"Temptations"/"Pure Romance" Parties

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
Has anyone ever been to one of these? A party at someone's home where the main goal is to sell the guests stuff they really don't need isn't my thing, whether it's candles or kitchen items. And lately it seems like I've been running into more and more "consultants" who throw parties for what might politely be called adult toys (I know, I know, the company I keep....).

I belong to a Meetup group for couples. Just social stuff, having dinner together. One of the members told the organizer that she wanted to host a Temptations party. The poor organizer was clueless as to what this entailed and posted a description about "a night of singing and dancing to the music of the Temptations from the sixties to eighties!" Finally, when it was explained to her, the organizer requested that it not be a couples party---just women only---and that there could never be any of these for-profit parties again.

I'm not missing a good time by not attending this party, am I? Do LBYM types actually attend such parties? :cool:

Has anyone ever been to one of these? A party at someone's home where the main goal is to sell the guests stuff they really don't need isn't my thing, whether it's candles or kitchen items. And lately it seems like I've been running into more and more "consultants" who throw parties for what might politely be called adult toys (I know, I know, the company I keep....).

I belong to a Meetup group for couples. Just social stuff, having dinner together. One of the members told the organizer that she wanted to host a Temptations party. The poor organizer was clueless as to what this entailed and posted a description about "a night of singing and dancing to the music of the Temptations from the sixties to eighties!" Finally, when it was explained to her, the organizer requested that it not be a couples party---just women only---and that there could never be any of these for-profit parties again.

I'm not missing a good time by not attending this party, am I? Do LBYM types actually attend such parties? :cool:

Generally men prefer that their sex toys have a pulse, so I am not well versed on these. But some women love 'em, some not so much, and some really do not like them at all.

If you are not alredy well acquainted with the types and styles you might like the party. They are not very expensive, and this is one area where you can get a a real bang for your buck.

Ha

Hmmm - a ladies only party (often with a little vino or other adult beverage of choice) - with a few silly games - but sooo not as lame as the ones we suffer through at baby showers - and lots of laughter!! Regardless of whether I make a purchase or not, my friends still invite me - and I have a great time! Good news - I have never WON or totally lost playing the game "I have never...." :cool: (just ask the consultant for that one!)

You might have fun, but the general idea makes me say, "Blech!". It's like a scourge that sweeps through the neighborhood every 2-4 years. All the homemakers on the block get swept up with stories of making a bunch of money working from home or whatever and before you know it, DW's next month is booked with Candle Light this and Kitchen Dreams that and all sorts of other nonesense. I have a "cooking stone" which takes up way too much space in my kitchen, various candles we never light, mini-choppers, slicers, organizers, fasteners, etc. DW doesn't want leave empty handed and cause hurt feelings, so she buys something in the $20 range. Everyone in the neighborhood does the same thing at each party. I fumed, "Why not just take turns all year long giving each other money and cut out the middleman? At least your short term profits would be higher!"

After a few months, the calls and evites fade away, and all there is to remember of the fever is some peeling black and white stickers saying, "making women's lives better since...." on the back of minivans cruising the neighborhood.

DW does say that if they have something called a "rabbit" at this party, it's worth the money.....? :eek:

....One of the members told the organizer that she wanted to host a Temptations party. The poor organizer was clueless as to what this entailed and posted a description about "a night of singing and dancing to the music of the Temptations from the sixties to eighties!"

"You got a smile so bright...."

This is actually a great idea for a party--I would like to go to this one!

tupperware
kitchen stuff
candles
home furnishings
jewlery
lingerie
makeup and perfume, company name starts with an "A"
baby showers with salesperson
bridal showers with salesperson
jack n jill parties with registry store rep

yadda yadda yadda...been there, done that.

but a Temptations party? where's MY invitation, huh Huh HUH ?

i agree, enough is enough with this madness. the entire concept of using your friendship to sell things just makes me cringe. i rarely bought anything, but i always brought something edible to share to help my friends hosting this craziness. and yes, i was making a point. :D

You might have fun, but the general idea makes me say, "Blech!".
I think football games are a much better deal than this...

DW does say that if they have something called a "rabbit" at this party, it's worth the money.....? :eek:
Years ago our kid had to do a science project, so I suggested that she study the behavior of her pet bunny rabbit and write it up with the title of "Rabbit Habbit".

