Poll: What kind of investor are you?

What is your investment style?

• Bogelhead: exclusively (or nearly so) index fund asset allocator.

Votes: 38 31.4%
  • Back-sliding Bogelhead: Asset allocator willing to use actively-managed funds.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • Traditional mutual fund owner: Own mainly actively-managed funds, e.g. Vanguard Wellington or Fideli

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • Stock-picker: Purchase individual stocks or ETF based on fundamental analysis.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Technician: Purchase individual stocks or ETFs based on technical analysis, e.g. moving averages.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equity avoider: Own mainly CDs and/or bonds.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Client: Uses a professional portfolio manager, follows a paid newsletter, or purchased a significant

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other or a mix.

Votes: 26 21.5%

• Total voters
Today, I'm a very happy, surprised investor. Ran the one-year-out numbers on my PF, and it's 3.5% up from the starting number; that is, after one year at a 4% withdrawal rate.

I've been a very typical investor, starting out with 100% equities until a big downturn gave me the idea of adding bonds. I looked for simple mutual funds that might have some upside potential. Somewhere along the line I also learned how to break the inertia and sell, and then buy again.

Edit: poll wasn't up when I posted: I voted Other as it changes over time, I use both actively managed equity funds and (somewhat new to me) indexes, and a lot in bond funds.

Last edited:
random. have Wellesly (oops - whadda we have?), individual stocks, ETFs, gold shares and physical, hunch and rumor buys...

Morningstar says we are +16.91% YTD, -14.2% for the past 12 months, and +4.5% since purchase. That doesn't count physical gold appreciation since 11/1999 or so or the tax loss selling of some big ol' losers over the years. Also sold some winners, but mostly big ol' losers. Rental property is beating our stock performance handily, but Wellesley doesn't complain about the neighbors or flush toys down the toilet.

Still holding GM stock (why is it going up and down?) and BAC (still in the negative area for us).

Last edited:
Mostly an asset allocator -- with a little bit of Graham/Dodd/Buffett "margin of safety" value investing and blue chip dividend investing.

Age 51 retired... 30/55/15. The stock portion is in mutual funds. I have some individual stocks on the side to take care of the hormonal urge.

Most of our portfolio consists of index funds. I do own however a number of managed funds, namely Welligton, Wellesley and PIMCO Total Return. The latter is the only bond fund available in DW's 401k, so it wasn't really my choice, but we could do much worse. No individual stocks except for company stock.

Backsliding Boglehead here. My largest core funds are all VG indexed. I have a few actively managed funds with smaller stakes.
Teeny tiny stake in a single biotech stock just for fun. :D
Pre-FIRE AA = 60/40
Post-FIRE AA = 50/50
Post 2008 AA = 40/60 with maximum 10% drift toward equities (50/50) allowed before a rebalance (or redirect DCA) exercise would kick in.

I'm an other.
Mostly actively managed mutual funds.
Also an LP available through my employer which is managed by a handful of boutique money managers.

I voted other.........

I'm certainly in a transition phase right now. I have gone from roughly a 50/50 blend just a couple of weeks ago to 25/75 now. Might go even lower when the time presents itself on a couple of stocks. Most of what I own in equities are individual stocks but do own a couple of managed funds. Will keep a few stocks going forward and maybe a few ETF's. I doubt I will ever rise above 30% equities in the future. Just a wuss at this point.:blink:

I believe he calls it "lumpy forehead" investing. :)

My liver can't hold up to the massive amounts of med's required during market crashes.
img_851563_0_0ff25d720d269205de68fc80b5a9b3e4.gif

Hmmm...you have a "name" for your investing. I don't have a name, I have a noise; ehhhhummmhmmmplbbbbttttt...

Hmmm... Wuss...Stimulating Investing
Been drinking high gravity beers again. May need help:confused:
Steve
PS. Also, been to dentist, in mucho pain. So over look, brain numb or dead possibly. Called in for pain medication from said dentist, now waiting to go pick up from pharmacy.
Honest ingine/engine/indian
Hit send button. will I regret it? Will know in the morning.

. Also, been to dentist, in mucho pain. So over look, brain numb or dead possibly. Called in for pain medication from said dentist, now waiting to go pick up from pharmacy.
Honest ingine/engine/indian
Hit send button. will I regret it? Will know in the morning.
Oh you poor guy. I just got back from the dentist a little while ago. Only sat in the chair for an hour. :blink: I'm in no pain, but my mouth is tingly...

Hope you feel better soon...:flowers:

I doubt I will ever rise above 30% equities in the future. Just a wuss at this point.:blink:

So nice to see you without the trademark headbanging, Dawg. I'm glad this market rebound has given you (and others) a chance to rebalance your portfolio.

Like in most polls, I am an "Other". I have a jumble of investments that I am only now trying to sort out and wrap my head around. My dear Aunt put me on to Vanguard a number of years ago and I am using them for more investments. I'm also trying to read more to educate myself.

Mostly individual stocks and bonds. As I get closer to FIRE I will be diversifying mor broadly in an effort to stay wealthy rather than get wealthy.

I voted 'other'.

I think of myself as a 'Boglehead' and believe in the concept. It's just getting to be a long journey to get there. Current AA is approx:
Index funds: 30%
Individual stocks (dividend): 15%
Former mega-corp ESO: 40%
Cash: 15%
I'm slowly getting there.

Not really my style, but it is my position today. Short and intermediate term bonds mainly. Some individual and mutual fund tips. Stocks, only company 401K matches. I believe in timing somewhat so I'm waiting for the fundamentals to stabilize before getting back in stocks. My plan is to build a Larry Swedroe's like portfolio along next year.

Oh you poor guy. I just got back from the dentist a little while ago. Only sat in the chair for an hour. :blink: I'm in no pain, but my mouth is tingly...

Hope you feel better soon...:flowers:

I went in for my octannual checkup last week, and got my cavity filled today. Currently drooling on the laptop.

Other. Partially invested in managed high cost sucker funds and an annuity through nearly ex-CFA. A portion in my AA index funds. The majority is in cash waiting for ongoing DCAing over a period of a couple of years. Some individual stocks for fun.

I had no idea that I was a "backsliding Boglehead", especially since I was never a Boglehead to begin with - LOL!

Audrey

Other. Some actively managed funds, some individual stocks, some alternative investments, some bonds, some real estate....

I also in the other category . Managed funds , Index funds , Bonds , Individual stocks & other investments .

Almost have my boglehead certification one more managed fund to unload and I'll be all indexed.

Back
Top Bottom