NFL

I'm from a generation where sportsmanship was a requisite part of sports. Making noise just for the purpose of making it impossible for the opponents to even hear their snap count, at any stadium not just Seattle though they seem to promote it more than most others. I object to defensive players going to great lengths for the strip more than making a tackle. I object to fans screaming and waving noodles when opponents are shooting free throws. Just to name a few.

Sportsmanship seems to be passé, that's sad to me. I am an old fuddy duddy, oh well...
With the price of tickets they charge nowadays they are entitled to do what they want.

I object to defensive players going to great lengths for the strip more than making a tackle.

And when defenders (especially the DBs) "tackle", more often than not they don't really tackle; they just launch themselves into the ball carrier like a missile, hoping to knock him down. It's not a "tackle" in the traditional sense since there's no wrapping up using the arms and pulling them down.

I think that style of tackling and hitting is a major contributor to the growing concussion problem in the NFL.

With the price of tickets they charge nowadays they are entitled to do what they want.

They can strip naked and streak on the field?

Yes, that's an extreme example, but when you buy a ticket you are agreeing to a contract (read the back of the ticket) which includes guidelines about acceptable behavior in the stadium. Sure, no team is going to discourage people from screaming when the other team has the ball to disrupt their offense, but the point remains that "I bought a ticket" does not equal "I have the right to do whatever I want in the stadium," whether you paid $5 or $500 for the ticket.

My hometown Blues hockey team tried a limitation scheme to keep the Blackhawk fans from swarming The Scottrade Center. Didn't work, they just bought the tickets off Stubhub and came in droves anyways.
How bout dem Blues are they ready to unseat my Blackhawks?

We disagree, but clearly I'm in the minority. What does sportsmanship mean these days, nothing? What does setting an example mean these days? Permeates everything these days, not just sports. Again, I'm a fuddy duddy in this regard...I know it.

Last edited:
We disagree, but clearly I'm in the minority. What does sportsmanship mean these days, nothing? What does setting an example mean these days? Permeates everything these days, not just sports. Again, I'm a fuddy duddy in this regard...I know it.
No you are right. My comment was meant to be sarcastic.

They can strip naked and streak on the field?

Yes, that's an extreme example, but when you buy a ticket you are agreeing to a contract (read the back of the ticket) which includes guidelines about acceptable behavior in the stadium. Sure, no team is going to discourage people from screaming when the other team has the ball to disrupt their offense, but the point remains that "I bought a ticket" does not equal "I have the right to do whatever I want in the stadium," whether you paid $5 or $500 for the ticket.

Yes, utube is full of examples of folks violating acceptable behavior contracts.

No need to glorify their stupidity here. It does make one think, am I willing to pay to sit next to some jerk? I'm glad the stadiums, at least in this area, are doing better at taming down unacceptable behavior.
MRG

How bout dem Blues are they ready to unseat my Blackhawks?

Probably won't get a chance to find out if we are paired up against our kryptonite, the LA Kings in the first round.. :(

It's actually a fairly common thing - Denver is doing the same thing.

Go Hawks!

If a landlord was refusing to rent to people other than from their home state people would be screaming discrimination - why should a sports team be any different?

I'm rooting for the Pats but I have reservations. The have looked real good at times but quite shaky at other times.

I admire how well they have done given the extent of injuries to key players. They are well prepared, play good team ball and are pretty disciplined. I'm not sure if they will win but they did beat up on Denver in the second half of the regular season meeting at Gillette so I am hopeful.

Seattle look like the cream of the NFC.

If a landlord was refusing to rent to people other than from their home state people would be screaming discrimination - why should a sports team be any different?

I'm not going to defend their tactic, but there are at least two major differences. First, there are federal and (generally) state laws concerning housing discrimination and there are none for buying tickets to an event. Secondly, housing is considered an essential good, a necessity; buying a football ticket is very much a discretionary item, a luxury if you will.

Don't they all in time? Today's new mobile QBs, though exciting, will all become more immobile with age I'd think.

