Self Checkout: loathe or like?

self checkouts

I like the freedom of having the self checkouts available but refuse to use the self order kiosks that are popping up at the local fast food restaurants. not sure why.

Use them only when I have less than 5 items and all are clearly marked. The ones at the market I go to are absolutely awful - slow, inaccurate, constantly frustrating if it's a produce or bulk item.

I used to be a market checker in high school over the summer. On a good POS system you can check faster than two people can unload a grocery cart!

One of these days - fairly soon - auto-reading SKU systems will be everywhere, but it's not quite here yet.

I hate using them. I usually ask for a cashier, and say that I’m not being paid to do their jobs. I’m rarely rude like that, but I truly hate it.

Use them only when I have less than 5 items and all are clearly marked. The ones at the market I go to are absolutely awful - slow, inaccurate, constantly frustrating if it's a produce or bulk item.

I used to be a market checker in high school over the summer. On a good POS system you can check faster than two people can unload a grocery cart!

One of these days - fairly soon - auto-reading SKU systems will be everywhere, but it's not quite here yet.

Bold by me. The fastest checkers I have ever seen are the ones at the two Aldi's near me. Of course, it does speed things up when they just need to put it in a cart, and not in a bag, but I don't think that is the only reason. They can certainly scan faster than I can empty the cart.

The one's at Meijer when I was living in the Midwest 10 years ago were pretty good, but my local ones now are awful (extremely hard to load without locking every other item), so I'm forced to avoid self-checkout. I like self-checkout as there aren't any "surprises" that can pop up on my receipt if I don't catch it midway.

I like the freedom of having the self checkouts available but refuse to use the self order kiosks that are popping up at the local fast food restaurants. not sure why.

probably because the food screens are notoriously dirty: "Unsanitary touchscreens found at McDonald's U.K. restaurants sent shock waves across the pond last week, as numerous U.S. media outlets reported that bacteria were found on touchscreens at all eight U.K. locations where the kiosks have been installed, despite the company's claims that the screens are cleaned daily. The news came as a surprise to most kiosk industry observers interviewed by Kiosk Marketplace."

https://www.kioskmarketplace.com/ar...overed-kiosks-give-rise-to-safety-concerns-2/

At the supermarket I sometimes use self-checkout, mainly if I have only a few items and no coupons or bottle return receipts, and the cashier lanes are busy (or I am getting rid of coins, see below). Un-barcoded items such as donuts are a minor nuisance to look up. One plus for self-checkout, and I am surprised nobody mentioned it already, is that I use it to get rid of the small coins (dimes, nickels, pennies) I have accumulated over the months. One minus for self-checkout is that I can't really get any paper bags I use for my kitchen garbage.

At other stores (such as Target or Home Depot), I rarely buy more than a few items, I seek out the self-checkout. There, the cashier lanes are always slow, often because of customers buying a lot of items or many bulky items difficult to scan, and they have many self-checkout lanes and a short or no line so I can just get the heck out of there quickly. I was at HD recently and all their self-checkout lanes were closed. I had a pocket full of coins I was eager to get rid of LOL!

And at Key Food supermarket recently, the machine failed to dispense a $5 bill for change. Took the manager several minutes with an opened machine before he gave up and just took a $5 bill out and handed it to me.

I self-scan where the scanner is hand-held, and the store isn't trying to monitor me by making me put each item on a scale. That doesn't work with changing bags, stalls out and calls the "monitor" when there's no need, and tells me they think I'm a criminal.

You'd think that when I scan my "loyalty" card that says I've been shopping there for 30 years, they could cut me a little slack.

But in Costco, etc., I just put everything in the cart bar code up, and leave it there. Last time the checker scanned 9 items in about 7 seconds. They like that.

Local markets are increasingly relying on self check lines and I've seen a number of justifications for installing DIY checkouts; cost cutting (employee costs), customers prefer to use them when buying "embarrassing" items, and speed.

Has anyone ever found them to be faster? Do I get a discount for checking and bagging my own stuff?

Do you use or actually like self-check lines?

:)

I use them every chance I get, and I love them. Yes, they are faster.

Local markets are increasingly relying on self check lines and I've seen a number of justifications for installing DIY checkouts; cost cutting (employee costs), customers prefer to use them when buying "embarrassing" items, and speed.

Has anyone ever found them to be faster? Do I get a discount for checking and bagging my own stuff?

Do you use or actually like self-check lines?

:)
i avoid them like the plague. i've always thought of using them equivalent to kicking the "shovel" out of the worker's hand. the more we use them the more justification for eliminating jobs. same reason i won't use the self-order kiosks at fast food joints. on the other side of the coin i do shop online, nor exclusively and usually when a retail store doesn't stock what i need.

I was in a Sierra outdoor store in Colorado, and while they had some items in the store, the also had a very very large computer touch screen display on a wall where one could order items online if they were not in stock in the store. Other colors and sizes for instance. I think that counts as self service?

