Jury Duty

On a related note, because Tx uses drivers licenses to summon jurors (not voter registration because it does not give a representative pool), and because the vital records department does not tell the drivers license folks that a person has died, my father got called for jury duty 6 years after his death. I called the courthouse and told them that a secance might be possible, but the judge would likley object. They apologized and removed his name from the pool. (Since then his drivers license expired so there is no more issue). Apparently also because they use drivers licenses a lot of legal aliens get called, and get automatic excuses, as well as folks who have moved outside the jurisdiction in question.

I volunteered as an English-language tutor for immigrants for several years. The organization which arranges the tutor-immigrant pairings doesn't ask for documents from the immigrants. I had one student who I assumed was in the US illegally. One day she brought in a summons for jury duty she had received. I asked her if she was a US citizen. She said yes, and then proceeded to explain to me (in Spanish) the convoluted tale about how she had come to the country legally many years earlier.

She worked and lived in the US almost entirely in a Spanish-speaking world for years, and there was no way that she could be a competent juror with her poor English-language ability. I called up the county court system on her behalf and attempted to explain why she could not be a competent juror. They quite reasonably assumed she was just another person who was trying to get out of jury duty. I explained that I was just a volunteer tutor who had no dog in the fight, and I gave them the name and phone number of the non-profit organization which arranged for the tutoring. I explained that they had evaluated the student and could verify her poor English ability. The court clerk relented and exempted the woman from reporting for jury duty.

I've been called three times, but never picked. The first time was the Federal Grand Jury in Pensacola. I hoped to get picked for that one. It sat once a month for a year. They paid for mileage, hotel and your time.

The District Judge here is on our board. When my boss got called, the DA asked her if there was any reason she couldn't serve. She said, "-------," calling the Judge by his first name, "I mean the Judge, is kind of my boss. He serves on our board and I have known him all my life."
The DA said, "You have known all of us up here all our lives. If you don't think it will cause you to be bias, it's alright with me if you serve."
She was picked.

Last edited:
I'm on the frequent juror list - get called about every 15 months. The one day/one trial is kind of a misnomer - if you go for voir dire (questioning to be part of the jury) and get held over to the 2nd day of voir dire - you still are on the frequent list. (One year till they can call you again.)

If you get selected for a trial - you are off the hook for 3 years.

I've only served on one trial. But I've sat in the waiting room and/or done voir dire at least a dozen times. I guess lawyers don't like me. LOL.

I find the process interesting. I was on the other side of it once (charged with a crime, acquitted by the jury, had a judge enter a verdict of "factual innocence".) I am a big believer in the jury system.

1. I need the money.

If I missed the sarcasm, forgive me, but how much do you get paid by the day for jury duty in your neck of the woods?

We get $7.50 a day, which doesn't cover parking. :(

I think the prosecutors automatically reject anybody with a beard from a drug trial. I've been called twice, but they rejected me without even asking a question. I could understand it the first time since I was wearing a Grateful Dead t-shirt under my white shirt and tie. But the second time (many years later, and a different jurisdiction) I was looking as straight as I could, and they still dumped me without a question. Beardism is discrimination!

I am actually looking forward to my jury call this Thursday. It's in a justice of the peace court, the lowest level of court in Texas. They hear traffic cases, small claims disputes and low-level misdemeanors punishable by fines only. Could be entertaining.

I think the prosecutors automatically reject anybody with a beard from a drug trial. I've been called twice, but they rejected me without even asking a question. I could understand it the first time since I was wearing a Grateful Dead t-shirt under my white shirt and tie. But the second time (many years later, and a different jurisdiction) I was looking as straight as I could, and they still dumped me without a question. Beardism is discrimination!
It's properly called beardophobia, a somewhat more egregious level of discrimination.

Ha

If I missed the sarcasm, forgive me, but how much do you get paid by the day for jury duty in your neck of the woods?

We get $7.50 a day, which doesn't cover parking. :(

I assume they were referring to hanging around the courthouse while still being paid by their employer??

If my beard would bring on discrimination I wonder if riding to court on my motorcycle dressed in old school black leather jacket and chaps would also count against me to be chosen for jury duty.

Actually I wouldn't mind being chosen again even though the last time was a waste of taxpayers money and my time. The thief pleaded not guilty and we sat around in court for two days before he finally admited guilt just as the trial was beginning.

Cheers!

I am actually looking forward to my jury call this Thursday. It's in a justice of the peace court, the lowest level of court in Texas. They hear traffic cases, small claims disputes and low-level misdemeanors punishable by fines only. Could be entertaining.

