What concerts have you been to?

I've been to a couple no one has mentioned :) :
Leon Redbone

Ahhh, missed that one on my list. He was great, very entertaining, and a very good guitarist.

And in that vein,

Martin Mull (on his "Fabulous Furniture in Your Living Room" tour.) Also entertaining, and he can play.

-ERD50

Good thread. Our concert tastes trend younger/newer than most here.
Not necessarily in our case. We buy/listen to "younger/newer" groups a lot. What's changed is the probability we'll go to big name live concerts these days, partly due to our age, but mostly because they cost WAY more these days [-]and we're a little more frugal[/-]...

Last edited:
I saw Santana at a free event in a park in Palo Alto before they were very popular (early to mid 1960s). Most of these were either at Filmore or Winterland in San Francisco in the 60s.

Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding company
Steppenwolf
Led Zepplin
Jefferson Airplane

BB King early 70s
Freddie King
Crosby Stills Nash and Young - Oakland Coliseum 1974
Bobby McFerrin 80s

Big gap here, single mom raising kids.

Trans Siberian Orchestra in Sacramento with my kids and. We try to go annually.

In 2014, it was String Cheese Incident, Yonder Mountain String Band, Railroad Earth, Bela Fleck, and the Carolina Chocolate Drops. Oh yeah, and Del McCroury and Ricky Skaggs. That was all at Delfest. At Firefly I saw the Foo Fighters, Jack Johnson, Beck, Outkast, Weezer, the Artic Monkeys, Ziggy Marley, Tegan and Sara, Amos Lee, and Third Eye Blind. And a number of lesser known bands. That's a lot of fine music for under $500. They're going to have Paul McCartney and Snoop Dog at Firefly this year. Should be interesting. I wonder if they'll sit in with each other.

Also, last year the Chesapeake Bay Blues fest was cancelled, but this year they've got Gregg Allman, Bobby Rush, Tommy Castro, Jonny Lang, Buddy Guy, Charlie Musselwhite, and Shemekia Copeland. Between those three fests and hopefully Wanee in April I'll have enough music to last me the year.

I don't think I'm going to go to any more individual band concerts, other than in bars and small venues. The cost is too high, the ambiance is less than ideal, and it just doesn't seem as fun any more. Probably a combination of the bands and me both getting old. And you can still see some pretty good music in small venues. I saw Grace Potter and the Nocturnals at the Bottle and Cork (a small dive-y venue in Dewey Beach DE) a couple of years ago. And I've seen Dark Star Orchestra and Trombone Shorty there too. But no more big civic center or stadium shows.

Last edited:
In 2014, it was String Cheese Incident, Yonder Mountain String Band, Railroad Earth, Bela Fleck, and the Carolina Chocolate Drops. Oh yeah, and Del McCroury and Ricky Skaggs. That was all at Delfest. At Firefly I saw the Foo Fighters, Jack Johnson, Beck, Outkast, Weezer, the Artic Monkeys, Ziggy Marley, Tegan and Sara, Amos Lee, and Third Eye Blind. And a number of lesser known bands. That's a lot of fine music for under $500. They're going to have Paul McCartney and Snoop Dog at Firefly this year. Should be interesting. I wonder if they'll sit in with each other.

Also, last year the Chesapeake Bay Blues fest was cancelled, but this year they've got Gregg Allman, Bobby Rush, Tommy Castro, Jonny Lang, Buddy Guy, Charlie Musselwhite, and Shemekia Copeland. Between those three fests and hopefully Wanee in April I'll have enough music to last me the year.

I don't think I'm going to go to any more individual band concerts, other than in bars and small venues. The cost is too high, the ambiance is less than ideal, and it just doesn't seem as fun any more. Probably a combination of the bands and me both getting old. And you can still see some pretty good music in small venues. I saw Grace Potter and the Nocturnals at the Bottle and Cork (a small dive-y venue in Dewey Beach DE) a couple of years ago. And I've seen Dark Star Orchestra and Trombone Shorty there too. But no more big civic center or stadium shows.

Love the bands in your lineup!--and agree on the small venue preference (other than the Ryman). Have you seen Punch Brothers or Chris Thile on his own? We saw Thile with Edgar Meyer at a small university venue last summer, as well as Nickel Creek at the Ryman. Those, and Punch Brothers, were outside of my six month window....

I saw the Punch Brothers at Del back in 2011. He's pretty amazing. I was always a big fan of Nickel Creek.

In 2012 I saw Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Raiders at Del. It was in between a couple of major thunderstorms, but it was a fun show. Steve Martin is a really good banjo player, but it was interesting to see the difference between a really good amateur and the professionals. He sat in with Del and Ronnie McCroury, but Ronnie was so much better it was hurt. Still a good show, though. And I've still got the t-shirt.

Oh man, I see more comments, and I realize I keep missing some great concerts I've seen (I really need to keep a diary).

So I need to add - Yo-Yo Ma / Edgar Meyer / Mark O'Connor on their Appalachia Waltz tour, at Symphony Center in Chicago.

Trans Siberian Orchestra in Sacramento with my kids and. We try to go annually.

