Farewell to my FIL...

bbbamI

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My FIL died last Sunday.

He was in the last stage of Alzheimer's, other complications developed and his life slipped away. Relief washed over us as we did not want him to suffer any longer. In my mind there are things worse than death.

He is the only person I have ever known that has never said an unkind word to anyone. He was a man of integrity, humor and had respect for all. I was very fortunate to have this man in my life and love me.

I wish everyone could have someone like him in their life....if only for a few moments.

I'm so sorry, how is your spouse holding up? I bet he'd love to read your post. :)

So sorry to hear about your FIL. I recently lost a close friend who was institutionalized for 10 years with Alzheimer's, and understand your mixed emotions of sorrow and relief.
All the Best,
BWW

So sorry Bbam! It's never easy - sounds like he was well loved and loving...

stay strong.. he is in a better place.. and in your heart.

bbbam,
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. Both of my parents died when i was young, and my in-laws have treated me as one of their own. Great people, far kinder than I deserve.
I hope your fond memories of your FIL provide comfort for many years to come.

"Another good thing, has done gone on, done gone on..."

John Hartfort

Sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds like a huge loss to you and your spouse.

My FIL was the finest man I've ever known too. He died suddenly of a heart attack, as did my father. The sad part is both of them had enough warnings that should have allowed them to correct the problems. No one could get either of them to seek help. . MY mother had Alzheimer's I think, she refused to seek medical help. But her pancreas took her in the end which was a lot more painful. As they say, growing old is hard and no place for meek or timid souls. Then you die. I hope I can survive it all gracefully.

I hope you can find peace in the many memories you have of your FIL.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and sharing your experiences.

I'm so sorry, how is your spouse holding up? I bet he'd love to read your post. :)
He seems to be doing ok, but it's hard to tell. He's the type of person that rarely expresses his emotions. So, I stand back, try to remain quiet....and wait.

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Even when you know it's coming, that doesn't make it any easier.

bbbami - I am so sorry for your loss. I can understand the mixture of sorrow and relief he no longer has to suffer. I too was blessed with a wonderful FIL who passed away years ago. He was like a dad to me. Take care of your DH. Those who don't express their emotions often take longer to deal with tragic events like this. After you get through the funeral and settling all the details, I might suggest a pleasant distraction like a short trip somewhere. Nothing too stressfull, just some R&R in a different setting. Sometimes a change of scenery and time to reflect can help heal the soul.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. At least your FIL no longer is suffering, as you said.

condolences for bbbami & family. your ability to express such esteem for your fil must be of great comfort to your family.

i spoke to many and read much & even felt it myself at first how death brings some measure of relief from watching your loved one suffer alzheimer's, but no one warned me that afterwards i would forget about the trials of the disease and miss the departed so much that our suffering never mattered.

Back
Top Bottom