not too old to lay down to nap in a sunspot with them.

I will never be without a dog. They are definitely my boss:)).

A dog is a man’s best friend. I recently came across the origin of that saying. It was used in the closing argument by George Graham Vest, representing a man suing his neighbor for shooting his dog, Old Drum.

The best friend a man has in the world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us, may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads.

The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog. A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer. He will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings, and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

If fortune drives the master forth, an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him, to guard him against danger, to fight against his enemies. And when the last scene of all comes, and death takes his master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by the graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad, but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even in death.

George Graham Vest - c. 1855
I don’t disagree with any of this.

Here’s a pic of my lab on his first day home in Oct ‘21. And a pic from just a few days ago. Got a lot of energy but he’s been fun.

Attachments

• F9DD29C9-B3FB-4829-9DFD-038666E4207C.jpg
    F9DD29C9-B3FB-4829-9DFD-038666E4207C.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 45
  • BC5D1D2D-94A5-4D6F-8419-A344740321F4.jpg
    BC5D1D2D-94A5-4D6F-8419-A344740321F4.jpg
    796.2 KB · Views: 49
Put you dog and your wife/GF in the trunk and see who's happy when you let them out in an hour. Man's BEST FRIEND!:D

Put you dog and your wife/GF in the trunk and see who's happy when you let them out in an hour. Man's BEST FRIEND!:D
You made me laugh and fountain because my DF used to do that.

ETA: With the dog.

We got our two dogs from the kids when they divorced. They were just under 2 years old. One was friendly enough the other shied away anytime you came near. The two shiba inu sisters were always together. One day the shy one came over to where I was sitting and I reached over to pet her. Eventually I picked her up to my lap and petted her and she finally fell asleep in my lap. We have been very close ever since. They will be 15 this spring. Even though they are still active, I know their time is running short. It will be a tough day when one of them goes and I think the other will be gone soon after.

We took my youngest sister's dog to her for a visit, and then went to see my oldest sister. Her little dog Hawk always liked our Katie and they used to play endlessly. Now that she is blind, she is less likely to play but she got in a few good pokes and growls today.
PXL-20220219-223817925-2.jpg

“Dogs lives are too short, their only fault really.” Agnes Sligh Turnbull

Our dogs are a huge plus in our lives. Since I’ve retired, a daily 3 mile walk is one of my favorite times of the day - Doesn’t matter if it’s cold or windy or hot or rainy (although I draw the line at rain AND windy AND cold). No matter what, they are so happy to go and have such a good time checking everything out and it just makes my day.

IMG_0146.JPG

9 years ago we drove to Kansas to take my son’s 9 year old husky/shepherd mix. We were his 4th home and he had anxiety issues. 2 weeks later he fought a pit that was attacking me. He saved my life and I have no doubt would have fought to the death. He died at 13 and was my constant companion for the 6 years he was alive.

He was wonderful with my Maltese and we took them all on many vacations. I walked him every day and in summer took him to the river to swim. He was the smartest dog I ever had. I was allergic to him and needed my asthma rescue inhaler daily but he was worth it. I still miss him.

My in laws, age 89 and 90 have not had a dog in the 40 or so years that I have known them. They did have a dog when my wife was a child. When we take our dog for a visit, they get so much enjoyment from of having a dog to take care that is is fun for us just to watch them. We have considered getting a dog for them, but have not done so because we are concerned about adding tripping hazard.
Good decision, if the dog would have been a surprise!

My wife thought her single brother would appreciate a dog, so surprised him with one for his birthday. I can still see his face.
She became our dog, joining one we already had. Both are still with us 12yrs later.

I love dogs, but at this stage of my life going out in the rain/ice/snow/freezing cold 2-3X/day then cleaning up after them isn't worth it, along with coordinating their care when we're away more than 1/2 day.
It will only get harder as we age. I hope my wife agrees to not replace ours, and that we can enjoy dogs belonging to others.

Back
Top Bottom