Self Checkout: loathe or like?

At my local Fred Meyer, there are about 12 traditional checkout lanes, one Express self-checkout area that says no more than about 12-15 items, and one no-item-limit self-checkout area. Each of the self-checkout areas has between 4 and 6 stations.

Works perfectly for me. I'll try to use self-checkout if I can, and I'll self-select into the appropriate area. If I have a larger cart full of stuff, I'll go to the regular lines.

That sounds perfect. Hats off to Fred!

I’ve bern very reluctant to use the self checkout. However, as has been said, the stores are forcing the situation. I usually don’t have many items and since they only have a couple lanes open, it’s too compelling to use the self checkout. Personally, I hate them. I can’t stand the voice telling me to put my stuff in the bag and when I move something around, it won’t shut up. I realized the last time that I really don’t have to listen to that devil. I just kept scanning and it kept chirping at me and I just ignored it and hit pay and checked out. Not sure if they finally figured out that they can’t monitor the bagging area well enough to justify stopping the transaction, but I hope so.

I’ll take a regular lane whenever I can unless the wait is just clearly too long. Then I’ll bite the bullet and do it myself.

I use the self check out at target all the time but yesterday I went to home depot and it was totally self scan . I had three large garbage cans so I used the wand but I would have rather had a real checker .

I’ll give it a go. Use it frequently grocery shopping. Just want people to know their sh@t if they’re going to use it. Love Home Depot for the previous stated reason fo being able to not scan larger items previously

Love self checkout and started using it as soon as it was available. We rarely have many items and prefer to self checkout. We are very fast. The recently increased the number of self checkout terminals at our main grocery store.

We've been busy acquiring all new doctors and dentists since our move. Every practice requires online data fill-in before the appt, or else those heavy clunky electronic pad things in the office. Yes, it is to save on office staff's time. Plus, they can't be blamed if your data has an error.

And this month for a doctor's appointment I had to fill out everything online ahead of time instead of writing it down on a sheet of paper attached to a clipboard in the waiting room. I felt I was employed as a data entry person for the physician.

We've been busy acquiring all new doctors and dentists since our move. Every practice requires online data fill-in before the appt, or else those heavy clunky electronic pad things in the office. Yes, it is to save on office staff's time. Plus, they can't be blamed if your data has an error.

Personally, I like filling out those forms at home on my computer. Much better than me trying to do so in the waiting room on a clipboard and without all my information handy.

Use the self checkout in BJ's, as don't wish to wait behind someone with a massive number of items in their cart.
Plus there are no bags anyway.
For Publix, there are no self checkout lines, so the choice is made for you.

I don't use self-checkout and always go to a human cashier. It is my own small way to help keep up employment opportunities. I once wrote to Lowes corporate headquarters to tell them to hire human cashiers. I'm willing to pay a little more for screws and nails, etc to make that happen.

We never use them for more than a few items because of the bagging area sensitivity. In our area you must bring your own bags, which are of differing weights, and the computer freaks out. I dread the “unexpected item in the bagging area” announcement because my canvas bag weighs more than a plastic bag.

I also learned the hard way that alcohol purchases must go through a checker.

I've yet to make it out of Costco's self-checkout without someone around me needing help, and every one of these seems to need a lot of babysitting.
Wow - I've never been in a Costco with a self-checkout! And I've visited them in several states.

Last edited:
I don't use self-checkout and always go to a human cashier. It is my own small way to help keep up employment opportunities. I once wrote to Lowes corporate headquarters to tell them to hire human cashiers. I'm willing to pay a little more for screws and nails, etc to make that happen.

I don't use self checkouts either. Working a cash register is a menial job and I'll support those who do so whenever possible.

I have family members that feel this way. They think it is a Big Retail conspiracy. I now see fewer checkout cashiers and stores eliminating the choice for a human cashier so I think my family members are correct to feel this way. At our grocery they have one cashier responsible for 12 stations and you have to wait forever to get help.

I’m convinced the people writing the software for these machines never actually use the machines. The weight sensing interface is stupid. My store also has the handheld scanners that you can scan as you load items into your cart. It’s pretty slick but it crashes sometimes and my cart was audited twice. Humiliating experience.

Love!!! I am faster then the average disinterested employee and also I don't have to try to make conversation.

+1.

I don't need a date. DW and I are still a pair.

I don't need a new friend, I've got a dog.

For social interaction, I'll go to the soup kitchen.

signed, Grumbles (ask the kids). :D

I'm a bit of a germophobe so I would avoid using a hand scanner. Otherwise, I prefer self checkout.
+1. I like Sam's Club's app. Use your phone, not the scanner. Easy, fast, no lines!

+1. I like Sam's Club's app. Use your phone, not the scanner. Easy, fast, no lines!

I like Sam's Club cordless scanner at the self check out. You don't even have to take stuff out of the cart. Just point and click. At other self check kiosks, it is often required to remove every item from your cart, heft it onto the scanner and then move it onto yet another area (I think they weigh the items to be certain you actually scanned them.)

So, at Sam's I prefer self check out. At most grocery stores, I avoid them. As always, YMMV.

Self checkout most of the time. Usually I can get right on one rather than wait in line, though if there's no line I'll often use a cashier.

The main reason is that I like to bag my own stuff. I go to Kroger, tell them to use all 4 bags, and the bagger makes it his mission to cram everything in one or two. I ask him not too, and he says he's putting all the refrigerator stuff together. Do you refrigerate bananas?

As for the annoying voice thing on the scanner, I almost always turn the volume off. Or I talk back to it, rudely.

One thing I hate is that I can only put one of my bags on the scanner at a time, or it'll flag the weight and make someone come over and clear it. Usually I get around it by putting a heavy item with the bag in the bagging area, but it's stupid.

I like it, a lot.
1) When I have a few things, it is generally faster to DIY than to wait for an available cashier.

2) When I have a lot of things I go to the cashier, but the self-check still helps me because other shoppers are using it, not ahead of me in the cashier's lane.:)

The next thing coming (and already present in some places) is "scan as you go". The items get scanned by you before you drop them in the cart, there's no "event" at all when you are done, just stroll it out to your car. I am NOT looking forward to this. The already congested aisles will be clogged with people trying to get the **** thing to accept their items, etc. I do not think it will be an improvement, except for the market's bottom line.

Last edited:
My store also has the handheld scanners that you can scan as you load items into your cart. It’s pretty slick but it crashes sometimes and my cart was audited twice. Humiliating experience.
I would get my money back and leave my cart right there. It wouldn't have to happen often before they'd be pretty darn choosy about who they accused of stealing. "Audit"--right.

We use which ever is faster, but that is usually the self check.

I loathe self checkout. The price of checking-out is built into the merchandise price. I feel as if I’m doing their work; and should receive a discount.

I always use the self checkout at Sam's Club. Everything they sell has a bar code. I hate the ones at the grocery store where I have to go through the menu to look up produce. The cashiers are quicker than I am.:)

Back
Top Bottom