Better stock up on bacon while you can...

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
I've never been one to spread gloom & doom but this latest economic news could be devastating to life as we know it:

...average retail [bacon] prices have risen more than $1 per pound since last year, to more than $4, the U.S. Department of Agriculture reports.

"The prices will go up even more in coming weeks because the bacon that's on the shelves now was purchased earlier in the futures market,"...
As bacon appears in more dishes, pork belly prices jump

This time it really may be different...

Don't we have enough bacon fat stored up in our arteries? :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

I've never been one to spread gloom & doom but this latest economic news could be devastating to life as we know it:

As bacon appears in more dishes, pork belly prices jump

This time it really may be different...

I've got one (pet) pot bellied pig.
Maybe I need to get another one and start a breeding program.
You know I've been feed this one for several years, maybe its time to turn the tables.:LOL:
Steve

Meanwhile, the government continues to convince people that they should get no COLA because there is no inflation...

I'm not worried because I can save money on energy by frying bacon on my sidewalk.

Hmmmmm....the link went to a valid page, but there was no article, only blank space.

I already had 2 lbs of bacon in my freezer.
Maybe I should stock up on tulip bulbs too? :cool:

My local meat market still has bacon at $3.99 a pound, and really good bacon from a small, local business to boot. Maybe I need to freeze a few pounds....

I'll have to get a big freezer to stash next to my cases of incandescent light bulbs.
tinfoilhatsmile.gif

I know no one likes to be lectured to concerning a healthy diet, but I couldn't resist commenting because it's relevant to the thread topic. If bacon prices are really going up substantially, that would be a good reason to quit eating it, as it's a fact that it's not good for us (too much saturated fat). Don't get me wrong, I love bacon, but I have given it up!

I know no one likes to be lectured to concerning a healthy diet, but I couldn't resist commenting because it's relevant to the thread topic. If bacon prices are really going up substantially, that would be a good reason to quit eating it, as it's a fact that it's not good for us (too much saturated fat). Don't get me wrong, I love bacon, but I have given it up!
If you want to hang around this forum without suffering serious flesh wounds you'd better rethink your posting style...:cool:

Bacon is the official E-R.org fruit.

Don't get your shorts tied up in knots, widen your horizons . Switch to Corned beef. Its great with home fires and eggs for breakfast.

I switched to turkey bacon .I know that is un american but I did it anyway .:) Please do not kick me off the forum I still eat pork !

Bacon isn't good for us? Say it isn't so.

You are hereby ordered to lighten up by reading all of the posts in this thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/bacon-flowchart-32035.html

Actually, it is probably the salt in bacon that is bad for you, and that just for people who are prone to high blood pressure. And maybe the nitrides?

Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease -- Siri-Tarino et al., 10.3945/ajcn.2009.27725 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
[SIZE=-1]Am J Clin Nutr (January 13, 2010). doi:10.3945/ajcn.2009.27725

[/SIZE]
Background: A reduction in dietary saturated fat has generally been thought to improve cardiovascular health.
Objective: The objective of this meta-analysis was to summarize the evidence related to the association of dietary saturated fat with risk of coronary heart disease (CHD), stroke, and cardiovascular disease (CVD; CHD inclusive of stroke) in prospective epidemiologic studies.
Design: Twenty-one studies identified by searching MEDLINE and EMBASE databases and secondary referencing qualified for inclusion in this study. A random-effects model was used to derive composite relative risk estimates for CHD, stroke, and CVD.
Results: During 5–23 y of follow-up of 347,747 subjects, 11,006 developed CHD or stroke. Intake of saturated fat was not associated with an increased risk of CHD, stroke, or CVD. The pooled relative risk estimates that compared extreme quantiles of saturated fat intake were 1.07 (95% CI: 0.96, 1.19; P = 0.22) for CHD, 0.81 (95% CI: 0.62, 1.05; P = 0.11) for stroke, and 1.00 (95% CI: 0.89, 1.11; P = 0.95) for CVD. Consideration of age, sex, and study quality did not change the results.
Conclusions: A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD. More data are needed to elucidate whether CVD risks are likely to be influenced by the specific nutrients used to replace saturated fat.
Received for publication March 6, 2009. Accepted for publication November 25, 2009.

Yeah, it's 103 here now. I'd think a few slices of bacon on the hood of my car would work well. With aluminum foil under it, of course....

This is why I'm moving to a cold climate when I retire. I have no interest in doing my frying out on the sidewalk. Its just dirty there.

Ah, the health Gestapo has arrived. Bacon, or any other food for that matter, is not bad for you. In excess, it may cause health problems, but so can too much of anything, including water. Moderation is the answer. If we were to quit eating everything that might cause health problems for us, we would all starve.

I am concerned about the price though. It threatens my plan of eating bacon morning, noon and night from 65 years old on to insure I die quickly of a massive heart attack, hopefully while making love to a beautiful 22 year old Japanese girl (don't tell my DW!:angel:) at about 89 years of age.

That's was my plan anyway.:D

I am concerned about the price though. It threatens my plan of eating bacon morning, noon and night from 65 years old on to insure I die quickly of a massive heart attack, hopefully while making love to a beautiful 22 year old Japanese girl (don't tell my DW!:angel:) at about 89 years of age.
That's a good way to minimize end-of-life health care costs...

Back
Top Bottom