Have you had success with Internet purchases?

DAYDREAMER

Recycles dryer sheets
I've had such good success with internet purchases, it's been my first choice instead of going to Brick and Morter stores. The variety is endless, and can usually find things that are better than what is sold in the stores. Poor experiences have been when I purchased items from Brick and Morter stores on the internet, due to being very slow.

So far have not had issues with scams or fraud, and purchases have been honest transactions. I do use PayPal to hide credit card number from merchants.

Have you had the same success?

I hate going to a mall. I don't like shopping in general. My husband jokes that I am a defective female for this since I don't fit the stereotype of women who like to socialize with their gal pals shopping for clothes and shoes.

I've had tremendous success shopping online. I've converted DH to the power of this. We had to replace a sewage pump... local plumber wanted $950, we ordered it online, from the manufacturer, shipped, for $650.

What I can't buy at costco, target, sprouts (local produce chain), or the local goodwill... I buy online.

Same defect here...I hate malls, crowded stores, mostly because of people's (of all ages) behavior. Mr B does all of the shopping for us in return for him not having to help clean the house. My WIN for sure on that deal. ;)

I am the Amazon Queen. I use smile.amazon for the charitable contribution aspect.

I do have some other vendors I use online, definitely paid through paypal. Occasional purchases are made through eBay, some nationally recognized garden and household supply places, and JC Penny.

I never use my credit card if the vendor is unfamiliar.

I'm an Amazon Prime junkie.

Sometimes I shop on ebay to look for a better deal or more unique items.

This year, however, Amazon is collecting sales tax at the state I'm in so maybe I'll just be a partial Prime junkie :LOL:.

another "amazon First" person here; started using it in '96 when we lived in an area without good bookstores. Sales tax didn't change anything for me. The price is close enough and the convenience rules. So too, we spend a lot of money on purchasing cases of wine online (through two vendors). Many small production and older vintages simply aren't available otherwise.

Never had problem with credit card online, and I freely use it.

BTW, anyone else using "Price Jump," which rests on my browser and price checks amazon's quote for me? Occasionally it will alert me to a big discount elsewhere (not including ebay). Worthwhile tool.

No issues for me. Some things I prefer to buy in person, like clothes, but since that isn't very often and I can pick a low-traffic time it isn't an issue. But the last two pair of sneakers I bought via Amazon so perhaps I'm shifting too. And I just bought a photo printer ink cartridge this morning via Amazon.

Like rodi and freebird5825 I don't like malls (unless they're almost deserted, like in a Twilight Zone episode, then they're okay) and given the choice more and more often I'll shop online.

I haven't heard of "Price Jump." But do like on Amazon when checking the Wish List and that shows the price went down by so much percent since I added the item to the list.

BTW, anyone else using "Price Jump," which rests on my browser and price checks amazon's quote for me? Occasionally it will alert me to a big discount elsewhere (not including ebay). Worthwhile tool.
No, but I do use The Camelizer, which gives a price history of Amazon items and allows you to set a price alert, notifying you when Amazon drops the price on an item you are watching.

Another Amazon prime junkie here. When I lived in my home town of 1500 people it was the easiest way to buy things. The alternative was a 150 mile round trip to a city of 30,000 people and the choice of items there was not great.

I'm holding off. I'm pretty sure that this whole internet thing is a fad like CB radio.

I've had such good success with internet purchases, it's been my first choice instead of going to Brick and Morter stores. The variety is endless, and can usually find things that are better than what is sold in the stores. Poor experiences have been when I purchased items from Brick and Morter stores on the internet, due to being very slow.

So far have not had issues with scams or fraud, and purchases have been honest transactions. I do use PayPal to hide credit card number from merchants.

Have you had the same success?

Heck yeah! It's our first move when we decide to buy something non-perishable. We still will go to a hardware store for something last minute.

I bought my first computer off the internet. Windows 95 IIRC.

If interested, here is a CNN Money article on it from last July: Amazon isn't always cheapest. PriceJump is the best way to find out - Jul. 15, 2014

Once you pass the stupidity of the headline, the article is interesting.