My not-so-humble opinion is that a mobile QB is something else for the defense to think about, and is therefore a potent weapon. But the Wilsons and Kaepernicks and RGIIIs of the NFL will eventually find that running out in the open field, no matter that they are indeed bigger and stronger than QBs of the past, will lead to injuries and a shortening of careers. Having a mobile QB should be an option, likely a third option. Assuming the QB is just another RB is, well, kind of dumb as a strategy.

BTW, my pick is SF and Denver for the SB, with a slight nod to Denver to win.

Go Cowboys! :LOL:

Kaepernick tends to give himself up before contact which avoids the punishment (unlike Cam Newton who challenges the tacklers). Wilson is more a scrambler that looks to pass. But the strategy against the read option is to punish the QB when possible as that's one reason the option wasn't featured so much this year.

Kaepernick tends to give himself up before contact which avoids the punishment (unlike Cam Newton who challenges the tacklers). Wilson is more a scrambler that looks to pass. But the strategy against the read option is to punish the QB when possible as that's one reason the option wasn't featured so much this year.
I am not a Redskins fan, but it saddens me every time I see RGIII play now. He was as amazing as Kaepernick, Wilson and the others his rookie year before his injury, but now it appears his career potential has really been cut short.

It's too bad injuries are basically unavoidable in football, I hate to see any of them get hurt. When I see a fan applaud or cheer when an opposing player is injured (at sports bars), it makes me sick to my stomach. Fortunately it's a minority who react that way...

Last edited:
Nothing against SF or Seattle, but the superbowl before the superbowl is this Sunday. Brady vs Manning, Manning vs Brady.

I am really looking forward to the AFC championship game. But we don't want to see the Pats or Manning lose, so we can't root for or against. It could be a classic...

And hopefully we get a great SB no matter which two advance this weekend.

I am not a Redskins fan, but it saddens me every time I see RGIII play now. He was as amazing as Kaepernick, Wilson and the others his rookie year before his injury, but now it appears his career potential has really been cut short.

It's too bad injuries are basically unavoidable in football, I hate to see any of them get hurt. When I see a fan applaud or cheer when an opposing player is injured (at sports bars), it makes me sick to my stomach. Fortunately it's a minority who react that way...

RGIII's career has been cut short due to Shanahan keeping him in the game when he was badly limping and injured. At the time some people on this board including me called for Shanahan's firing for jeopardizing the health and future of his star quarterback not to mention the future success of the franchise.

A year later Shanahan got fired but I doubt if RGIII will ever be the promising quarterback he was.

RGIII's career has been cut short due to Shanahan keeping him in the game when he was badly limping and injured. At the time some people on this board including me called for Shanahan's firing for jeopardizing the health and future of his star quarterback not to mention the future success of the franchise.

A year later Shanahan got fired but I doubt if RGIII will ever be the promising quarterback he was.
Not that again, they're BOTH responsible for what happened. That's last years debate...and very sad.

Nothing against SF or Seattle, but the superbowl before the superbowl is this Sunday. Brady vs Manning, Manning vs Brady.

It should be a great game as they always are when these two great QBs meet. Brady's teams have the edge 10-4 against Manning's teams. After Sunday I hope it will be 11-4.

Go PATS.

I am really looking forward to the AFC championship game. But we don't want to see the Pats or Manning lose, so we can't root for or against. It could be a classic...

And hopefully we get a great SB no matter which two advance this weekend.

No dog in the hunt, but I think the four best of this season are where they should be. And, in another ten years or so, we might be talking about Kaepernick and Wilson the way we talk about Brady/Manning now.

Or not...

And, in the meantime,, a little QB humor:

1557462_10152149109965867_133628348_n.jpg

It should be a great game as they always are when these two great QBs meet. Brady's teams have the edge 10-4 against Manning's teams. After Sunday I hope it will be 11-4.

Go PATS.

I think adding the the drama is that their styles are quite different. Brady's more the one with great mechanics and Manning with all the audibles.

Back
Top Bottom