Really Good Foods You Probably Haven't Tried

Have known him since college. Then, ended up at the same megacorp 10 years after graduation. Still work with him. He has not caused anybody any harm. Not that I know of anyway :)

P.S. To avoid another post, I answer CFB's post below by adding postscript here.

I am dense, so do not know what you and T-Al are alluding to.

OK. I am not that dense after all, but wouldn't think you guys would be so bad. :D

Nah, he's harmless. I do not even have to carry a pacifier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, anythings possible. I just figured all that flute playing might render innuendo unnecessary.

Dillo Eggs..mmmmmm

ARMADILLO EGGS
1/2 lb Monterey Jack Cheese
1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 lb hot pork sausage meat
11/2 cup Bisquick mix
1 egg
1 package pork flavor Shake 'N Bake
20 whole jalapeno peppers*

You may use fresh, bottled, or canned sliced hot peppers, cut them in half lengthwise and scrape out all the seeds (wear gloves). Seasoned bread crumbs or Pepperidge Farm Herb stuffing mix (processed in food processor) may be substituted.
Try to keep both halves near each other as you have to put them back together later.
Mix bisquick, raw sausage & cheddar cheese.
Stuff each pepper with Monterey Jack cheese and put the halves back together.
Grab a handful of Bisquick mixture and mold around pepper in the shape of elongated egg.
Use enough to cover pepper well.
Dip armadillo egg in beaten egg and roll in Shake 'n Bake. Bake on lightly oiled baking sheet at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until crisp. *Use 20-30 peppers depending on heat desired.

Cooks.com - Recipe - Armadillo Eggs

The squirrels on the U.S. Naval Academy grounds think that all the midshipmen (in their Navy uniforms) are the same person, and the mids have tamed the squirrels with peanuts.

One winter holiday when the dorm was empty my roomate was standing fire & security watch. He smelled something cooking, which wasn't permitted in midshipman rooms, so he tracked it down. It turned out to be a good ol' boy who'd been dramatically stretching his food budget with a handful of peanuts and all the tame squirrels he could feed. He'd even found some kindred good ol' boys to buy the carcasses, so he was making a profit.

I know what some of you veterans are thinking. Yes, it turns out that USNA squirrels & bunnies are protected by the UCMJ as public animals...

My favorite cook book is the original Joy of Cooking, which includes such items as how to skin and clean a squirrel. Apparently that stuff was taken out of later revisions, as were the bits and pieces associated with entertaining in the 50's and 60's.
When I wear one out I have to go find used copies in excellent condition.
I'm losing track-- are you wearing out the cook books or the squirrels?

I'm losing track-- are you wearing out the cook books or the squirrels?

Both. He uses the cook books to kill the squirrels.

CFB, you should use a rock or hammer instead... maybe take the safety off of the nail gun and go that route.

Li hing mui (crack seed), a Chinese/Hawaiian snack which I haven't experienced since I was a teenager back home in Hawaii. Sweet, salty, spicy... yum! Intense flavor but I suppose not much substance.

Basically I think it is probably dried, salted, spicy fruit with the seed still in (good to suck on after the fruit is gone).

I'll second Li Hing Mui. Agree with Vernon as having the best ginger ale in the country, and add Mochi. Mochi is Japanese sweet made from sugar and sticky rice. It is very good by itself, great for people who are intolerant to wheat products. But when you combine Moochi with Ice Cream yum yum.

Possibly available at Costco's at cities with a big Japanese population.

800px-Mochi_Ice_Cream.jpg

Pea eggplants.

22nd+Feb+016.jpg

An acquired taste. First had them in green curry when we were in Thailand. They have a bitter taste, but it is so good when combined with the right ingredients.

Just made green curry chicken tonight. We planted thai basil in a pot, and it is growing by leaps and bounds! Thai basil has an awesome unusual flavor - sorta like licorice. Yummy dinner tonight!

Smelts: battered and deep-fried and eaten bones and all.

Every Christmas for years after leaving the PacNW(aka 'God's Country') relatives sent Aplets and Cotlets(candy), Smoked Smelt and Salmon as consolation.

Took a while to convince them I could survive in Denver, and later Huntsville and New Orleans on local fare.

heh heh heh - :cool:

Odd stuff on the domestic market - at least it's an attention getting commercial:
YouTube - An Extraordinary Nutsack??
Did the boss think this was a good idea?
Is this really the product they want to sell?
Extrordinary nut sack?
Really?

Hearking back - tried Purslane - first leaf was a bit like deer clover, others were milder, but a good crunchy texture. Weirded some tenants out by munching on parking lot weeds.

Hearking back - tried Purslane - first leaf was a bit like deer clover, others were milder, but a good crunchy texture. Weirded some tenants out by munching on parking lot weeds.

Our name for scavenged greens is sidewalk salad. i usually enjoy weirding out people by eating flowers like violets, daylilies, tulips and roses, as well as the assorted weeds.

Our name for scavenged greens is sidewalk salad. i usually enjoy weirding out people by eating flowers like violets, daylilies, tulips and roses, as well as the assorted weeds.

I've done violets lilies roses, haven't done tulips (is it the petals that are edible?)

If we could just use California grass, bougainevillea, and gardenias in our diet then we'd never have to visit a grocery store again...

If we could just use California grass, bougainevillea, and gardenias in our diet then we'd never have to visit a grocery store again...

Singing - "Jojo left his home in Tucson Arizona for some California grass" O0

Singing - "Jojo left his home in Tucson Arizona for some California grass" O0
Well, yeah, I guess that'd account for all the helicopters hovering over our back yard...

I was referring to this nasty stuff:

Attachments

• California grass.jpg
    California grass.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 122

Can you post pictures of your potpourri salad plate, next chance you get?

Compared to exotic animals, wild greens should not scare anybody, at least as it comes to the taste. Toxicity is something else, however. I am sure you already check out the edibility of these plants.

As a kid, about 10 y.o, I once nibbled on a wild pretty berry that looked like a rasberry. The strange bitter taste of it stayed with me the entire day, although I spat it out immediately. I thought I was going to die, yet did not tell my parents, in fear of getting scolded.

Chrysanthemum tea. Very popular in China. Very refreshing and aromatic.

i usually enjoy weirding out people by eating flowers like violets, daylilies, tulips and roses, as well as the assorted weeds.

I'm picturing you in a public park on your hands and knees, grinning up at the tourists between bites.

If I'm going to drink soda, it has to be this one:

31K169AT3YL._SL500_AA225_.jpg

Vernor's ginger ale is the best! If you're from Michigan, you know about this stuff. It seems to be spreading a bit, though. We can get it in the grocery stores in KY. Comes in diet, too.

I totally agree. This does not taste like any other GA that is made. I have enjoyed it for over 50 years and I have never lived in MI, but grab it whenever I see it in a store.

We've enjoyed a ginger ale called Blenheim's in the Carolinas--so gingery the aeration will make you cry.

Back
Top Bottom