OK, please don't be mad at me, music is subjective and all, but we were invited to go with some friends to see TSO some years back. It was... an 'experience'. We kept rolling our eyes and tried hard to keep from LOL with the other couple we went with, while the TSO fan couple that invited us were total engrossed in the spectacle.

Later, I came across this review, and it literally had me ROTFL. Basically, there are two kinds of people - those who want to see TSO annually, and those who don't. :hide:

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra is bigger - Chicago Tribune

... In fact, I'm not even sure the Trans-Siberian Railway can match the grandiosity that is the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. The Trans-Siberian Orchestra is so gargantuan and electrifying that in 2005 the TSO blew out the generators at the Meadowlands Sports Complex in New Jersey and now tours with, as TSO creator Paul O'Neill puts it, "the only super-powerful electronic motors" that can handle a holiday season megalith.

So, yes, it's a Christmas concert.

But as The Washington Post said: "It was like watching the spacecraft at the end of 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' touch down for 2 1/2 hours." And as the Independent of London said: TSO concerts boast "enough pyrotechnics to barbecue an entire school of blue whales." I did mention this is a Christmas concert, didn't I? And that it's not a joke? ...

During the shredding guitar solo that ends "God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman Gentlemen," the guitarist snarled at the row of grandmothers in the front. He thrust the double-horned rock salute skyward and spread his legs wide and dramatically whipped his hair while lasers punched through clouds of blue smoke circling him and strobe lights pop pop popped from red to green to gold and flames leapt toward the rafters and video screens behind the band shuffled through a rapid montage of helicopters and eagles and lions and JFK and wolves and flags and space shuttles.

Why helicopters? Why JFK?

Why, indeed. O'Neill is often asked why.

For instance, why a Christmas concert that revels in the excess of the '90s and sports the hair of the '80s while overdosing on the musical pretensions of the '70s? (And again, is no joke?) "Because the rest of the year, there's blood in the streets," O'Neill said, "and Christmas is the one time when you pick up a phone and call someone who hasn't seen you in years and even if that person has caller ID, they will pick up." ....

Next Friday TSO is playing its annual Christmas shows at Allstate Arena. If you are obsessed with TSO, you have your tickets. If you merely know a TSO fan or two, that phone call you missed was one of them, reminding you to buy tickets. ...

Then there's yodeling and a variety of singers and (no joking) a pair of stage hands who wave flame throwers back and forth. Everything is very dramatic. Every lyric dramatically sung, every line dramatically spoken, every hair line dramatically parted. Now I can see the appeal:

TSO is all peaks, all climaxes, all finales, all the time. It's like an imitation of soul, and so insistent it leaves no room for appreciation. It does that for you. ....

Ummm, OK. For us, it took 'pretentious' to levels I didn't know existed. Everything was dramatic on steroids, raised to the nth power, and then exaggerated for good measure - with flame-throwers and lasers to accentuate, in case you missed the point! :LOL:

And now for something completely different, a video of the previously mentioned Sippie Wallace on her own, and an audio/slideshow of Sippie with Bonnie Raitt.

-ERD50

Sippie and Bonnie! Thanks for that. Saw Bonnie and Keb Mo a few years back-really one of the best outdoor concerts I have been to.

Last edited:
Too many to count (or remember). Most have been country concerts.

I am most excited about seeing Garth Brooks in a few weeks! I am so happy he has decided to tour again.

I've thought of a few more since my OP, but you get the point. Been to several rock, blues, and bluegrass fests, thought I don't recall much about the line-ups,, or, in some cases, the festival itself!

I don't do large venues much these days. Maybe if they had a Laz-Y-Boy section... Don't do much nostalgia, either. Many of the old classic rock acts should FIRE, though I suspect many have drank/snorted at too high a SWR, and are touring because of the money. A few acts always impress: Jeff Beck hasn't lost anything; in fact, I think he gets better. But many acts are no better than a tribute/garage band, with few "original" members, and often sloppy playing and squeaky vocals. Anyhow, unless Lennon and Harrison reincarnate, and The Beatles reunite, I'm mostly done with nostalgia.

Luckily, there are programs like "Austin City Limits", "Later with Jools Holland", "Live From Daryl's House", and "Texas Music Scene", among others, that offer exposure to unknown artists, from the comfort of my iCouch!

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

Don't do much nostalgia, either. Many of the old classic rock acts should FIRE, though I suspect many have drank/snorted at too high a SWR, and are touring because of the money. A few acts always impress: Jeff Beck hasn't lost anything; in fact, I think he gets better.

I'm with you on that. He's amazing. The other old timers that were still great were the Allman Bros. But they stopped touring (together) last year.

But many acts are no better than a tribute/garage band, with few "original" members, and often sloppy playing and squeaky vocals. Anyhow, unless Lennon and Harrison reincarnate, and The Beatles reunite, I'm mostly done with nostalgia.

Luckily, there are programs like "Austin City Limits", "Later with Jools Holland", "Live From Daryl's House", and "Texas Music Scene", among others, that offer exposure to unknown artists, from the comfort of my iCouch!
Never seen Daryl's House or Texas Music Scene. I'll have to look them up, thanks for the info.

