Sleep study...

cute fuzzy bunny

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
A new sleep study shows that amerrricxans are too sleep deprived. Three things stood out - misctakes at work, preferrig sleep to sex, forgetting stuff, and I dont remember what the last thing was.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory?id=622436

Which proves that ER is good for you. You get plenty of sleep all the time. You also get plenty of sleep all the time. And its good.

You get plenty of sleep all the time.  And its good.
As a new parent I doubt you retain any credibility on the subject of "plenty of sleep"!

It's true that a lots of workers (especially those in high stress or leadership positions) in the U.S. are sleep deprived. Management continues to push for more productivity and responsibilities. The criteria for advancements, if any, will be based on "go beyond than expected", "discover problems and take ownership", "influence others to produce more", and others while getting your work done ahead of schedule. If you can accomplish all these, you might get a raise of 5% (that is better than average of 3%).

Spanky

What I found interesting about the study was that it reported that most adults get 6.9 hours of sleep, but that's not enough, they need 7-9 hours a night. I get 6-7 a night, and that's plenty.

Any get that much and feel its not enough? How much sleep do you need a night?

take a nap whenever the mood strRe: Sleep study...

What night? In ER I take a nap whenever the mood strikes. I usually sleep 6-7 hours per night or as needed.

The interesting part of that article was on page 2:

The National Sleep Foundation (who sponsored the study) is a nonprofit organization that lobbies Congress and state governments on public health and safety issues surrounding sleep disorders and deprivation, including drowsy driving and school start times. It receives its funding from the sleep products industry, pharmaceutical companies, other corporate sponsors, physicians, clinics and sleep centers.  In other words, they want to sell you some sleeping pills to help your "disorder".

> Regarding how much sleep do you need, it varies from person to person and to my knowledge, to this day it is not fully understood why some people need as much as 9 hrs where other people can feel fully rested with as little as 6 hrs.   So the right amount of sleep is however much it takes for you to feel fully rested.

It receives its funding from the sleep products industry, pharmaceutical companies, other corporate sponsors, physicians, clinics and sleep centers. In other words, they want to sell you some sleeping pills to help your "disorder".

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!!

Remember kids, smart people dont believe any study until they know who paid for it and have pondered why they paid for it! ;)

And yes, sleep varies wildly from one person to the next, and changes as you age. Most people sleep less and less as they get older.

A very interesting tidbit? Most 'genius/inventor' types sleep very little. If you go back and read your history on all of the big inventors, you'll find a common thread that they often slept 2-3 hours a day and fiddled with stuff through the night.

Nords...sleep so far isnt a huge problem as we're breaking it into shifts. I hardly ever go to sleep before 1-2am and my wife usually gets to bed around 10 and is up around 5-6am. He sleeps at least 3 and often 4-5 hours at a pop. So I put him down at 10, change and feed him before I go to bed at 2, and she has him when he wakes up around 5-6 and I'm free to snooze until 'whenever'. When she goes back to work and I have him for 20 hours straight, three days a week, that may have me singing a different tune, but he'll be almost six months old by then and I'll bet he sleeps through the night.

Also, in what might deserve its own thread 'AIYEEEE Part Deux', in the middle of some light chit-chat last night the Goddess dropped the line "you know...I wouldnt mind having another one".

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Hmm... Smart people sleep less. Does that mean that people who are not so smart require more sleep?

Do people need less sleep as they grow older?
According to some experts, the answer is no. As one gets older, he/she loses the ability to sleep for long periods of time and to get into the deep restful sleep.

Maybe not smart people, but creative people. Lack of sleep creates a scenario for increased unconventional thinking...

... but he'll be almost six months old by then and I'll bet he sleeps through the night.

Also, in what might deserve its own thread 'AIYEEEE Part Deux', in the middle of some light chit-chat last night the Goddess dropped the line "you know...I wouldnt mind having another one".

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
You've read about the concept of "teething", right?

I'm just jealous. Ours didn't sleep regularly through the night until she was six. YEARS. I'm sure your kid will be different.

As far as more kids goes, you're sure she was planning to embark on that project with you, right?

Of course considering the free child care, housecleaning, & food service that's what she'll probably decide to do. But the auditions could be tough.

I'm already suspicious, 'cause this guy is way too cute for any of my DNA to have been involved...

And he's been wailing steadily for the past 3 hours while she's been out shopping, so my sperm count has now dropped to a negative value...I guess its moot ;)

Back
Top Bottom