Pretty cool. I just installed it, and on the first few tries, Amazon was cheapest (I will check on many purchases, I occasionally will find it cheaper at some other reputable place, but not often, after considering 3% Visa rewards on the Amazon card).

But... PriceJump doesn't factor in shipping costs, so the $7 with $5 shipping shows as cheaper than $10 with shipping included. Still worthwhile to check though.

edit/add: OK, I just went through about 20 items, and I'm wondering if PriceJump isn't owned by Amazon ;) There was only one legitimate cheaper item (ignoring a few pennies delta), and not by much: $28.28 after shipping versus $30.12 on Amazon with shipping included, and my 3% on Amazon narrows that, though if the other place accepts my 2% AMEX, that's a tiny delta.

Bottom line, could be worth checking to be sure, but Amazon is looking very good to me.

-ERD50

Last edited:
A big break for us was discovering bhphotovideo in the late 90s. All of a sudden top of the line camera equipment was much more affordable. And these days we often order commuters and printers from them. They work hard to meet or beat Amazon's pricing.

I hate going to a mall. I don't like shopping in general. My husband jokes that I am a defective female for this since I don't fit the stereotype of women who like to socialize with their gal pals shopping for clothes and shoes.

Same here. When I do go to a Brick and Mortar, I go alone, whip thru the store and leave if something doesn't catch my eye fairly quickly. The only person I will shop with is with and for my daughter and granddaughter. Often my daughter will send me links for things she likes. Bought all of her Christmas presents this way.

If whatever I'm buying isn't readily available from an easily accessible local store, I'll buy off the Internet.

If whatever I'm buying isn't readily available from an easily accessible local store, I'll buy off the Internet.

For me, it's more like:

If whatever I'm buying isn't readily available off the Internet, I'll buy from a local store.

-ERD50

What is this thing called "Inter-nets"? Where are all the nets?

Seriously, one aspect of internet shopping that has been enormously helpful has been buying necessities for someone else who does not live nearby and cannot shop for herself.

I'm holding off. I'm pretty sure that this whole internet thing is a fad like CB radio.

Nah, it's not a passing fad.:nonono:
I don't think Brian Williams would have invented it if it didn't have sustainability.

I don't really buy a lot of things, except for food and the occasional hobby purchase. Although I could have most of the food for me and my cats delivered, I enjoy going to the local Trader Joe's and the pet store, mixing with the locals, and getting a workout on my bicycle.

The only other things I buy on a fairly regular basis (apart from the occasional pack of toilet roll and tube of toothpaste) are vintage parts for my hobby of building radios. Pretty much the only viable regular sources are the online ones, and nearly all the vintage parts I buy online are top quality. I don't buy something unless there are good quality photos clearly showing the condition.

Ah, the Internets of us all.

As mentioned, purchasing for others and having it shipped is very convenient. Regular items are a click away.

I purchased a computer for a client yesterday. He gave me the cc details, I selected the system and emailed a link. HE approved, and I did the rest. He'll get email notifications for status, and will know what day the computer will be delivered to his office.

We usually purchase through the big companies, like Amazon, Dell, Staples, etc. Any problems are handled very quickly through customer support.

Seriously, one aspect of internet shopping that has been enormously helpful has been buying necessities for someone else who does not live nearby and cannot shop for herself.

Yes, it's been really nice to buy something on-line, and have it shipped directly to my Mom, or the kids at school.

-ERD50

Yes, we've been buying online for 15 years, mostly online these days, and yet to have any issues - knock on wood.

Unless we're buying something perishable or something that MUST be tried on (e.g. shoes, but not clothes IME) - we're far more likely to buy online. Brick-n-mortar stores are far less efficient (more time, less inventory, crowds, driving/parking) for most things to me.

Tangent observation on online buying: I suspect we're more brand/store loyal than ever before as a result. :wiseone:In the old days when we bought exclusively from brick-n-mortar stores, we were probably more likely to look at unfamiliar brands/stores because we could assess the quality first hand. Now since we're buying with little more than a picture & brief description, we're much less likely to try new stuff - so we stick with brands/stores we already have good experiences with. I only buy one brand of running shoes, most of my clothes come from Lands End, LL Bean or REI, and my boating gear comes from a narrow group of brands - just examples.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom