post your favorite oldies

"Sounds of Silence" by Simon & Garfunkel... and others.

My most useless grudge is over those two going their separate ways. I still won't listen to any of their individual music, though I'm doubtful they'll do a reunion in their 80s.

"Sounds of Silence" by Simon & Garfunkel... and others.

My most useless grudge is over those two going their separate ways. I still won't listen to any of their individual music, though I'm doubtful they'll do a reunion in their 80s.

Duos can fall out -- consider the Everly Brothers, whom S&G credited as their inspiration.

I like a lot of Simon's work post-Garfunkel. His turn into world music was notable, and he made stars, deservedly, out of Ladysmith Black Mombazo.

I'm a fan of Brian Eno, who has produced (read: arranged) the sounds of a number of hit musical acts, most notably Talking Heads and U2. Simon had him produce one of his late albums, "Surprise." I like it.

This one has a definite Eno sound. Complex rhythms. Little flourishes here and there.

This is a long thread and I probably posted this pages ago. One of my all time favorites.

Another favorite in a much different vein. Alan Wilson was one of the many early deaths of the times.

Another favorite in a much different vein. Alan Wilson was one of the many early deaths of the times.

When I was in high school Canned Heat put out an album with John Lee Hooker called "Hooker 'n' Heat." The band had adopted a number of Hooker's tunes, so it was probably quite a treat to play with the man they emulated. As for Hooker, it was a pretty good payday. He went on to record with a number of other white boomer musicians. I believe this was the last published recording by Alan Wilson (liner notes called him "Blind Owl").

Evidently Wilson's sight was terrible, and thus his nickname "Blind Owl."

Yep. His boogie was more evident in the band's first hit, "On the Road again," which blends Hooker-style boogie with sitar. Interesting stuff.

Reading his Wiki bio, Wilson's falsetto style was inspired by the great bluesman Skip James. Alan chose his inspiration wisely. Here's a Skip James sample -- he is incomparable.

Difficult to believe such a troubled soul could write and sing such a joyful sounding song. I suppose that's often the curse of the true artist - to bring beauty and joy to a world s/he doesn't seem able to enjoy. YMMV

But speaking of joyful music in the oldies vein WITH the use of the flute, how about one of my all time favorites?

Here is a cover from an group from down under, Lachy Doley Group. Talented musicians I came across browsing YouTube. Get it While You Can.

I have always been partial to bands with horn sections. One of my top 5 bands is Kool and the Gang. I like their earlier work more, before they went too "pop", such as this song with a nice upbeat message:

Yep, brings Blood, Sweat & Tears to mind, that I always enjoyed.
I had a hard to deciding what song to post, so many good ones.
I really like the voice of David Clayton-Thomas, and, you can understand every word.

https://youtu.be/HPxwWnJD_Uo

BobSeger and the Last Heard doing Heavy Music. This was his band in the ‘60’s, pretty much confined to those of us in the “313” before he “made it”. Other songs you can youtube by them are Persecution Smith and the moving East Side Story. Great classic Rock!

Back
Top Bottom