post your favorite oldies

An often forgotten hit for Bacharach/David, it was part of the soundtrack for the film "What's New Pussycat" before Arthur Lee and his band recorded it with a more driving beat.

Here is the scene that includes "Little Red Book."

I don't know if I posted about this song before or not. If so, my humble apologies.

I liked the song back in junior high and high school, in the 1960's, but back then it was just another song to me in a time with many great songs. Stagolee came to my attention once again when we were talking about the death of Lloyd Price. The song means so much more to me now. Perhaps this is because I found out that it is actually about a real murder that happened in St. Louis back on Christmas Day of 1895, when (Stagger) Lee Shelton shot and killed Billy Lyons. During times when my family was in the US I grew up within a short walking distance of the bar where it happened! Of course, that was 60-70 years later.

I have become intrigued by the entire legend of Stagolee. There is a lot available about it on the internet. I have the mp3 on my computer desktop and play it several times a day. This is definitely my favorite oldie at the moment.

I don't know if I posted about this song before or not. If so, my humble apologies.

I liked the song back in junior high and high school, in the 1960's, but back then it was just another song to me in a time with many great songs. Stagolee came to my attention once again when we were talking about the death of Lloyd Price. The song means so much more to me now. Perhaps this is because I found out that it is actually about a real murder that happened in St. Louis back on Christmas Day of 1895, when (Stagger) Lee Shelton shot and killed Billy Lyons. During times when my family was in the US I grew up within a short walking distance of the bar where it happened! Of course, that was 60-70 years later.

I have become intrigued by the entire legend of Stagolee. There is a lot available about it on the internet. I have the mp3 on my computer desktop and play it several times a day. This is definitely my favorite oldie at the moment.

Loved Stagger Lee.

Even better, to me, was Personality. Lloyd Price WAS the sound of the late 50s/early 60's - before the British Invasion came along. I hadn't heard that he had passed back in May. I'm glad he was granted a long life.

Johnny, Freddy and Les. Had dinner with them a few times. My friend still has Johnnys dinning room set and kitchen set which I ate at last week. Johnny is gone over 10 years now, Freddy about 9 and Les 1 year. I miss them.

Kenny sang with Jay Black and the Americans. One of the original Americans.

DW and I had this song as our wedding song 49 years ago. What's better than Johnny and Kenny singing it.

Cleveland Still is the second Lead singer of this great doo top group. Richard Blandon was the first.

On a few occasions I had the great pleasure of having dinner with Jimmy Gallagher.
He loves to go to my buddies house for meatballs. Heh

Almost doowop. The Essex had a lead singer (Anita Humes) who had a voice I can only describe as "bright." I wish the group had been able to do more than their 2 or 3 more minor hits following "Easier Said Than Done." I guess when you're in the Marine Corps, your time is not your own!

Anita passed in 2010 at age 69. Enjoy her amazing voice on these two hits and an also ran.

A couple of oldies with just a touch of sleaze.

First off: Hanky Panky by Tommy James and The Shondells

Then there's Louie Louie by the Kingsmen. There was great consternation in the heartland about the lyrics (which were just a Jamaican love song) because the recording (and probably the preparation) were inadequate. This made the words somewhat unintelligible. Those with minds open to hearing what they want to hear interpreted the lyrics as "obscene." Eventually, the song was "cleared" and remains a standard to this day. Every garage band has a version of it.

Oddly enough, at about :53 (supposedly) the drummer dropped a stick and then dropped an F bomb - you be the judge. Clearly, the video was NOT recorded at the time of the actual studio recording.

I just learned that De De Mollner, the blonde dancing on the right in the back passed away.
She was mostly the leader of the Gazzarri Dancers from the 60's. The girl next to her, Jacki Levy passed about 10 years ago. I spoke with De De from time to time. She will be missed.

Last edited:

I'll bet most folks don't know that Freddy Cannon was the guy who ran the Gong Show.

Back
Top Bottom