Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-17-2019, 09:19 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Over the next decade (prediction made in 2011), Mr. Bogle said stocks are likely to generate an average annual return, including dividends, of around 7%. “Your money will double in 10 years,” he said. https://www.mymoneyblog.com/jack-bog...xt-decade.html. Of course, the decade is not over yet, maybe his prediction will turn out to be optimistic.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2019, 10:14 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not a Boglehead, but I like the late Bogle's even-mindedness in the face of market doom alternating with hysteria. About his 7% market return, it is far less than what we have had so far from 2011 to 2019. The S&P has grown almost 2.9x, for an annual growth rate of 12.6%. Will the market pull back soon, or next year, in order to revert to the mean?

Of course no one knows exactly, and Bogle along with others like Buffett would never claim they could tell what the market would do in the short term. But a look at past annual returns perhaps will remind us what move the market is capable of. Following is the past performance of VTSAX (Vanguard Total Market).

2011: 1.08%
2012: 16.38%
2013: 33.52%
2014: 12.56%
2015: 0.39%
2016: 12.66%
2017: 21.17%
2018: -5.17%
2019: 22.53% YTD

We had some unbelievable years, like 2012/2013/2014. The years 2016/2017 are also spectacular. I don't remember what made 2018 so bad, but the market crash at this time last year was awful. And it was short-lived too. The market is schizophrenic.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:15 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Over the next decade (prediction made in 2011), Mr. Bogle said stocks are likely to generate an average annual return, including dividends, of around 7%. “Your money will double in 10 years,” he said. https://www.mymoneyblog.com/jack-bog...xt-decade.html. Of course, the decade is not over yet, maybe his prediction will turn out to be optimistic.
I think he was predicting much lower, something like 4% return in 2015. I think I heard him say something similar last year...
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:28 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

The lower return number was after inflation, I believe. Inflation rate was 2.4% in 2018.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #85
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The instructions (below) sure sound like prorating to me.

Complete the Additions to Income area using Instruction 12. If you had losses or adjustments to income on your federal return, write on line 5 those loss or adjustment items, which were realized or paid when you were not a resident of Maryland.
Complete the Subtractions from Income area using Instruction 13. You may include only subtractions from income that apply to income subject to Maryland tax. Include on line 13 any income received during the part of the year when you were not a resident of Maryland.
You must adjust your standard or itemized deductions and exemptions based on the percentage of your income subject to Maryland tax. Complete the Maryland Income Factor Worksheet to figure the percentage of Maryland income to total income. The factor cannot exceed 1 (100%) and cannot be less than zero (0%). If line 1 is 0 or less, the factor is 0. If line 1 is greater than 0 and line 2 is 0 or less, the factor is 1.
If you itemize deductions, complete lines 17a - 17b of Form 502. Prorate the itemized deductions using this formula: Net itemized deductions X Maryland income factor = Maryland itemized deductions. Enter the prorated amount on line 17 of Form 502 and check the Itemized Deduction Method box. Another method of allocating itemized deductions may be allowed. Please send your written request along with your completed Maryland return, a copy of your federal return including Schedule A and a copy of the other state's return. If the other state does not have an income tax, then submit a schedule showing the allocation of income and itemized deductions among the states. The Maryland return must be completed in accordance with the alternative method requested. This request should be sent to the Revenue Administration Division, Taxpayer Accounting Section (Special Allocations), P.O. Box 1829, Annapolis, MD 21404-1829.
If you are not itemizing deductions, you must use the standard deduction. The standard deduction must be prorated using the Maryland income factor. Calculate the standard deduction using the worksheet in Instruction 16 of the tax booklet. Prorate the standard deduction using the following formula: Standard deduction X Maryland income factor = Prorated standard deduction. Enter the prorated amount on line 17 of Form 502 and check the Standard Deduction Method box.
The value of your exemptions (line 19) must be prorated using the Maryland income factor. Use this formula: Total state exemption amount X Maryland income factor = Prorated exemption amount. Enter the prorated exemption amount on line 19 of Form 502.
You must prorate your earned income, poverty level and refundable earned income credits (if you qualify) using the Maryland income factor. See Instruction 26 in the Maryland tax booklet to see how the factor is applied.
From instruction 13, Maryland 2018 tax forms and instructions (my bold) (here)

Quote:
Line 12. NONRESIDENT INCOME. If you began or ended your residence in Maryland during the year, you may subtract the portion of your income received when you were not a resident of Maryland. See Instruction 26 for part-year residents and Administrative Release 1 for military personnel.
If your state of residence or your period of Maryland residence was not the same as that of your spouse and you filed a joint return, follow Instruction 26 (c) through (p).
Instruction 26 just sends you back to instruction 13. It’s a loop.