This is the court which first heard the 2003 Lawrence v. Texas landmark case a few years earlier, before it worked its way up through the state courts and to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Maybe the next big SCOTUS case will originate there, too?

Maybe the next big SCOTUS case will originate there, too?

Anything is possible, I guess, but I'm just hoping for a juicy bad check story or a chance to thoughtfully deliberate reasonable doubt on PI or disturbing the peace.;)

This particular JP has been on the bench since 1974. I'm thinking the courtroom atmosphere will have much more in common with Judge Wapner than Chief Justice Roberts.

I've been called 7 or 8 times in the past 15 years or so. Just sat around and was never picked. I don't know why so many of the same people are called over and over. I think the pool of victims, (selectees), is much smaller than the general population since many people do not qualify. The Federal jury pools are the worst. I have to drive 100 miles one way after answering a forced mail in question pool of questions like, "what kind of bumper stickers do you have on your car?".

I hope I don't ever get selected anymore. I am fed up with that. If I want to be bored, I will do it on my time. I am not a retiree, yet. My time will be even more valuable after I retire since there's so many other things I will be doing on my time. And I certainly do not need the money. I do not want to be forced to sit on a panel and be fed a bunch of "facts", without being able to to ask my own questions about the case on both sides. What the lawyers are supposed to do and often don't. I could also see the need to be worried about my own safety after the trial is over. Sorry for the negativity...but that's the way I feel.

The Federal jury pools are the worst. I have to drive 100 miles one way after answering a forced mail in question pool of questions like, "what kind of bumper stickers do you have on your car?".

They actually ask you that? I wonder what it would take to disqualify you? Grateful Dead? Coexist? NRA? Or maybe my current favorite - "If I passed you on the right, you're in the wrong lane." I had to buy that one when I moved to Maryland.

I do not want to be forced to sit on a panel and be fed a bunch of "facts", without being able to to ask my own questions about the case on both sides. What the lawyers are supposed to do and often don't. I could also see the need to be worried about my own safety after the trial is over. Sorry for the negativity...but that's the way I feel.

Dave, one of my friends was on a Grand Jury for a murder case. In the Grand Jury, you do get to ask questions. Or at least you do here.

If you liked the comedy "Becker", one of the funniest episodes revolved around jury duty:

There is a lot of sitting around twiddling your thumbs, but in most cases that's not the fault of the court system.

As it was explained to me, a large number of cases are settled, one way or another, shortly before the trial is set to begin. Each side is playing chicken with the other, knowing full well that one side definitely doesn't want a jury trial. Finally, at the last minute, that side blinks, settles out of court, and the jury never has to appear. They were just being held in reserve, to call one side's bluff.

There is a lot of sitting around twiddling your thumbs, but in most cases that's not the fault of the court system.

As it was explained to me, a large number of cases are settled, one way or another, shortly before the trial is set to begin. Each side is playing chicken with the other, knowing full well that one side definitely doesn't want a jury trial. Finally, at the last minute, that side blinks, settles out of court, and the jury never has to appear. They were just being held in reserve, to call one side's bluff.

This happened with the drunk-driving case during jury selection back in 1996. One afternoon, jury selection began and it took about an hour to go through most of the 30 people brought into the courtroom. I was among the group in the jury box after answering a bunch of generic questions and before the lawyers had their chance to question us individually.

But the next morning, after some delay, we were brought to the courtroom only to be told the DA and the defendant had agreed to a plea bargain. The judge told us that the mere process of beginning jury selection can pressure one or both sides to make a deal to avoid a trial. It can be anything from one or both sides getting jitters about their chances to win, to each side being able to see how competent the other side is, to seeing the jurors they have to choose from at that moment, any or all of which can pressure a plea bargain.

They actually ask you that? I wonder what it would take to disqualify you? Grateful Dead? Coexist? NRA? Or maybe my current favorite - "If I passed you on the right, you're in the wrong lane." I had to buy that one when I moved to Maryland.

====================================
Yes, about 70 questions. Very involved personal questions you have to answer by order of the law. In many ways more personal than those long form census questionaires. Religious affiliations, what kind of work you do, how much you make, guns, etc. I know the lawyers go through the stack and do their profiling before calling you up in front of the group to ask you more questions, (if you make their cut the first time). What scares me about all this is what happens to the data when it is done? And I thought Facebook and the NSA was bad...

Dave, one of my friends was on a Grand Jury for a murder case. In the Grand Jury, you do get to ask questions. Or at least you do here.