Too many to count (or remember). Most have been country concerts.

I am most excited about seeing Garth Brooks in a few weeks! I am so happy he has decided to tour again.

Not a country fan (lucky for us, all kinds of music in Nashville), but it was big news here when Garth did a surprise "giveaway tickets only" preview of his tour on Wednesday night at a club for a few hundred very lucky fans: Garth Brooks plays secret show at Marathon Music Works

(Hmm, google shows it made a lot of papers, which shouldn't be surprising for someone as big as he is. Akin to the Stones mixing in clubs with arenas back in the day.)

I've seen a few shows. I remember a "What was the best concert you attended?" (something like that) thread a little while ago that was interesting.

... Don't do much nostalgia, either. Many of the old classic rock acts should FIRE, though I suspect many have drank/snorted at too high a SWR, and are touring because of the money. A few acts always impress: Jeff Beck hasn't lost anything; in fact, I think he gets better. ...

I'll third that, and even amplify it a bit (pun intended). After watching the Crossroads DVD and youtube videos the past few years, I was super-impressed with Jeff Beck's musicality and versatility, in addition to technique.

So I go and dig out and digitize my Truth and Wired LPs, and they sound dated and somewhat pretentious to me. Maybe a couple standouts on each, but I definitely think he has gotten better with age. He plays so many styles now - well, maybe he did back then too, but the LPs only capture a bit of that. Plus, I can't watch his finger-work on an LP - I can only strum a few chords and pick out a few basic runs, and it's amazing to me to watch all the ways he uses his fingers and thumb to get sound out of those strings.

-ERD50

Anyone go to Stomping 76, I drove down with 3 women in my '67 VW squareback. :dance:

76.JPG

I'll third that, and even amplify it a bit (pun intended). After watching the Crossroads DVD and youtube videos the past few years, I was super-impressed with Jeff Beck's musicality and versatility, in addition to technique.

So I go and dig out and digitize my Truth and Wired LPs, and they sound dated and somewhat pretentious to me. Maybe a couple standouts on each, but I definitely think he has gotten better with age. He plays so many styles now - well, maybe he did back then too, but the LPs only capture a bit of that. Plus, I can't watch his finger-work on an LP - I can only strum a few chords and pick out a few basic runs, and it's amazing to me to watch all the ways he uses his fingers and thumb to get sound out of those strings.

-ERD50

And getting to watch Tal Wilkenfeld on the bass on that Crossroads DVD didn't hurt either.

Anyone go to Stomping 76, I drove down with 3 women in my '67 VW squareback. :dance:

View attachment 21214

I was there! dude! I went to Radford '74-'78, and that was the biggest thing that happened down there in the entire 4 years. That was my very first festival, and I can't really remember much of it, but I know I was there.

It was also the first time I ever saw Dave Bromberg, but it certainly wasn't the last. Now I live (half the year) near OC MD, and Bromberg lives up in Wilmington DE. I went up there and went to his violin shop. It was cool, but very upscale and for serious string musicians. You should have an appointment, but they let me in and Bromberg spent a little time talking to me. Classy guy, probably gets idjits like me in there pretty often.

Amazingly small world, isn't it? Do you ever get out to Floydfest?

One of my cousin's sons asked me what groups I had seen in the 60s and 70s so I sat down and made a list. I haven't been to a concert in about 35 years.

Guess Who (2 times)
The Who (7 times)
Jefferson Airplane (2 times)
Grateful Dead (7 times)
BB King

The Association
Cream
Sweetwater (2 times)
Johnny Winter
Edgar Winter
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Bachman Turner Overdrive
America
Moody Blues
The Doors
Taj Mahal
10 Years After
Savoy Brown
Fleetwood Mac
Country Joe and the Fish
Steppenwolf
The Eagles
Canned Heat
Big Brother & the Holding Company (Janis Joplin)
Howlin’ Wolf
Joe Cocker
Flaming Groovies
Youngbloods
ZZ Top (at CC Tap bar in Minneapolis)
Leo Kottke
Moby Grape
The Band

There are some pretty good concert lists here. This one would make a good wish list for me.

And getting to watch Tal Wilkenfeld on the bass on that Crossroads DVD didn't hurt either.

"Live at Ronnie Scott's" is an excellent Jeff Beck DVD, featuring Tal.

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

I was there! dude! I went to Radford '74-'78, and that was the biggest thing that happened down there in the entire 4 years. That was my very first festival, and I can't really remember much of it, but I know I was there.

It was also the first time I ever saw Dave Bromberg, but it certainly wasn't the last. Now I live (half the year) near OC MD, and Bromberg lives up in Wilmington DE. I went up there and went to his violin shop. It was cool, but very upscale and for serious string musicians. You should have an appointment, but they let me in and Bromberg spent a little time talking to me. Classy guy, probably gets idjits like me in there pretty often.

Amazingly small world, isn't it? Do you ever get out to Floydfest?

Only for important things.

PICT0045.jpg

I went to a Beatles concert in Washington, DC in 1964. One of my sister's friends had a ticket and couldn't go. That was it. Not a big concert fan. Too many people there.

Back
Top Bottom