After spouse spewed most of her beverage out her nasal passages, she later took me aside to explain that "rabbit habit" has a whole 'nother meaning that you don't want to raise (so to speak) at the state science fair...

I really can't stand those at-home-sell-you-crap-you-just-can't-live-without parties, BUT, these women-only adult parties...well, they truly ARE fun!

You get a bunch of girls together with some wine and stories and toys and...

Really, I've only ever been to one of these parties, but it was a hoot! DH was actually pretty happy that I spent some money...>:D

I like them smelly candles and potpourri things. I wouldn't know about those toys...

Toys for women? How interesting. Since I need to watch the budget, do they have discount items...you know like scratch and dent? Do they come with batteries; are they powered by electricity or have a gas powered motor? Will I need an extension cord?

I think football games are a much better deal than this...

Years ago our kid had to do a science project, so I suggested that she study the behavior of her pet bunny rabbit and write it up with the title of "Rabbit Habbit".

After spouse spewed most of her beverage out her nasal passages, she later took me aside to explain that "rabbit habit" has a whole 'nother meaning that you don't want to raise (so to speak) at the state science fair...

Well, I had to look...:cool:

Toys for women? How interesting. Since I need to watch the budget, do they have discount items...you know like scratch and dent? Do they come with batteries; are they powered by electricity or have a gas powered motor? Will I need an extension cord?

Pull start: like older lawn mowers?

Who knows. Maybe Chevy will make some since the car business isnt so well. A nice V8 maam?

I am usually too cheap to go to such selling parties at people's houses. Maybe I am too conservative, but I am mostly uncomfortable about talking with my friends about such toys. My old boss (a woman) at the university invited me to such a party but I didn't go, especially since she was my boss and it felt really awkward.

nah, just get a few friends to get it rolling and pop the clutch.

nah, just get a few friends to get it rolling and pop the clutch.
:2funny::2funny::2funny:

I have a feeling we'd never see that on "America's Funniest Home Videos".......:2funny::2funny:

That party sounds like a blast! Since I'm a gamblin' woman, I would bet a couple of items would be ordered in front of the other ladies, but the "seller" would have her pocket full of requests as the women were leaving for the night....:cool:

You might have fun, but the general idea makes me say, "Blech!". It's like a scourge that sweeps through the neighborhood every 2-4 years. All the homemakers on the block get swept up with stories of making a bunch of money working from home or whatever and before you know it, DW's next month is booked with Candle Light this and Kitchen Dreams that and all sorts of other nonesense. I have a "cooking stone" which takes up way too much space in my kitchen, various candles we never light, mini-choppers, slicers, organizers, fasteners, etc. DW doesn't want leave empty handed and cause hurt feelings, so she buys something in the $20 range. Everyone in the neighborhood does the same thing at each party. I fumed, "Why not just take turns all year long giving each other money and cut out the middleman? At least your short term profits would be higher!"

After a few months, the calls and evites fade away, and all there is to remember of the fever is some peeling black and white stickers saying, "making women's lives better since...." on the back of minivans cruising the neighborhood.

DW has enough Silpada jewelry to start her own jewelry store. She has been coerced into hosting a couple parties and her "rep" calls ME a week before Valentine's Day, her birthday, and X-mas to "let me know" what things are on DW's "wish list"..........:p

Maybe the Chevy VOLT has a plug-in for such accessories........;)

Any of you entrepreneurial types think there might be a market for a Netflix type operation with these things? Or maybe a rental niche - the old 'try before you buy' concept?

Any of you entrepreneurial types think there might be a market for a Netflix type operation with these things? Or maybe a rental niche - the old 'try before you buy' concept?
I think I'll stay with buying new and not worry about buyer's remorse on this one.....:p

Oh, yeah, I can tell you all about these. They are called Passion Parties here, and I went to one last month. All I can say is it is way more interesting than tupperware!

Girls were clamoring to attend the one my friend had--must have had 20 girls there. The consultant was a kindly looking mid-40s heavyset lady who described the items without much embarrassment. There were lotions, candles, toys, battery powered items and various other things. There were also contests involving a plunger and a roll of TP and a blindfold, but I digress.

I bought about $100 worth of stuff that was shipped to me a week later. Good quality, as described in the little catalog, and very popular with the DH. Not for the prudish, and plenty of fun. I think the consultant was booked for weeks/months out.

Practically everyone there bought something. Must be a huge moneymaker. I thought it was great fun!

Back
Top Bottom