Red Wine Temperature

bank5

Recycles dryer sheets
I heard a guy talking about wine on NPR today. He was saying that most red wine is best served below room temperature - 50 - 60 degrees. He said the taste at the different temperatures is remarkably different.

He said a fun test is to chill a bottle of red in the fridge for about an hour. This will bring it down to about 50 degrees. Then pour the first glass and let the wine warm back up to room temperature. From what he was saying, you'll notice the difference in taste between glasses.

The rule of thumb I go for is Whites served around 40 degrees, Reds around 50 degrees. In actual practice, this means serving whites right out of the fridge, but leaving reds out of the fridge for half or a whole hour before serving.

I've always followed the 15 minute rule. Bring white wine out of the fridge 15 minutes before serving and put red wine in the fridge 15 minutes before serving. Seems to work. Remember, room temperature was considerably lower in those old drafty castles than in a modern house with central heating.

Depends. Big, fat, hot climate reds are good at room temps. Cru Beaujolais is nice with a bit of a chill on it. Box wine, well, get a funnel as long as it isn't boiling.

If I am impatient and really do not want to wait for it to cool, I pop my glass in the freezer for 5 minutes and open the bottle for breathing. Usually have an ice water back with all my reds. This seems to work well around here.

Room, or "cellar" temperature? A lot of reds would probably be best at cellar temperature, which is ~ 55F (think sealed "root cellar" not your basement which picks up warmer air).

The 15 minute guideline mentioned earlier works pretty well. Most refridges are ~ 34-36F, which is awfully cold for a nice white. 15 minutes (or more) out in the room helps. And 15 minutes in for a red will bring it down close to cellar temps, a bit more for light reds, a but less (if at all) for a nice cab.

-ERD50

For some time now, I must have all of my wines chilled. I have to throw a chunk of ice in it right after I say, "Is it hot in here?!"

Sometimes it's not fun being a girl...:p

I've always followed the 15 minute rule. Bring white wine out of the fridge 15 minutes before serving and put red wine in the fridge 15 minutes before serving. Seems to work. Remember, room temperature was considerably lower in those old drafty castles than in a modern house with central heating.

As one wine person told me... room temp is the temp of the wine cellar... not the room you are drinking... and if you have been in a wine cellar, they are in the mid 60s... at least the two I was in...

I'm the only wine drinker in the house, and I typically only drink one glass with dinner. So the main problem is keeping the remaining wine in the bottle drinkable for several days.

So, I open the bottle, pour a glass, and immediately recork the bottle and put it into the fridge. On succeeding days, I take it out, pour, and put it back.

IOW, I almost always drink it cold, and it's fine.

by room temperature, I mean 77-78 F

I don't have a cellar. We don't even have basements in Texas.

by room temperature, I mean 77-78 F

Yep... I am here also... what I was saying is that 'room temp' is not really room temp for wines... they had a wine cellar that was colder...

Here is a listing of what temp a wine should be served... and except for the one I have no idea what it is... all are below 67F...

Wine Temperature Chart : Temps for Serving / Storing Wine

I had forgotten that about Texas, no basements huh? Only been to Houston Texas once..........talk about HOOOOT, ya........baby..reminded me of Vegas.

Back to the original topic, my cold cellar isn't a controlled temperature so I place my red wines in the fridge at 50 degrees which is actually too cold but that's the way we luv it and beer is at 37 degrees. Vodka is in the freezer.
Ok, now I'm thirsty and miss Texas.

Back
Top Bottom