=======================================
Now that sounds like the way things should be done and the jury can really participate instead of being bumps on a log.

And HELLO Larro it's nice seeing you over here!...we are both members from another forum you guys...Tractor By Net.

Last edited:
The county grand jury I served on was very informal. You could ask all the questions and make all ther commments you wanted.

The sheriff, the police chiefs of the incorporated towns, the state highway patrol, the officials from the state prison in the county, the officials from the state mental hospital in the county and DWFP (Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks) all presented their cases and would answer any questions and listen to any comments. There were dozens of cases. Most were cut and dried, but a few required serious discussion and debate.

The grand jury would decide and vote on whether to charge any individual and what charge(s). The district attorney representative would explain the charges and the law.

Last edited:

I am thinking that any bumper sticker would disqualify you.

If you want to be sure of getting out of serving, tell em your sticker says:
"Horn broken, watch for finger".

I always get dismissed when they find out I am an engineer. Thank you for your time Mr. Free to Canoe. Damn.

I finally did get on a trial once. It was a civil trial with a jury. One persons dog bit another dog. The defense must have rejected a hundred potentials. Boy was the judge getting pissed. That took all morning. After lunch, I discovered I was on a jury with mostly engineers! I could go on. Most everyone wanted to find everyone guilty, both victim and defendant. In the end, they even sent me a frameable certificate of thanks.

Around here, you have to know someone to get on the coveted jury duty.

This is essentially how Thursday went for me at JP Court.

There were about 35 jurors-to-be. The site was the the smallest courthouse building I have ever seen. The tiny lobby had only about 20 seats, so several of us stood up or sat on the stairs leading to a second floor. Available personal space was roughly equivalent to a bus ride.

While we waited in the lobby, the court was running through the docket for the day. Folks were tip-toeing their way through the crowd to reach the courtroom door. Most came back into the lobby with their wallets ready and looking forlorn, picking their way through the crowd to the clerk's window.

After 90 minutes of waiting we were called into the courtroom. There were only enough seats in the courtroom after the judge waved the last few jurors up past the bar to sit in the jury box and at the (empty) defense table.

The judge told us we were not going to be needed. He, a young prosecutor and a defense attorney working the last case of the morning each thanked us for showing up. The prosecutor's speech sounded very much like braumeister's post.

One interesting thing the defense lawyer said: at the start of the day in this low level court, the court and the prosecution have essentially no factual information on the cases to be heard. In higher level misdemeanor cases a prosecutor has accepted the charges filed by the police. For a felony case, the charges will have been true-billed by a grand jury. But for a traffic ticket or Class C misdemeanor, only the officer and the defendant know anything about the case. Whether a jury trial might be requested is only known after the case is called and the defendant approaches the bench to speak to the judge.

Some days may have 4 or more jury trials. Other days - like yesterday - have none.

The judge said we must have been an intimidating group, sitting elbow-to-elbow out in that tiny lobby.

This is essentially how Thursday went for me at JP Court.

There were about 35 jurors-to-be. The site was the the smallest courthouse building I have ever seen. The tiny lobby had only about 20 seats, so several of us stood up or sat on the stairs leading to a second floor. Available personal space was roughly equivalent to a bus ride.

While we waited in the lobby, the court was running through the docket for the day. Folks were tip-toeing their way through the crowd to reach the courtroom door. Most came back into the lobby with their wallets ready and looking forlorn, picking their way through the crowd to the clerk's window.

After 90 minutes of waiting we were called into the courtroom. There were only enough seats in the courtroom after the judge waved the last few jurors up past the bar to sit in the jury box and at the (empty) defense table.

The judge told us we were not going to be needed. He, a young prosecutor and a defense attorney working the last case of the morning each thanked us for showing up. The prosecutor's speech sounded very much like braumeister's post.

One interesting thing the defense lawyer said: at the start of the day in this low level court, the court and the prosecution have essentially no factual information on the cases to be heard. In higher level misdemeanor cases a prosecutor has accepted the charges filed by the police. For a felony case, the charges will have been true-billed by a grand jury. But for a traffic ticket or Class C misdemeanor, only the officer and the defendant know anything about the case. Whether a jury trial might be requested is only known after the case is called and the defendant approaches the bench to speak to the judge.

Some days may have 4 or more jury trials. Other days - like yesterday - have none.

The judge said we must have been an intimidating group, sitting elbow-to-elbow out in that tiny lobby.

Back
Top Bottom