post your favorite oldies

Yep, brings Blood, Sweat & Tears to mind, that I always enjoyed.
I had a hard to deciding what song to post, so many good ones.
I really like the voice of David Clayton-Thomas, and, you can understand every word.

Good band. I remember in high school "arguing" with a friend about who was better, Blood, Sweat and Tears (him) or Chicago (Me). We would listen to their albums and point out what made a song "superior" to what the other group could do. All in fun, of course.

But I do lean to Chicago (the Terry Kath days, RIP). Another "top 5" band of mine. A tough time deciding what to post. I'll just put sections of their suite "Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon" - the opening and closing sections merged together, released as the song "Make Me Smile", and another section, in my opinion one of best slow love songs ever written, "Colour My World":

Here's a pretty cool brass-heavy band from the '60s (I've probably posted this before, if so, sorry)

Good band. I remember in high school "arguing" with a friend about who was better, Blood, Sweat and Tears (him) or Chicago (Me). We would listen to their albums and point out what made a song "superior" to what the other group could do. All in fun, of course.

But I do lean to Chicago (the Terry Kath days, RIP). Another "top 5" band of mine. A tough time deciding what to post. I'll just put sections of their suite "Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon" - the opening and closing sections merged together, released as the song "Make Me Smile", and another section, in my opinion one of best slow love songs ever written, "Colour My World":

I was in university during that "battle of the bands" period. Much as I liked BS&T (and I liked them a lot) I too found myself leaning toward Chicago - especially the Kath era but I stayed with them (on and off) over the years. I've been fortunate to find (back in the day) vinyl or cassette and, later, CDs of a couple dozen of their albums.

Now, for something completely different - NOT indicative of typical Chicago fare (but indicative of my contention that Kath was on par with Hendrix) I present:

https://youtu.be/TZb-sTvc5vg

Can't seem to get these videos posted tonight, sorry!

Frank Mancuso first with the Imaginations back in the 50's. Later with the Legends of Doo Top. Ate with the Legends of Doo Wop a few times after shows at my buddies house.

Last edited:
Scrapper Blackwell and Leroy Carr were a highly successful Indianapolis guitar/piano duo in the late '20s-early '30s who had a big hit with "How Long, How Long Blues" in 1928. When Carr died in 1935, Blackwell faded into obscurity. The folk music craze of the early 1960s revived the careers of numerous old-time bluesmen, but before Blackwell could enjoy the full benefit he was murdered in an Indianapolis alley. The crime remains unsolved.

The tall Blonde in the back of the room is Deanna Molner. Uses Dee Dee as her name. She was basically the leader of the famed Gazarri Dancers. Danced in many videos. She passed away last year.

Last edited:
We lost Ronnie 2 months ago. Veronica Bennett married Phil Spector and became Ronnie Spector. For you young folk.

Song about 62 Max Wedge 413 running a fuel injected 327 vette.

Recent BS&T discussion got me thinking about the band. As I understand, Al Kooper was inspired to form BS&T (which later fired him) by the work of a Chicago pop band called The Buckinghams. For those who don't remember, here's a sample of their work. Apparently the horn section didn't show up for the lip-sync.

Do Paul Revere & the Raiders belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Yes.

Speaking of Chicago groups, The Shadows of Knight covered Them's song GLORIA and, IMHO, did a good job of it. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom