Teenage drivers!

We pay our kid's insurance, but they are expected to get the 'good driver' and 'good student' discount, and pay the difference if they don't. They're also responsible for any tickets, or increases in insurance due to tickets/accidents.

My DGF's nephew just bought a 1999 Corvette for his first car. He is a sophomore in high school, but had a part-time job. The kid bought it before he even got his driver's license. He had to use the Grandparents as a co-signer. it's the worst car ever for Minnesota. Rear wheel drive.

His parents are not wealthy at all. I am not sure how much the insurance went up, but I have heard that it's not that bad. Only a few hundred a year.

Here in Texas you are supposed to list all licensed drivers in a household on your policy...

Our DS moved, but is on our policy... just added another car and the rates went up... calculated the DS is costing $2,200 per year more for all 4 vehicles... he is more than doubling the premiums...

I have having him price out policies just on his car since he is not living at home anymore... we will gift him the car if we go this way...

Here in Texas you are supposed to list all licensed drivers in a household on your policy...
I had forgot about that. My DW hasn't driven in almost two years (by choice) so I talked to my insurance company about dropping her from my policy. The answer was no. I guess I could tell them she's moved out (for whatever reason) and see if my policy rates would drop.

So I'm an NYC gal, born and bred in Harlem. we didn't have a car until my older brother got one when I was maybe 17, so the only reason why I got a license was because I went out of state to college and my parents thought it would be good for id purposes.

Now my sons were shall we say "late bloomers" in the responsibility category, actually they were pretty smart cookies, they quickly figured out that childhood/teenage was the best gig they would ever get and adulthood was way overrated. In my sons twisted mind, flooding the basement with soap bubbles and tying the dogs onto a sled because you just saw something on the Iditarod was a brilliant idea !

Needless to say, we thought in the interest of public safety they should not drive at 16.

while both kids worked, we wanted the emphasis to be on school work. My oldest is an Asperger kid so we definitely did not want to tie paying insurance onto being able to drive. He definitely would have neglected his school work in order to get more hours.

My youngest is still on my insurance. It really would be unaffordable for a 22 year old in center city philly to get insurance on his own. He graduates this year :dance: and the nano second he gets that diploma I'm getting him out of my pocket.

ps. lol, people have said I'm delusional but I need hope

I bought my son an old vw bug and taught him to drive it. his liability only.

The OP already said his child is anxious to drive, so the younger generation doesn’t care to drive isn’t applicable.

And for those suggesting don’t let the kid get a license or make them wait - would that have been OK when you reached driving age? I know I would have been more than a little “disappointed.” Most kids are going to drive sooner or later - they might be better off learning while they’re still under your roof, and you at can least observe/supervise some, than off on their own. It’s a parental responsibility to send their kids into the world as a responsible driver IMO.

And for those suggesting they can pay if they pay/offset the insurance premium hike - a little more hardcore, but not unheard of. My Dad made me pay what I could for insurance and gas (IOW have some job income), and he took care of the rest.

Tying grades and/or or what they drive to a license certainly seems reasonable to me, my Dad tied almost every privilege to grades from kindergarten thru college. YMMV

Last edited:
I had forgot about that. My DW hasn't driven in almost two years (by choice) so I talked to my insurance company about dropping her from my policy. The answer was no. I guess I could tell them she's moved out (for whatever reason) and see if my policy rates would drop.

Probably not.... women drivers are safer than men...

I can go online and do any kind of modeling and see what happens to rates... maybe you can also.... or just call your agent and ask..

Hey, my oldest totaled a car on his way to work ten days after getting his driver's license in Queens, New York. (No alcohol involved.)

My friend's son (very responsible, straight A student) totaled a car two weeks in. My friend told his son, now there is a very dangerous intersection, the other cars can't see you coming over the hill, don't drive to school THAT way. So, or course, son drove to school THAT way. Obviously that was the father's fault for telling him NOT to do it.

I only know about car insurance where I live, and it is pricey to add a teenager to the policy. (In any event as soon as the insurance company finds out you have a teenager with a license, UP go your rates.)

The OP already said his child is anxious to drive, so the younger generation doesn’t care to drive isn’t applicable.

And for those suggesting don’t let the kid get a license or make them wait - would that have been OK when you reached driving age? I know I would have been more than a little “disappointed.” Most kids are going to drive sooner or later - they might be better off learning while they’re still under your roof, and you at can least observe/supervise some, than off on their own. It’s a parental responsibility to send their kids into the world as a responsible driver IMO.

And for those suggesting they can pay if they pay/offset the insurance premium hike - a little more hardcore, but not unheard of. My Dad made me pay what I could for insurance and gas (IOW have some job income), and he took care of the rest.

Tying grades and/or or what they drive to a license certainly seems reasonable to me, my Dad tied almost every privilege to grades from kindergarten thru college. YMMV

When I was growing up we had drivers ed in high school.... IIRC you had to be a senior to take it... I actually owned a car before I got my license... and I got it around 18 1/2 or so... I was the youngest of 6 kids and my parents were poor so they would not let me drive at any age... they did not care either... heck, the first time I drove one of their vehicles is after my dad passed...

Now, my DS wanted to drive when he was 15... I made him wait until 16 to start to learn... I taught him and he did very well... got it and took over grand mom's car after she stopped driving... drove to school for 2 years...

MY DD is already asking about learning to drive and she is only 13!!! DW is saying she needs to learn ASAP.... I say NOOOOO.... a problem we have now is I just bought one of my sister's 'old' car and now DD is saying mine is now HERS.... I heard her tell a friend 'I now have a car'!!! I am telling her no she does not...

Sometimes I think kids do not know how good they have it compared to others or even their parents....

Great discussion on this thread! Though there doesn't look like any 'trick' to keeping the insurance costs down other than the good student / driver's ed / clean record discounts.

Some feedback; my insurance rates haven't increased at all while my son has his learner's permit. Our state law requires that he have the learner's permit at least 6 months and that he completes at least 100 hours of supervised driving (50 hours if you complete driver's ed). This wasn't the rule back in my day and I think the change is good. It allows us to get a good feel for how he's driving before we sign off on the timesheet he needs for his license. The other thing that is heavily stressed with our son is that driving is a PRIVILEGE and not a RIGHT. So if things start to go bad we can take it away (but in reality it might not actually be so easy to do).

Regarding shared responsibility for the cost increase; our agreement is that he will pay half of the insurance rate increase (which I'm hoping is actually feasible with his very limited income). I think this may sway him into getting a part time job which I encourage. On the other hand, he's an excellent student and is taking very difficult classes (AP Chemistry, AP History, and Calculus as a Junior!) - so I hope this whole job / driving thing doesn't change his focus..

I guess one other positive thing that has come out of this driving urge has been that we've spent more time together. As an engineer, I'm a total gear head that loves to DIY for *everything* - especially car related. Usually I'm in tinkering in the garage alone. :blush: However, since he's going to get access to an older 4Runner he's been eager to get it fully up to spec. We've spent three weekends together upgrading the suspension, replacing a failed axle seal, changing the oil, and replacing the rear brakes. It's been a good way to do something together and give him a better appreciation for how a car works.

So if things start to go bad we can take it away (but in reality it might not actually be so easy to do).

State laws will vary of course but in MD the parent(s) can do that. One of the parents had to sign a form accepting responsibility for the antics of the offspring until they turn 18. The parents can rescind that acceptance of responsibility and if they do the state revokes the little darling's license.

In practice the juveniles have been known to forge a signature on that form, which can (and has) gotten them into a lot more trouble dealing with the criminal charge of uttering a forged document.

Great discussion on this thread! Though there doesn't look like any 'trick' to keeping the insurance costs down other than the good student / driver's ed / clean record discounts.

Some feedback; my insurance rates haven't increased at all while my son has his learner's permit. Our state law requires that he have the learner's permit at least 6 months and that he completes at least 100 hours of supervised driving (50 hours if you complete driver's ed). This wasn't the rule back in my day and I think the change is good. It allows us to get a good feel for how he's driving before we sign off on the timesheet he needs for his license. The other thing that is heavily stressed with our son is that driving is a PRIVILEGE and not a RIGHT. So if things start to go bad we can take it away (but in reality it might not actually be so easy to do).

Regarding shared responsibility for the cost increase; our agreement is that he will pay half of the insurance rate increase (which I'm hoping is actually feasible with his very limited income). I think this may sway him into getting a part time job which I encourage. On the other hand, he's an excellent student and is taking very difficult classes (AP Chemistry, AP History, and Calculus as a Junior!) - so I hope this whole job / driving thing doesn't change his focus..

I guess one other positive thing that has come out of this driving urge has been that we've spent more time together. As an engineer, I'm a total gear head that loves to DIY for *everything* - especially car related. Usually I'm in tinkering in the garage alone. :blush: However, since he's going to get access to an older 4Runner he's been eager to get it fully up to spec. We've spent three weekends together upgrading the suspension, replacing a failed axle seal, changing the oil, and replacing the rear brakes. It's been a good way to do something together and give him a better appreciation for how a car works.

Are you having him pay when he is in HS?

I paid 100% until he started college, so that was even after him turning 18... I thought it was my job to provide for him until he was an adult... the only thing I made him buy was the gas... OH, and I also made him keep it clean... he could pay for a car wash or do it himself... he mostly did it himself...

BTW, I am actually still paying, but it is coming out of his money allocation I made for his college... there is a fixed amount I will spend and he has to fund everything else with work or loans... so far he is doing both...

Are you having him pay when he is in HS?

Yes! Don't want to sound like one of those crusty old bootstrappers; but I paid for my own insurance, car, gas, and everything else when I got my license. That was in Idaho where I actually got it at 14 1/2!! Like others here, my dad helped me fix up a $50 junker...

Of course DW's parents paid for her car / gas / insurance / etc. so we came up with the 'pay half the increase' compromise.

On the positive side, my son is an excellent saver and has managed to squirrel away a tidy sum. So I think he can pull it off and it's better than the other plan he has for his money. He wants to build a 'Gaming Computer' (which is a powerful PC with high end Graphics). My 14 yo built one with his odd job and x-mas money and now we have to constantly drag him off the damn thing to make him do his homework. :mad:

Both my kids got their license on their 16th birthday as did I. They took a defensive driving class at age 15 1/2 and had good grades both which lowered the insurance somewhat.

While I was teaching them to drive I made them learn to drive in reverse as well as forward.

It was great when they learned to drive as they could drive themselves to everything. I was happy to pay the insurance while they were going to school.

I worked on 135 street 7-8th aves for many years. Did you live on Striver's Row? They had beautiful Brownstones.

I WISH, lol even back in the 60's those homes were gorgeous. I can't imagine what they go for now. We lived on 155 and St. Nicholas which is the Sugar hill district and then on Riverside drive. Unfortunately a lot of the places were/are being chopped up into smaller condos. :nonono:

Back
Top Bottom