Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Purse, backpack, fanny pack or other external storage

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • Other option that I wasn't smart enough to include

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters

jjquantz

Full time employment: Posting here.
OK, a lot of you answered in the what is your wallet thread, but let's see just where ER people carry their wallets. Mine is in my left back pocket. Cell phone in left front, keys in right front. Right back pocket is reserved for golf scorecard on the course.

Wallet is on a chain in my left rear pocket, Gun is on my right side, I dont want to reach for ID and someone get an Itchy trigger finger. My major cash is in my left front pocket in a money clip.

Left front pocket. I don't like to sit on it and it seems more secure.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Front left pocket. Front right pocket used to be for keys, but that's where I keep the smartphone now, the latter being too big to carry in a belt pouch. Keys now go into rear right pocket to avoid scratching the smartphone screen.

Front left pocket. Used to be back left pocket but back problems forced me to stop sitting on it as it made my hips crooked for the periods of time sitting.

In my big purse. I even carry some groceries there now that California doesn't have free bag anymore.

..... Mine is in my left back pocket. Cell phone in left front, keys in right front. Right back pocket is reserved for golf scorecard on the course.

+1, though the right back pocket has to compete with the hankerchief which I always carry with me (which might, in turn, turn into another poll as to how many members are dinosaurs and carry a hankerchief).

Almost said right rear but that's for when wearing long pants. Now it's cargo shorts 99% of the time, so the wallet goes in the lower right front.

Wallet and pocket knife in front right pocket. Keys and cell phone in left front pocket. Nothing in back pockets.

Back right, unless I am in a crowd, then front right (pickpockets...). Cell phone in back left pocket. Keys clipped on belt loop, right side.

Yesterday, I went old school, and I left my wallet at home. I carried my driver's license, credit card, and five 20 dollar bills with a paper clip :) We went to see Rod Stewart, and I needed the pocket space for my binos.

It made me think about having the money clip for general trips, and only carrying the wallet for occasional trips. My wallet has gotten so thick, it's nearly as big as some of the small purses :)

I carried it in my left rear pocket for years and still do if I wear shorts or pants with a button. With no button I now always put it in my left front pocket because an open rear pocket is a target for pick pockets over seas and is a recipe for loss in comfy chairs or car seats. Speaking of pockets my pet peeve is the shallow pocket design a lot of pants makers use. I like quick dry, light weight outdoors pants like REI sells but almost all of them have shallow front pockets which facilitate keys or wallets falling out. They are as bad as back pockets. Why the poor design?

Front right. Got in the habit after commuting on a motorcycle, where the back pocket was both uncomfortable and came with the fear of slipping out of my rear...pocket.

I carry my wallet in my right front pocket. But I carry my separate cards-only pouch in my left front pocket.

Back in my working days, I carried both items in a fanny pack I wore at my waist. This made it easier to get my car pouch out to show the train crewman my ticket. And back in the 1990s, I carried my wallet in my right rear pants pocket and the card pouch in my left inside jacket pocket for easy access. That was back in the days or before casual attire.

Left front pocket, but that's my real wallet.
When I travel, I carry a second "dummy" wallet in my back pocket just for pickpockets. It has a few dollars, a phony ID card, and some phony credit cards.

Pen and comb left pocket, wallet right pocket, coin and keys right lower pocket, mobile lower left pocket. Do not use rear pockets. Sometimes replace wallet with bills wrapped around a credit card.

In my big purse. I even carry some groceries there now that California doesn't have free bag anymore.

Women's purses are also good to stow steak tartare, as Mr. Bean discovered.

For those who do not know, skip to 3:30 in the following video.

Here, Mr. Bean uses a woman's purse to store some oysters.

I chose 'other'. My pants normally have 6 pockets; 2 front, 2 back, and 2 side pockets (some are also front but lower than the actual front pockets). Side pockets normally have velcro covers. So, I put my wallet in my left side pocket, and cell phone in right side pocket. I feel safer with velcro covers on. I know if I put my cellphone in the normal right pocket, I can't sit down without it falling out or get stuck in a weird position.

Wallet, keys, pen in front left
Phone in front right
Comb and papers (to ultimately lose/throw away) in either back pocket.

I'm surprised the poll is split so far between folks who choose front vs back pocket for the wallet--I would have guessed about 75% of people were rear pocket walleteers.

I'm looking for a place to conveniently carry "something else" that I'd like to put in a pocket, and it seems that I'm out of good real estate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom