Self Checkout: loathe or like?

I realize that they are trying to compete with robot run, non-stocking companies like Amazon, which is why I refuse to purchase from Amazon. (I'm obviously in the minority...)

Assuming you mean not only Amazon but every other online merchant as well, what do you do for an item that isn't local? Today I ordered an item from Amazon that costs $21.19, shipped, and the closest store that carries it is an hour away. I'll be danged if I'm going to drive two hours, and spend at least $20 in fuel, just to have the transaction handled by a person face-to-face. At that point it becomes silly.

and it's a vicious cycle. stores reduce inventory so we order online resulting in stores lowering inventory.

groceries are now getting into the act with online "shopping", orders filled by store pickers and ready for pickup in 2-3 hours. i do choose to shop online for things i can't find locally and as walt pointed out sometime there is no other reasonable choice but we won't use the grocery service. we pay attention to 'use by dates' and we are picky about our meat and produce and i won't entrust either to others.

Do you use or actually like self-check lines?

:)

I use them only if I have a couple, simple items. My failure rate is too high :LOL:

BTW, we were traveling this week somewhere near Astoria, Oregon and we stopped at a gas station that pumped our gas :cool: I was hoping he was going to wash my windshield :)

BTW, we were traveling this week somewhere near Astoria, Oregon and we stopped at a gas station that pumped our gas

Used to be, perhaps it still is, that you weren't allowed to pump your own gas in Oregon.

Used to be, perhaps it still is, that you weren't allowed to pump your own gas in Oregon.

Same thing in New Jersey. It's against the law and you can be fined for pumping your own gas.

I rarely use self check out and then only if I have a few items. Of the times that I have about half the time something goes wrong (scanner malfunction, wrong price being registered, etc.) and I have to call for a cashier to fix it. Seems counterproductive.

Cheers!

an article just for this topic "
I've mastered the art of stealing from self-checkout lines
"Empowered by the rationalization of scamming a morally-corrupt corporation — along with the ease and the thrill of scoring some epic savings — I became a master of stealing from self-checkout. The techniques are simple enough, with risk of getting caught pretty minimal if all the right precautions are taken. Thankfully, automation makes shoplifting a pleasantly streamlined process."

https://therooster.com/blog/master-art-stealing-self-checkout

Her parents must be proud of her.... not only is she a thief but she is bragging about it. :facepalm:

She is stealing from other customers, who must pay higher prices to make up for the losses caused by her pilferage, or from the employees, who are paid lower wages. The "morally-corrupt corporation" isn't harmed at all. Just a thief is all she is and, with her self-delusion and sense of entitlement, all she is ever likely to be.

and it's a vicious cycle. stores reduce inventory so we order online resulting in stores lowering inventory.

groceries are now getting into the act with online "shopping", orders filled by store pickers and ready for pickup in 2-3 hours. i do choose to shop online for things i can't find locally and as walt pointed out sometime there is no other reasonable choice but we won't use the grocery service. we pay attention to 'use by dates' and we are picky about our meat and produce and i won't entrust either to others.

This has become very popular in our main grocery store. I see several gigantic rolling carts with shelves and compartments and someone filling orders every time we shop now. The store heavily promoted the service a few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom