Methods to Persuade Geese to Leave?

I have seen people use wooden faux foxes that they stake in the yard. They also make this sort of flashy ribbon you can put up to scare them away although it doesnt seem to scare all of them. We have lots of geese where I live. I have seen some walk straight into traffic and get hit by cars almost as of committing suicide and then a few of the alphas get aggressive and start half flying and attacking the cars in traffic. Good luck.

I just read a story about a guy who bought a trained border collie to handle the goose problem on the golf course where he worked. It worked so well, he started getting calls from other local golf course. Another dog was purchased and before long the dogs were making more money than he was at his job. He turned this into a business then started franchising.

It appears to be a growing business. Maybe there is a franchise in your area should the problem return.

https://geesepoliceinc.com

I’ve had goose and enjoyed it. Need a big oven and some cooking skills, but anyone who can cook a large turkey could give it a go.

Swans will also keep the geese away.

Swans won't keep them too far away. We used to live in a condo that overlooked the Mystic River and in the wintertime, a flock of swans and a flock of Canadian geese claimed their respective ends of the open water like a couple of street gangs protecting their turf. Amazingly enough they all stayed for the whole New England winter.

Plus swan poop is no better than goose poop.

I remember taking a business trip to Bose Corp. a long time ago. Their HQ is on top of a local hill, and their mailing address was simply "The Mountain, Framingham MA".

Well, their very large parking lot was right on the flyway for a Canada goose population, and the birds thought it was a marvelous place to rest. Before our trip, we had been warned to be careful getting out of our rental car, and the warning was a good one because it was apparently migration season during our visit.

We had to watch every step very carefully between car and building, because one false step and you would be down in a sloppy mess of goose poop. The employees hated it, but said nothing could be done about it for various reasons.

My win-win solution is to "harvest" the geese. Use the meat to feed the hungry, use the feathers to make pricey down pillows, give the proceeds to charity.
Alas it's illegal to "harvest" Canadian geese.

In our area, there is a service that shows up regularly with 1 or 2 border collies. Another uses Shelties. From what I understand you hire them to show up for daily visits over a period of time. This service winds down as the number of geese eventually dwindle and finally move on. Find out if this service is available in your area. Our local municipality uses them for public parks. https://www.wildgoosechasers.com/bird-control-removal-service-markets-served/

We had a neighbor installed 3' stakes in the ground near the waters edge. Each stake had long strips of reflective mirror streamers/tape stapled to them. A breeze would keep the streamers moving. Eventually that flock did not return.

Another neighbor had two labrador retrievers always playing in the yard on the waterfront side of his property. No geese. When the house was sold, new people did not have any dogs, the geese returned within a year.

What worked best for another neighbor allowing the geese to see him run for the garden hose and giving them a daily shower for a few days in a row. :) Funny, but true.

... Green laser (you tube) ...

hypothetical - to cover any illegalities

go to Amazon and search "green laser pointer high power". Geese do not like it. Ducks don't like it either. Raccoons ignore it. Bass fishermen don't like it. Herons and egrets don't like it. Range not an issue.

and, it's kinda fun!

lurker drawn out

... but I might try a green laser as that sounds like it could be fun.

I'd like to try the green laser, but I can't make heads or tails out of the info I've found on the web so far. What power levels, are required, and the sales info seems to be all over the map as far as power vs cost, etc.

We back up to a bike path which is close (15~20') to a retention pond that the geese like. The geese aren't a huge problem (yet to see how it goes this fall), but they do leave a mess of poop in our back yard. It's less than 100' to the bike path so I don't need the kind of power some sources talk about using for several hundred yards.

Anyone have a recommendation for green laser for ~ 100' range?

-ERD50

Here is an idea. Seems to work well.

Cheers!

hypothetical - to cover any illegalities

go to Amazon and search "green laser pointer high power". Geese do not like it. Ducks don't like it either. Raccoons ignore it. Bass fishermen don't like it. Herons and egrets don't like it. Range not an issue.

and, it's kinda fun!

lurker drawn out

I got one of these today. I live lakeside and the geese show up sporadically. They’ve not been around recently but I’m eager to try it out!

Back
Top Bottom