I try to always use the clerk to check-out. Figure I’m helping save someone’s job. Groceries in America aren’t all that expensive that I’d rather have that small savings back.

Our local supermarket (Stop and Shop) has portable scanners that you can pick up at the entrance so you can scan the items as you put them in your cart. At the checkout, I merely have to place the portable scanner in a cradle and the pay at the machine. I use Apple Pay so even the payment is quick and effortless

This system also allows me to directly bag what I buy in my reusable bags so it is much quicker.

I tend to go to the cashier, I like to keep people employed. If I only have a couple of items and the store isn't busy I'll use the self checkout.

Enforced express line limits? Really??

I like and use self-checkout. I loathe people who use it with crazy-full shopping carts during busy times. There should be enforced item limits like on “express lanes”.

ENFORCED item limits on express lanes? Really?? Where do you live?
Our local stores not only do NOT enforce posted limited number of items, but they won't even comment, telling us that the store management tells NOT to say anything!:mad: They would rather have the rule abiding customers wait longer behind these " I can do whatever I want" types that have double or more the item limit, because they are afraid they might tick off these rule breakers!:mad:
A recent example even had the cashier rebag all her items already in single bags into double bags, while we all were forced to wait even longer!
Typical in this " I don't care about anyone but me" world. :rolleyes::confused:

This store had no self check out lanes.

Don’t like them! Our local grocery went to self checkout and the cashiers told me 24 people lost their jobs.
I am retired and I like people to wait on me....

Whatever gets me out of the store quickest. I've had a long running complaint regarding most stores is that the most unpleasant tasks while shopping is getting someone to take my money. Seems most stores laid off the cashiers ten years ago. Finally providing a solution to counter this trend of poor service!

Which I choose depends on number of items, how many check out lanes open, etc. Usually results in using the human in grocery stores, gladly use the self-check out in most other stores.

I prefer full service options to do-it-yourself options. For example:

1) I miss the days when gas station attendants would fill your car with gas, check the oil and belts and tires, and so on.

2) I prefer lines with friendly cashiers to "self checkout", where I have to figure out how to check out and pay with no help freely offered unless I demand it.

3) I prefer waitresses that give me a menu, wait a moment, and then come back and say, "May I take your order?" to those that just plop a drink or even a meal down in front of me (before I can even sit down) just because that is what I ordered last time, without even asking if that is what I want this time.

Guess this shows my age. :wiseone:

I hate using them. I usually ask for a cashier, and say that I’m not being paid to do their jobs. I’m rarely rude like that, but I truly hate it.

Yes, you should be rude to the low level manager who had absolutely zero say in having self checkout in the store he/she works. :facepalm:

probably because the food screens are notoriously dirty: "Unsanitary touchscreens found at McDonald's U.K. restaurants sent shock waves across the pond last week, as numerous U.S. media outlets reported that bacteria were found on touchscreens at all eight U.K. locations where the kiosks have been installed, despite the company's claims that the screens are cleaned daily. The news came as a surprise to most kiosk industry observers interviewed by Kiosk Marketplace."

https://www.kioskmarketplace.com/ar...overed-kiosks-give-rise-to-safety-concerns-2/

And that's why you wash your hands immediately before you eat...this is smart whether you use the kiosk or not. Think about the money or credit card you (and many others) may have handled prior to you touching it. Even the tray...have you seen how they are wiped with a cloth that *might* have been washed in the last 12 hours? Once my food is sitting at the table, THEN and ONLY THEN will I wash my hands.

Sam’s Club has the best self checkout. You use your phone to scan items as you put them in your cart and then pay on your phone as you walk to the exit. The employees who check your receipt at the exit will scan the barcode on your phone and they see exactly what you bought. One time, I accidentally scanned an item twice and they caught it on my way out.

Last winter, I ate at a McDonalds several times during the busy lunch hour in my retirement community. I was surprised that the line was 6 deep to order at the counter but the kiosks were all empty.

Last week, I was at a McDonalds populated by mostly younger people. It was fascinating to watch the younger people go straight to the kiosks, even WAITING to use a kiosk when the employee at the counter was standing idle.

Like it or not, I think self serve is the wave of the future.

And that's why you wash your hands immediately before you eat...this is smart whether you use the kiosk or not. Think about the money or credit card you (and many others) may have handled prior to you touching it. Even the tray...have you seen how they are wiped with a cloth that *might* have been washed in the last 12 hours? Once my food is sitting at the table, THEN and ONLY THEN will I wash my hands.

I thought you would appreciate this segment of a thread on my local 'nextdoor' app. There was a bit of a dust-up about dogs in restaurants. This is an excerpt from one person wrote: "I went to breakfast one day and the guy in front of me had his dog with him. He proceeded to put that dog on the counter while he ordered his food. After they left the counter, i had to ask the cashier to wipe the countertop where the dog's butt was."

Back
Top Bottom