Other types of payments might need to be prorated but capital gains and dividends have a declaration and pay date, and you only need to include that income if you were a resident of the state on the pay date.

From your post, you will need to prorate the deductions taken from your federal return. Not the income, though.

To not further hijack the thread, if you want to to continue we can start a new thread.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:30 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Huh

Well, it is looking pretty pessimistic so far... $10k invested in VTSAX on Sept 10, 2011 would be worth $31,319 at yesterday's close... a 14.95% annual return over the first 8.2 years after the article was published.

VTSAX Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares Fund VTSAX chart

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:38 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

I took ejman's post as saying there's still some time left in the decade for the market to crash, and make Bogle's outlook optimistic.

Darn, that would be a hard crash.

Old 11-18-2019, 03:00 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

^^^ Yeah, 36%! Yikes!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

And given all the previous "Wh***" posts, I still see on the Web people saying nobody rings the bell at the market top or bottom.

Ha! Those unfortunate souls don't know, because they don't frequent this forum.

Old 11-18-2019, 04:03 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I took ejman's post as saying there's still some time left in the decade for the market to crash, and make Bogle's outlook optimistic.

Darn, that would be a hard crash.
Yes, that's what I meant. The decade isn't quite over yet and the theme of this thread has something to do with a W**** something or other...
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:25 PM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And given all the previous "Wh***" posts, I still see on the Web people saying nobody rings the bell at the market top or bottom.

Ha! Those unfortunate souls don't know, because they don't frequent this forum.
Thank you very much, kind sir!

Actually I really don't have a functioning crystal ball. But if you all want to believe that I do, that's fine with me. At the bottom of this post is the one that I actually do have on my mantel. Years ago I found it hidden away in a dusty old antique/junk shop in Ponchatoula, Louisiana.

Moving on, today the Dow is up AGAIN!!! 28,036 . My portfolio is at an all time high AGAIN!! By over a thousand dollars compared with Friday, too. I simply love this and would never have predicted it in a million years.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (24.3 KB, 235 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #92

W2R at least when things go south please post back that picture
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:35 PM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post
W2R at least when things go south please post back that picture
This one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EvaHabberman120x120.jpg (11.4 KB, 230 views)

Old 11-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #94

I've been working this year selling equities and buying bonds to get my AA to 66/29/6. I think over the last 6 years it had ballooned to 84/12/4. The taxes won't be bad because 90% of it was in tax sheltered accounts.

I know its "dirty market timing" but it does let me sleep a bit better.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:37 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
This one?

Yep
That’s the one.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:43 AM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post
Yep
That’s the one.
OK, things haven't gone south but I got some PMs from other people tonight saying they also want her back, and I like her too. So, I'll switch my avatar back to that one for a little while.

She is actress/model Eva Habermann, and the avatar was one of the default avatars that we could choose from when we had the old software here. I love how caring and concerned and thoughtful she seems in that photo, and I wish I had her good looks. But I get tired of having to tell people that she is not me! So I usually don't keep the avatar for very long.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:24 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

I really don't believe in this stuff but I am selling everything anyway.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:49 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
I really don't believe in this stuff but I am selling everything anyway.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:01 AM   #99
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow. In 2007 laddered CDs were 5.75%! I didn’t remember them being that high only 12 years ago.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Wow. In 2007 laddered CDs were 5.75%! I didn’t remember them being that high only 12 years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised. I remember being able to get something like 5-5.5% on a money market account at Emigrant Direct bank, at that time.

The sudden drop in rates those MM accounts were paying caused a bit of an argument with my family. My Granddad died in late 2016 and my Dad, who had been taking care of Granddad, passed away about 6 months later. When some of the relatives were going through Granddad's papers, they found some old income tax statements, and one of them tried to imply that my Dad had somehow made about $1M "disappear".

Their rationale was that Granddad's taxes, from around 2007-2008, showed something like $7-8000 in interest being paid out that year. They estimated that would mean Granddad had around $1M or more saved up. I told them that no, you're thinking of CURRENT interest rates (they were still below 1% in early 2017, I believe). At the interest rates they were paying back in 2007-2008, you would have only needed about $150K or so to get that.

Of course, they didn't understand what I was talking about.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote